Galaxy viewed from a distance of 10 million light years and then Zooms
in towards Earth in powers of ten. 1- million, to one million, to
100,000 light years and then if finally reaches a large Oak tree. If
ever there was a witness to creation, these folks have captured it for
our viewing pleasure!

Once you click on the site, the software does all the work. Sit back
and imagine how perfect our universe is!!! You can play it forward and
backward to be amazed over and over. At the end it says AUTO...click on
that (to make show the word "manual") and review the process in reverse!

I had to slow the delay slider to 2 seconds just to take it all in...

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10/index.html

Rick C
October 6th, 2005, 02:58 PM
I somehow doubt the creators of "Molecular Expressions, Exploring the World of Optics and Microscopy" put that little bit together to validate the potential existence of God. :sorry:

Its keen though.

Here's a philosophical and practical question wrapped up into one though: "What lies beyond the Universe?"

We know the universe we see is expanding as though in a bubble yet we also know the space it occupies is infinite . . . . therefore what lies beyond the universe? Other universes? Other Gods?

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

jjgeonerd
October 6th, 2005, 03:46 PM
That's a cool series!

Here's a philosophical and practical question wrapped up into one though: "What lies beyond the Universe?"

We know the universe we see is expanding as though in a bubble yet we also know the space it occupies is infinite . . . . therefore what lies beyond the universe? Other universes? Other Gods?

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

...or the kids bedroom that houses the fish tank that we all live in! :rolleyes:

Luvmypit
October 6th, 2005, 03:50 PM
for all we know we can just be someones ant (human) farm.

Interesting though. I try not to even think about whats out there. There is just too much we don't know.

BeagleMum
October 6th, 2005, 03:50 PM
...or the kids bedroom that houses the fish tank that we all live in! :rolleyes:

That's awesome!! So possible

Prin
October 6th, 2005, 04:08 PM
One thing my math prof asked is "Is the galaxy flat or round?" I thought that was a pretty scary question.

Rick C
October 6th, 2005, 05:05 PM
The galaxy is flat, the universe is round. . . . so that's easy.

Is infinity beyond the universe flat or round? That's the hard question.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

jjgeonerd
October 6th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Is infinity beyond the universe flat or round? That's the hard question.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Can something that is infinite have a shape? A shape assumes there are boundaries.

Rick C
October 6th, 2005, 06:16 PM
And if you really try to wrap your head around that . . . . it will explode.

Can humanity really contemplate, understand and accept true infinity, space that NEVER ends?

Sit and think about that for a minute. Endless nothingness.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

jjgeonerd
October 6th, 2005, 07:01 PM
True, but that's a mathematician's or physicist's problem. As an engineer, I'm too practical to worry about such mind benders...as the joke below illustrates! :D

In the high school gym, all the girls in the class were lined up against one wall, and all the boys against the opposite wall. Then, every ten seconds, they walked toward each other until they were half the previous distance apart.

A mathematician, a physicist, and an engineer were asked, "When will the girls and boys meet?" The mathematician said: "Never." The physicist said: "In an infinite amount of time." The engineer said: "Well... in about two minutes, they'll be close enough for all practical purposes."

Prin
October 6th, 2005, 09:16 PM
LOL who would have thought I'd think like an engineer... :eek: But that problem also assumes the kids are flat. Kids are bumpy, which means they probably would end up touching at some point. I'm from the school of logic. :D

Schwinn
October 7th, 2005, 02:07 PM
And if you really try to wrap your head around that . . . . it will explode.

Can humanity really contemplate, understand and accept true infinity, space that NEVER ends?

Sit and think about that for a minute. Endless nothingness.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

I hate getting into that thought...

If the universe is infinite, it never begins or ends, it just goes on...same with it's age, it was never born and will never die, it just...is. Or, maybe it was born, so therefore, there was something before that. No matter how far back you go, there was always something. Therefore, there is something that alway was.

Same with the size of the universe, or space. Most would say it has no end, or if it does, there is something else out there. Or if there isn't, then there is nothingness. Yet, in space there is, essentially nothing. So at the end of nothing, is nothing. You can never get to the end. Ouch. My head asplode.

Eventually, I just convince myself that there is a big wall that says "Dead End", and that's where it stops, think about pirates (because pirates are funny!) and finally fall asleep.

Rick C
October 7th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Well, you make a good point for head exploding . . . . . if infiniti never ends, then doesn't it stand to reason it must have never begun?

Yet it exists.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
October 7th, 2005, 02:27 PM
think about pirates (because pirates are funny!) and finally fall asleep.
I think about cows. A few dairy cows chewing their cud in the sunlight. :love:

And Rick, Infiniti will end, just like GM, Ford and Chrysler are but infinity will last forever. Hee hee... smart hiney!