Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ear Infections

BeagleMum
October 6th, 2005, 10:13 AM
What causes ear infections or yeast infections in the ear on a dog? Spencer had a yeast infection in his ear about 3 weeks ago. We put drops in for 14 days, and now when I cleaned his ear this morning, I got a lot of the brown stuff out again. It seems to be back. I put some drops in again before I left for work but I think I will have to take him back to the vet.

What could be causing this? I have been giving him yogurt which I though would help to prevent this but it obviously did nothing. Am I missing something?

Beaglemom
October 6th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Some dogs, especially long floppy eared dogs, are prone to getting ear infections. This can be caused by many factors.

One of the main reasons is that the ear flap traps dirt and moisture which bacteria and yeast thrive in. This is why it is extremely important that dogs' ears are checked and cleaned regularly and kept dry.

Allergies, ear mites and parasites can also be the cause of ear infections.

BeagleMum
October 6th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Spencer has always had really clean ears. I would always check them and they were clean. I NEVER had to clean them from the time he was a pup. When we went camping this summer, he must have gotten dirt in them and that seems to have started it all. I know that he doesn't have mites because we treat him with Revolution monthly.

Beaglemom
October 6th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Grover, have you changed Spencer's diet recently? Sometimes the diet of a dog can cause excess ear wax production which can lead to ear infections.

Otherwise, the only other thing I can think of is that his infection wasn't entirely cleared up before.

BeagleMum
October 6th, 2005, 10:45 AM
I was actually in the process of changing his diet when we went camping so when I thought that it was the dirt that caused it, it could have been the food. Huh.

I am actually planning to switch him again as soon as I get low on this bag of food so maybe that will make a difference. In the meantime, I will have to get it looked at I guess.

I should have enough drops to last me for the weekend so I will probably take him early next week. I know that I would have a hard time trying to get in this weekend.

Prin
October 6th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Any allergy can cause it. Usually, if they're dirty, you clean them and they stay clean for a while. If it's allergies, you clean them and literally 12 hours later, they're as dirty as if you had never cleaned them at all.

It also helps if you dry them out after rain or swimming. The moisture can provide an ideal growth medium for both bacteria and yeast.

mastifflover
October 6th, 2005, 04:17 PM
My guy Buddy has chronic ear infections, due to some of the abuse he suffered, but I had my vet sedate him and cleaned his ears right down in the canals and then he gave me some very strong and expensive antibiotic drops and pills I think they were called baytril or something similar. His one ear is really good now and the other he still gets infections but I do use a homemade cleaner that is really great you can buy all the ingredients at shoppers drug mart the Genitian Violet is sold over the counter and I think the Boric Acid Powder it is fairly easy to find. I have found it to work really well
INGREDIENTS:

16 Oz. Isopropyl Alcohol

4 Tablespoons Boric Acid Powder

16 Drops Gentian Violet Solution 1%

Mix together in alcohol bottle and shake well.

Please shake this solution every time you use it to mix the Boric Acid Powder. Either a baby ear syringe or a plastic squirt bottle work well for putting the solution in the ear.

DIRECTIONS FOR USE:

Evaluate condition of ears before treating and if the are inflamed and sore do not attempt to pull hair or clean out ear at all. Just flush and then wait until inflammation is gone, which will be about two days. Warm the solution and shake the bottle each time before using. The dogs will accept the treatment much better if you warm it up for them.

Flood the ear with solution (gently squirt bottle).

Massage gently, wipe with 100% cotton pad.

On first treatment: flood the ear twice, wipe with a pad, and leave alone without massage.

The dog will shake out the excess, which can be wiped with a tissue. (Note: the Gentian Violet does stain fabrics so you're best to do this outdoors.)

Treat 2x per day for the first week to two weeks, depending upon severity of ears.

After the 2nd or 3rd day you can clean out the ear with a tissue or cotton pad.

Treat 1x per day for the next 1-2 weeks.
Treat 1x per month (or even less frequently, depending on the dog).

badger
October 6th, 2005, 05:39 PM
I used the same mixture on my cat, who had chronically dirty ears, no mites or infection, just an overproduction of greasy, grubby build-up. He would get into major ear-scratching sessions and sometimes they would bleed.

It took about three applications of the mixture to clear it up, miraculous really. I fretted a bit about the alcohol, since after a treatment he would clean his ears himself and maybe ingest a fume or two, so mopped up the mixture pretty thoroughly to reduce the risk (if there is any). I guess you wouldn't have this problem with a dog.

Give it a try, once you have excluded mites and fleas. Even if his ears are a bit inflamed (no open sores however), I don't think you need to worry.