Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Babys Progress

xFire Angelx
October 6th, 2005, 05:37 PM
well guys baby is doing great today...
hes meowing like crazy and wanting out... trying to break the screen in my window and go outside... yeah hes doing great... trying to jump.... get on my desk... get behind my computer tower and go in the corner... go behind my tv... LOL hes feeling quite well today it seems :crazy: i hope he falls asleep soon so i can sit back and relax for a bit hehehe

the gang
October 6th, 2005, 06:27 PM
go baby go, your mom is wounderful and you too!!!!! :thumbs up

xFire Angelx
October 6th, 2005, 06:39 PM
he wont stop meowing and he keeps wanting out of my room but hes walked enough LOL time to plop him in the kennel and hope he falls asleep soon... this is his normal sleeping time but because hes doign so good and doesnt know his limitations he wants to explore everythign and see what has changed lol gah good thing i have ear plugs hehe

xFire Angelx
October 7th, 2005, 12:56 AM
well baby just wont stop licking his wound and i put the e-collar on him and the poor thing cant move or nothin cuz its so uncomfortable for him
plus he cant eat or drink or even sleep with that thing on so all he can do is sit there
so this evening my mom and i decided to order a soft e-collar(no place around here sells them and its gonna suck waiting to get it but gotta do whatcha gotta do) we saw the normal soft e-collar but found another kind with a pillow in it that comes up more often than the blue ones that they usually sell at the vets
http://www.bonafido.com/page6.html
has anyone used this before?
is it good? the regular soft e-collar is less than $8 and the pillow one is $20 so id like to know if the pillow one is worth it cuz i want my baby to be as comfortable as possible with those darn things on him.

Prin
October 7th, 2005, 01:02 AM
Just looking at the pics, I would wonder if the animal can reach the back leg... You just have to be careful about that.

xFire Angelx
October 7th, 2005, 02:23 AM
it looks like he might be able to reach the paws but thats it
the pillow thingy is 2 inches thick so it would stop him from lickin his read end

xFire Angelx
October 7th, 2005, 03:43 AM
well we're taking baby in to the vet in the morning
i think he might have ringworm so he'll be on some more pills for that
its right by his wound so i want it taken care of asap
im sure that isnt good for the wound at all im worried the wound might get infected now because of that

chico2
October 7th, 2005, 07:42 AM
I think the soft collar looks great,the regular one looks like a torture-device :D
Ringworm :confused: oh no,more pills.. :evil:
Let us know what happens at the vet..and I think it's time for more pics :D

xFire Angelx
October 7th, 2005, 04:19 PM
well we took him into the vet and we got a sorry no walkins until 2pm (it was 12:30)
well that was just lovely because my mom and grandma wanted to go out shopping today
then of course i asked them for the newspaper litter and they told me we dont sell that
i told her well we've baught it here before so you must
few minutes later she comes back its a small bag and its 5 bucks a bag you can get it at any store(wich is bs because my step dad and i looked around for it and couldnt find it at all) my grandma said we'd go and get some today and of course i didnt have any money on me so i had to go along with that
come back home let my mom know... ok well its 1 now you guys can head up there at 2 cuz i still have to get ready so go tell your grandma
i was so scared to tell my grandma i knew shed be so mad
and indeed she was lol so its 1:20 right now got 40 minutes to kill before we take him back up there again

chico2
October 7th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Well,it seems you have a hard time,between mom and grandmother.
I guess you don't drive yourself..
It's difficult when you have to depend on others to drive and supply you with money,mind you,at the same time you are lucky they help out with Baby.
I am waiting to hear what happened at the vet,that cat is certainly being put through the wringer :sad:

xFire Angelx
October 7th, 2005, 06:36 PM
phew just got home
its not ringworm as far as she can tell she said it looks like its just sore from him licking it(i gotta be more aggressive about keeping that darn ecollar on) his wound looks a lil red today but it looks great its not ozzing or smelly so she isnt going to continue his antibiotics anymore so hes only on stomache medication now
hes not anemic anymore she said hes at 35 if i remember correctly normal range is 31 - 48 so hes in the clear w00t
he had something stuck to his nose that i couldnt get off last night so the vet took it off and it made his nose bleed but other than that hes in great shape w000000t
im gonna try to get a lil video of baby walking and upload it to my website so you guys can see how hes walking... i just need to find the digital camera lol

xFire Angelx
October 8th, 2005, 03:39 PM
:( :( baby does have ringworm :( :(
the vet said i can put antifungal cream on it she doesnt want him taking the pills for it because long term effects... liver damage and such
its right on the edge of his open wound... i hope it doesnt hurt him
i put some on earlier and mixed it in real well and poor thing has the ecollar on i cant wait to get the nice pillow one it will be here monday or tuesday
he wont try so hard to take that one off... if at all... i wouldnt mind having a pillow around my neck all day long.. id be able to lean my head over and fall asleep whenever i want hehehe

CyberKitten
October 8th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Sorry to hear about the ringworm. Be careful yourself - ringworm is a fungus and is one of the diseases that cats or dogs get that is zoonotic, can be transmtted from your kitty to you!! (But maybe don't tell your mom, just keep Baby away from her ;) , I know that's bad advice but I worry what might happen then) Unless your mom has a weakened immune system (did she ever have cancer for ex? If yes, than you must tell her the cat has ringworm!!!)

