Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Who would you rather take to the island?

Prin
October 7th, 2005, 12:01 AM
I was wondering about this lately because of confrontations with the allergic bf about the doggies... Who would I pick? The doggies or the man? I told him never to ask me that because he wouldn't like the answer. :evil:

Not that I'm antisocial, I just know I need animals in my life to be happy. They have taken care of me when no human stepped up, and they have made me the person I am today. Since moving here, my stress level has dropped drastically. Something about the toads, the birds and the groundhogs is just homey to me. Having little breathers around me gives me life.

So here's the poll...

If you were stranded on a desert island, would you rather be stuck there with a pack of humans or a pack of dogs (or cats if you're a cat person)?

mafiaprincess
October 7th, 2005, 12:16 AM
He take allergy meds to cope?

My ex was horribly allergic to Cider, but still cuddled her liek a child and ended up consistantly sneezy and such.

Prin
October 7th, 2005, 12:26 AM
Somebody once told him if you take them too often, they become less effective, so he usually doesn't. I spoke with a few pharmacists and they say sometimes you can develop a resistance to the antihistamine, but usually, you can go through life taking the same pills without any trouble.

He falls asleep on Boo's futon instead of the sofa. :rolleyes: There is always another factor around when he gets allergies, but he always blames it on the dogs or me for having dogs. He has become more understanding lately because he knows he's dispensible :evil: compared with the dogs (dogs were here first- not these ones, but dogs in general). I told him boyfriends are like chocolate and dogs are like money. You can live without chocolate but it won't be as much fun, but you'd have a miserable life living without a penny. That's how I feel, and it's one of those things that he either has to accept or I'm gone. So he's accepting. ;) Slowly.

It's also because of this greyhound I'm trying to foster. The man's been travelling all summer for work, and he feels like I'm making decisions without him- even though he said yes before and he is actually ok with fostering... It's just about not being more involved. :rolleyes:

To me, there was never any doubt that there would be animals all around me in some way. I've given up the option of having a cat for him, he will not take away any other animals. They are an important part of who I am, and I am not going to change. I never expected it to even come up in any relationship I had because I thought the guy would just understand and accept it- even a while back I posted in a thread about this that I would leave the guy if he limited my involvement with animals or if I had to "get permission" for any of it. And I think I still would.

mafiaprincess
October 7th, 2005, 12:47 AM
As a child I was always dying to own a dog. And it was always a no go. I knew I'd grow up move out and get one.. but it wasn't the way I planned when I got Cider. But in having her, I'd never be able to be dogless again..

She gives me what no guy ever has. And she's been there and didn't leave the way the ex did.. I like that stability..

In online dating site issues, I've had a few animal haters crop up. And that would so never work..

Hi I have a dog, want more, and you think they belong outside. Byeeee.

Prin
October 7th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Hi I have a dog, want more I think that's going to be my new pick up line... :D

So are you bringing dogs to your desert island?

mafiaprincess
October 7th, 2005, 12:55 AM
LMAO. Only if you'll be hooking me up with a budget to get my new family together, lol.

That's a hot pick up line. I think you should totally use it.

I love Cider but would love to have two danes to make a family with. And you have to love animals to want big ones who may be drooly..

So I need lovers of animals totally.

Should make that my tag line on dating sites now..

Prin
October 7th, 2005, 12:58 AM
Yeah, but that could swing the other way too... :eek: :yuck:

How about: "I love animals in moderation" or "I live in a zoo... Literally." or "Love me, love my pack." :D

mafiaprincess
October 7th, 2005, 01:08 AM
"I live in a zoo... Literally." or "Love me, love my pack." :D

Those would make awesome tag lines.....

Yeah I was debating on trying dating sites for pet people.. and in trying to explain it to friends they thought it was the too far way..

I thought it might be easier to start with the common ground of being pet people..

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 7th, 2005, 08:28 AM
So does this mean our own dog, if so of course I would take him. If not I choose only humans not that I dont love dogs and cats, but what if we werent able to take care of the dog, or something happened to it, or it starved, because it wasnt used to fresh killed rats, birds, fish or whatever we could find. There is no solid gold food, the water is iffy, and there is no pets brought along on survivor. IMHO a dessert Island is no place to for a pet. They might not adopt to people living on deserted Islands either.

