Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pregnant cat?!?!

seraphix
October 6th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Hello everyone.

I took in a stray about 2 years ago she was unhealthy and thin... She has been doing much much better. However just recently my boyfriend and i took in some roommates and their male cat. He was supposed to have been neutered, but my cat is not spayed. She is now showing signs of being pregnant. ie milk laden nipples, a fuller rounder belly, she eats more and is much sweeter than she has ever been before.

She has never gotten out of our house so if she is really pregnant it leads me to believe that the other cat in the house has gotten her pregnant. Is the impossible, or is it more likely that the vets who neutered the male cat messed up?

thanks
seraphix

Trinitie
October 6th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Have her spayed immediately. A vet will do it during the early stages of pregnancy, thusly not adding to the pet overpopulation we have today.

I can't imagine how you've managed to stay sane around a female going into heat all the time. The sounds a female makes to get the attention of a male in the area is oh-so nerve wracking!

Please, please, please, have her spayed tomorrow (or sooner!).

Lucky Rescue
October 6th, 2005, 10:12 AM
It's possible the male wasn't neutered, although I can't understand anyone who could mistake the smell of an intact tomcat in the house.

Your cat has been thin and cranky because being in heat all the time is very distressing, unhealthy and uncomfortable for an unspayed female.

Ditto what Trinitie said. Have her spayed asap. Check the numbers of unwanted kittens on Petfinder and you'll see there is no other option.

seraphix
October 6th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Deb why dont you try reading the whole post before giving me a lecture about my cat not being spayed.. i said she was thin and unhealthy when i took her in two years ago... she is much healtier now. jeesh.....

if it turns out she is pregnant i intend to have the mother and the kittens spayed or neutered. the kittens will be kept or given to friends or family... at my own cost.

I dont know what i was thinking expecting anything other than lectures about the cat not being spayed. Thanks anyways

BMDLuver
October 6th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Deb why dont you try reading the whole post before giving me a lecture about my cat not being spayed.. i said she was thin and unhealthy when i took her in two years ago... she is much healtier now. jeesh.....

Its great she's much healthier now but that still does not explain her not being spayed after having her for two years.

I would suggest heading to the vet with her because if she's showing signs of lactation she could very well be close to her due date and too late for a spay. They can take an xray and let you know how many kittens so when she does deliver the count matches.

Lucky Rescue
October 6th, 2005, 11:02 AM
I understood that she is better now, but you also said
is much sweeter than she has ever been before.

She is probably sweeter due to not being in heat for a change. Sorry, I guess maybe I thought someone who leaves a cat intact for 2 years needed a lecture.

Yes, we lecture on spaying and neutering for the very reason you mentioned - accidental and completely avoidable pregnancies, not to mention health problems.

WE are getting calls every day about homeless litters of kittens, and there is no reason to bring more of them into the world. Spaying one cat is simple, and spaying/neutering 6 or 7 is going to be extremely costly.

I'm glad you'll finally spay her, but doing it after a litter is born is closing the barn door after the horse has gotten out.

Sorry this bothers you.

White Wolf
October 7th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Original question answered. Get the cat spayed, and the issue will be resolved.