You will have to be superclean and when you handle Baby, treat her with gloves and use lots of soap and water. Anti-bacterial soap - for very obvious reasons - won't help. <g> Keep everything around her, including her litter box immaculately clean!!

As for Yesterday's News (newspaper litter), I buy mine at WalMart, 11.99 for a large bag tho I tend to buy several bags at a time. It's wonderful litter - at least YY and the Sphynx Girls like it. Good luck with the ringworm, that is tough to eradicate but I am sure you can do it!!

xFire Angelx
October 9th, 2005, 04:57 PM
and now my cat smokey as ringworm
everyone is worried about getting it and worried our other cat weatherby will get it as well
smokey has it on the inside of his left arm

chico2
October 9th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Aww poor Baby,has he not had enough problems??It's just not fair :sad:
I know nothing of Ringworms,but it sounds terrible..
I assume the vet told you about what precautions to take and hopefully he will be ok.
How is he otherwise??Is this something that will make him sicker once again?
So sorry Angel,especially when he was starting to get better... :sorry:
I was reading about ringworm here:www.fabcats.org/ringworm.html

xFire Angelx
October 9th, 2005, 05:29 PM
no it wont make him sicker its fungus on his skin nothin more than that its just annoying is all
it makes the skin sensitive and a lil itchy and jeeze is it annoying
somehow i got it on my knees.... no one can figure out how concidering i never even wear shorts and ive only been to the vet since babys accident ive been with him the entire time but he didnt show signs of having it until 3 days after i found it on me and when i found that man oh man did i freak out and clean EVERYTHING lol
so baby me and smokey are all using this antifungal cream and hopefully nobody else and prayin weatherby doesnt get it

chico2
October 10th, 2005, 09:10 AM
I actually thought it was worms :eek: until I read about it,I think there is something called round-worms..
You guys certainly have had a rough time,it's almost like your endurance is being tested.
How's the rest of your family dealing with this new problem??
Hopefully there will be only good news from now on :fingerscr that nothing else goes wrong.
http://bestsmileys.com/hugging/4.gifto you and the kitties.

xFire Angelx
October 10th, 2005, 05:14 PM
lol no thank god its just a fungus
i guess people who garden a lot get it because its in the dirt and they're knees are always in the dirt along with their toes(if they wear open toed shoes of course) so its fairly common its a lot like athletes foot as well
thankfully my knees are almost cleared up and baby is looking better but its hard to keep the cream on smokey concidering i cant keep an eye on him and im the only person who is willing to touch the cats needless to say the cats are all being ignored and pushed aside because everyone else is so afraid to get it
and yes im begining to wonder if my endurance is being tested along with baby
hes getting depressed because he has a cone on his head all day long and he doesnt get any visitors and isnt allowed on a walk in the hallway anymore until its gone
and well i have a bad flu or somethin i cant even talk my throat hurts so much
anyways enough of this
im hoping later today or tomorrow there will be some sort of good news

chico2
October 10th, 2005, 05:27 PM
OMG, poor Baby,you and Smokey :sad:
My husband and I just got over some sort of flu,sore throat etc...it lasted a week for me,10 days for hubby.

I don't blame the rest of your household for staying away from the infected cats,but unfortunately the cats don't understand why they are being pushed away.I also don't blame Baby for being depressed,I hope you get the other collar soon.It just has to get better for you soon :fingerscr

xFire Angelx
October 10th, 2005, 08:03 PM
yeah luckily for the most part during the day baby doesnt have to have the ecollar on because he sleeps
the new one will come tomorrow or the next day thank god
but unfortunately im not sure if i can get the ecollar to work for smokey... his neck is wider than his head so no matter how tight i tie it it can slide right off and i dont want to choke him so i just need to do whateveri can for him
ive been sucking on hersey kisses all day long and they've been really helping my sore throat and ive been drinking pepermint tea w00t
well i gotta go put some more cream on the kitties now oh boy lol

CyberKitten
October 10th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Hope you - and the kitties - are feeling better today Angel!!!

You could always make a larger cone for Smokey, if you have bristol board or sturdy cardboard of some kind. Poor Baby - at least he has you for company! I hope you are looking after yourself too!!!

xFire Angelx
October 10th, 2005, 11:19 PM
im trying to take care of myself lol babys wound is almost closed its a lil smaller than a dime and yesterday it was the size of a quarter its not as red as it was yesterday either woohoo

xFire Angelx
October 13th, 2005, 03:56 AM
ok guys baby is doing great hes as fiesty as ever lol
hes walking about the same but everythign else seems normal
the antifungal cream doesnt seem to be helping much concidering its spreading still very slowly im worried because one of the rings is extending further down near his butt area and wow would that be uncomfortable
anyone know any faster ways to get it to go away other than oral medication and the cream?