Prin
October 7th, 2005, 09:21 AM
I'd say your dog could come, and maybe 5 or 6 that you are travelling with at the time of being stranded- so you could know them...

Rick C
October 7th, 2005, 10:03 AM
A cat. . . . they bury their poop. That would be important on a desert island.

Also, a cat wouldn't eat me as fast as a dog would if there were no food and I got weak.

Lots of advantages to having a cat over a dog on a desert island. :angel:

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

SnowDancer
October 7th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Rick, I could be wrong, but I read something in more than one place that said that say you should die at home and no one find you, after a couple of days, the cat would eat you - forgetting that you are his/her Mom or Dad, whereas the dog would most definitely not forget. That would sure be the case with my cat!

Sunkist/Winnie
October 7th, 2005, 10:24 AM
So I guess when Winnie is stomping all over me at 6:30 am I should get up and feed her before I become her breakfast??? :D

Beaglemom
October 7th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Sunkist/Winnie, I think you better! Now I know why Dinah (our cat) used to climb up on top of me and stare at my face while I slept, I think she's checking to see if I'm still breathing!

I have heard of stories though where dogs stay by their owners side and will not leave them, even after their owner's pass and the dog would be better off leaving in order to survive.

Prin
October 7th, 2005, 11:16 AM
LOL I remember the CSI where the woman got feasted upon... Pretty scary. I think dogs wouldn't kill you if you were weak. I think they'd gang up on you when you were strong. Challenge you as a pack and then eat you. They don't like their meat too tough... Fresh and healthy.... :evil:

Puppyluv
October 7th, 2005, 11:50 AM
I would MUCH rather have dogs as my companions, I mean I already live alone with just a dog, and in the middle of winter, i'm not much less isolated than the island situation.
However, if this island lacked food, I think I would have a hard time sacrificing the beautiful dogs for my tummy. (Not that I'm all for canibalism or anything :eek: ) Come to think of it, the dogs will probably sacrifice me before I can even consider sacrificing one of them.. Unless it's Layla, who's too much of a whimp, and would just eat the sand :rolleyes:

Rick C
October 7th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Rick, I could be wrong, but I read something in more than one place that said that say you should die at home and no one find you, after a couple of days, the cat would eat you - forgetting that you are his/her Mom or Dad, whereas the dog would most definitely not forget.

One of the great fears of the elderly is that they will expire in their apartments and be eaten by their pets.

My mother-in-law once lived in an old folks apartment building where everyone was required to turn a plaque on their door in the morning, signalling they were mobile . . . . and obviously signalling they were alive.

Dogs feasting on corpses is a routine site in a disaster zone. . . . . starvation would reduce them to their primal state.

Sorry to bring it up and wreck the thread!!! :sorry:

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
October 7th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Doesn't wreck the thread. We can't live in fantasyland without the logic and knowledge we have already acquired anyway. That's why fantasyland is more fun when you're really little... :D

I think dogs would feast on corpses, but not their master's. If there was John Doe Corpse right there, sure, it's a meal.

shannonRN
October 7th, 2005, 01:43 PM
My choice isn't there....I'd rather take Matthew McConaughey, and not a boat in sight :p

Prin
October 7th, 2005, 01:50 PM
I hear he makes good beer chicken... :D

mafiaprincess
October 7th, 2005, 02:55 PM
My mother-in-law once lived in an old folks apartment building where everyone was required to turn a plaque on their door in the morning, signalling they were mobile . . . . and obviously signalling they were alive.

My friend had a grandmother in a senior's apt building, and they required that too. I found it really sad, but her grams had a fall one night, and couldn't get back up, broke her hip.. and laid on the floor till they came in to the apt because she hadn't turned her plaque.. saved her life..

melanie
October 9th, 2005, 06:00 PM
i would have to take a human, even though i am vegetarian i dont know the vegetative state or structure of this island. so i must take a human because if there is no food i would feel alot better about eating a human than eating my dog. i jsut could not eat charlie, but hubby, if pushed i think i would consider...... but an animal no way. :D :angel: