Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How often do you bathe your indoor dogs?

dmc123
October 5th, 2005, 09:53 PM
I don't bathe mine that often and I should! I love the way they feel and smell after a bath. They are very good getting bathed and love running around afterwards....they act like little puppies again. It must make them feel good!

Just wondering.

Diane

Sneaky
October 5th, 2005, 09:58 PM
I bath my chihuahua once every 2-3 weeks in the winter, cuz she has long white fur and always gets mucky. In the summer, because I use flea meds, I bath about once a month, but I also shave her fur to about 1/2", pretty short.

raingirl
October 5th, 2005, 10:06 PM
We usually bathe Odin once a month, just because he has allergies and stuff, and we need to wash his tail/toes/face wrinkles really good. We don't always give him a full on bath, usually just wash the dirty areas, and rinse the rest. overbathing can make the skin dry and their hair shed.

Prin
October 6th, 2005, 12:39 AM
6 times a year.
1 in the winter, if the forecast is mild for a week
1 as soon as it's warm in the spring
1 in June (mmm summer fresh!)
1 in August depending how greasy they are (they get pet more at the park in the summer... Humans with their grubby fingers!)
1 before Christmas if it's still warm enough, so that family won't be as allergic
1 whenever they roll in something and just need a bath anyway. :D

I don't think you wanted a break down of it all, but, that's how it ended up... Yup. A rambly breakdown. :crazy:

LoNScamp
October 6th, 2005, 07:54 AM
I have always bathed my twice a year. Once the spring and once in the fall to help get rid of the extra fur when the shedding starts to get really bad. My understanding is that over bathing strips the skin of it natural oils causing the dogs body to work harder to create them, hence a quicker doggie smell. I always use Sebolux, which is a shampoo used for dogs with allergies and skin problems to minimize the stripping of their natural skin oils and then use cream rinse.

If they get really dirty I may give an extra bath. If it is mud etc. I wait for it to dry and brush it out. My dogs have been German Shepherds, German Shepherd/Rotti Cross, Husky/Border Collies Cross/Husky . . . .

PetFriendly
October 6th, 2005, 08:00 AM
I'd have to go with Prin's schedule.

A clean coat will stay clean if brushed regularly.

My little guy only has a bath if he's rolled in something gross (like my Mom's composter pile) or if he's really dirty (he had to be shampooed twice when we came back from camping).

We haven't been through winter yet so I'm not sure about that one. But we've been averaging about 6-8 weeks between baths. Otherwise I brush him at least every second day and that keeps him clean (He's a 10 lb white dog, so that's saying something).

StaceyB
October 6th, 2005, 08:01 AM
What do you mean by indoor dogs?

Puppyluv
October 6th, 2005, 08:21 AM
What do you mean by indoor dogs?
I was kind of wondering that myself, but I'm guessing you mean dogs who sleep/live indoors, (rather than being tied up outside all day and night :evil: )
Layla gets about 6 a year, but gets "rinses" after extremely messy/stinky adventures. She would love to have more though, she loves the bathtub (If I fill it for myself and then go to another room to get something, she'll jump in the tub :rolleyes: )

Roxy's_MA
October 6th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Roxy gets a bath everytime she finds something stinky to roll in on a walk or out in the yard.

BMDLuver
October 6th, 2005, 10:39 AM
I only bathe when they have rolled in something dead. None of my dogs smell either.

Beaglemom
October 6th, 2005, 11:05 AM
I only bathe them when they need it. We don't really have a set schedule. With our late maltese x, Shandy, we had to bathe her a little more frequently because she was a white dog and her coat used to get pretty dirty, especially her little feet.

I also occasionally use a dry shampoo in between wet baths. Brushing frequently also keeps the coat nice and clean and keeps the shedding to a minimum, not to mention the bond it creates!

Dogastrophe
October 6th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Mine get bathed only when required. In the spring it could be as often as twice a week depending on how muddy the park is. No baths in the late fall and winter as they don't tend to get dirty. That being said, they frequently get parts wiped down if they are not dirty enough for a full bath.

StaceyB
October 6th, 2005, 01:02 PM
ok, I get it now.

It is recommended for every 8-12 wks.

doggy lover
October 6th, 2005, 01:24 PM
My last dog I bathed 2 to 4 times a year, Tucker I bath when ever he looks like this.....................

StaceyB
October 6th, 2005, 01:36 PM
oh lord, looks like he had fun though.