CyberKitten
October 13th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Ringworm is a very aggressive fungus and often, cats need an antibiotoc in addition to the topical cream. Here is a site that describes all the various treatments better than I possibly could:

http://www.pandecats.com/x/ringworm_battle_plan.htm

I wonder of Weatherby should be treated proactvely so that he does not get it eitrher - it is such a contagious fungus that he might have it and you not know yet - you can read on that site about how some diagnostic tests even miss it. (Tho I have to wonder how ringworm can be missed, :confused: ) )

I would let the vet know that it is not clearing up that quickly tho I do know it is something that takes time and patience. Have you supercleaned your room and his surroundings?

How is your own situation? Improving I hope!!!!

Take care of yourself. You and Baby and Smokey are certainly having a time of it!!! :grouphug:

xFire Angelx
October 14th, 2005, 01:04 AM
yeah weatherby is going to be treated im worried about babys ringworm so i think all 3 cats are going to be on oral medication... gah 3 cats on medication for a month thats gonna be fun lol
well my ringworm is pretty much gone... you can just barely see it on my knees and of course i have to continue with the cream for a week after it goes away so i see the light at the end of the tunnel WOOHOO

xFire Angelx
October 18th, 2005, 12:02 AM
hey everyone
well baby FINALY got his soft ecollar today the one with the pillow he fights less with it but can still wiggle outa it jeeze what a time we're having
he and smokey are on liquid medication for the ringworm its called...
griseofulvin ultra 50mg/ml
smokey takes a full ml and baby takes 0.6ml
does anyone know anythign about this medication?
i was told its hard on the cats im just curious as to how hard it is and what some side effects might be

CyberKitten
October 18th, 2005, 03:15 PM
According to the directory on drugs, Griseofulvin should not be given to kittens . It says:

"Because kittens may be overly sensitive to the adverse effects associated with griseofulvin, they should be monitored carefully if treatment is instituted.

Griseofulvin is a known teratogen in cats. Dosages of 35 mg/kg given to cats during the first trimester caused cleft palate, and other skeletal and brain malformations in kittens. Griseofulvin may also inhibit spermatogenesis. Because dermatophytic infections are not generally life-threatening and alternative therapies are available, use of the drug should be considered contraindicated during pregnancy."

Baby is 8 months so maybe it's OK but I am not sure if it were that I would take the chance. lufeneron is another anti fungal that might be just as good (I am unsure to be honest how the 2 compare).

It also says:

Griseofulvin can cause anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, anemia, neutropenia, leukopenia, depression, ataxia, hepatotoxicity or dermatitis/photosensitivity. With the exception of GI symptoms, adverse effects are uncommon at usual doses. Cats, particularly kittens, may be more susceptible to adverse effects than other species. This could be due to this speciesí propensity to more slowly form glucuronide conjugates and thus metabolize the drug at a slower rate than either dogs or humans.

With everything you are coping with, you might find something else for Baby!

xFire Angelx
October 18th, 2005, 04:11 PM
well baby is 8 years old as much as he thinks he is a kitten he isnt lol
im very worried about the skin around his wound... its getting a little darker everyday it could be anything its starting to look almost like a bruise.. he lays on that side alot plus at night when he gets the ecollar off he licks it like crazy... im worried the skin might be dying but my mom told me we're at $1500 and WILL NOT take him back to the vet because she wont pay anymore
well last night she told me she was at $1350 and then she got the $78 medication for smokey and baby and somehow that equals $1500 in some way well anyway my question guys is
how can i tell if his skin is dying or just a bruise or whatever if ya like i can take a really good picture of it later today for you to see if ya like

xFire Angelx
October 18th, 2005, 05:10 PM
ok guys heres a pic i snagged some while he was on my lap sleepin
now just so ya guys know
those bright red spots are the ringworm i woke up to him licking them like crazy he managed to wiggle the ecollar off while i was sleepin
i circled the area in red that im worried about
what are the signs of skin dying?
what do you guys think? bruise? color rubbing off from the litter? his skin dying? i cant think of anythign else it might be so any suggestions would be great

xFire Angelx
October 18th, 2005, 05:27 PM
heres another pic of it

CyberKitten
October 18th, 2005, 07:04 PM
I am no dermatologist but I just think it is part of the healing process - as the skin gets back to normal and sheds itself of the ringworm. (with the medication's help of course) Or it's possible the skin was irritated from all the scratching and that is part of that. I don't think I'd worry about it unless it is a blister or gets larger. Though you could always ask your vet to make sure!!

xFire Angelx
October 19th, 2005, 04:51 AM
yeah thats what my boyfriend suggested but im worried because ive never seen anything like this before
its just odd