Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Catch the Wind with a Volvo

CyberKitten
October 5th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Am I the only one who USED to - once upon a time - sort of like that Dylan song, Catch the Wind? Recenty, it has been reintroduced to a new generation of people on an advertisement by Volvo . I have to admit that even though this so called what passes for marketing by this auto company is shown at least once every hour I happen to have the television on, I could not have informed you it is being used to sell Volvo vehicles until I googled it.

In the search results, it appears someone agrees with me when they write in response to someone seeking the title of "the newest Volvo commercial with their entire lineup sort of parked...it's sort of a folky sounding song... Dylanesque, but I don't think it's Dylan... any ideas anyone? :( " One of the responses was "Try and Catch the Wind" ... kills what otherwise would be a lovely commercial. The singing voice grates on me and is driving me up the wall. Volvo ... really bad choice of vocal! I'm sick of the commercial being shown every five minutes. :angry:

Now I recall the song as peformed by Joan Baez and it may well have been written by Dylan - I don't know - but I liked it enough a few yrs ago to dl it from a P2P app. Now, hearing it is akin to nails on a chaulkboard. Arrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhh!!

It is subliminal seduction at its very worst. One has to wonder if baby boomers - and pls note this song is just slightly before my time <snicker> - I be pleased or dismayed that the previously beautiful music from important developmental stages of their generation is now utilized as manipulative hooks to reel in boomer car buyers? And I really think it ironic that an SUV commercial that is using an acoustic rock ballad that is about the futility of material goods and success. Unless of course, the GenXers who wrote the ad did not understand or "get" the song's point, ;)