BeagleMum
October 6th, 2005, 01:41 PM
OMG, I think that I would have a heart attack.

I give mine a bath when they stink but they both HATE it so I try to avoid it. If I can use the bath wipes, I will for their sakes.

Beaglemom
October 6th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Tucker is one happy dog!

Luvmypit
October 6th, 2005, 02:15 PM
ahh good ol tucker! I just love that dog!

As for baths. Capone had one the other day. And the week before that. Only b/c our backyard has been damp for a few days and he always finds the parts with mud rather then grass.

He usually gets one every month but lately its been a lot more. Dirty dog!
He loves it though so we don't mind. He is so calm and docile in the tub I wish I could walk around behind him throwing warm water on him so I can get that effect all day long!

We use Vet Solutions Oatmeal shampoo and I always get complimented on how shiney his coat is. The good part about it is its not a soapy shampoo so it doesn't strip him of his natural oils so you can bath them more often. I would reccomend this to anyone but more so for people who bath their dogs more often. I think you can only get it at vets offices though.

StaceyB
October 6th, 2005, 02:27 PM
My poodles are so funny. When they haven't had a bath in awhile they have no problem trotting through puddles and dirt. When they have been freshly bathed they will walk around as to not get dirty.

LoNScamp
October 6th, 2005, 04:21 PM
ok, I get it now.

It is recommended for every 8-12 wks.

I've been told numerous times no more than a couple times a year, three at the most.

LoNScamp
October 6th, 2005, 04:24 PM
doggy lover, having fun was he? He kinda has a "I'm a dog, what do expect look on his face" LOL.

doggy lover
October 6th, 2005, 04:44 PM
I call that look the country dog, this happens everytime we go to the cottage, sometimes its just worse than others. This is my nice clean city dog that I live with at home, can you believe the difference, but yes he has a ball at the cottage.

Sneaky
October 6th, 2005, 04:45 PM
I do my dog once a month, and she is never stinky.
It doesnt dry out her skin cuz I use oatmeal shampoo.
I just have to say one thing to all you people who only bath your
dogs a couple times a year PEE-U!
I have met way too many stinky dogs.
Bath your dogs people!
You may not notice they are stinking but other people will!

Puppyluv
October 6th, 2005, 04:48 PM
You may not notice they are stinking but other people will!
When your dog sleeps in your bed, you are always the first to notice a smell :yuck:

Beaglemom
October 6th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Sneakypete, my dogs are not stinky. I use dry shampoo in between their baths and they get brushed. This removes the oils that cause the smell and gives them a nice shiney coat that is odor free. The reason why dogs get that doggy smell is due to the oils that accumulate on their fur. There are also breeds that are known not to have that doggy smell, dogs such as the italian greyhound and the whippet. This dogs only require occasional baths. If they are obviously dirty, than they do require a regular bath. My dogs do get them, just not every couple of weeks. Some dogs are way too big for this, like the Mastiffs that can weigh 120 + lbs. Can you imagine washing them in your tub every 4 weeks!

doggy lover
October 6th, 2005, 05:08 PM
My last dog weighed 120lbs and was great in the tub, he would just stand there or sit no problem. Tucker doesn't want to get out of the tub thats the problem. :p

Beaglemom
October 6th, 2005, 05:16 PM
I know that bathing a dog is extremely important, I've just heard about way too many people over washing their dogs and then they complain that the coat is dry and the dog is itchy. They are worried about doggy smell. Doggy smells are caused by the oils in the coat. These oils tend to be released more in colder weather and so when you bring your dog in from their walks, well they can have an odor. A dog in the rain can be a little stinky too.

I like to use the dry shampoo because it is less drying and less stressful for both dog and owner! Some dogs just don't like to be bathed, no matter what, and it can be a hassle. Some people are unable to wash their own dogs due to back or knee problems and the groomers can get quite pricey. Dry shampoo is great for this. Now it shouldn't be the only thing. Dogs do need to be bathed especially after a romp in the mud!

LM1313
October 6th, 2005, 05:45 PM
We wash Ebony once a year, and what a struggle it is. We took her to a "rent-a-tub" type groomer a few times (where you scrub your own dog), but at her age she can't stay upright on slippery surfaces and becomes very trembly and unsteady. The bathtub is equally unsuitable. So now we wash her at home, outside, with a hose with warm water, doggy shampoo, and towels. Oh, she hates it so much! It takes her forever to dry off, too.

~LM~

dmc123
October 6th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Thanks for all the great responses :)

StaceyB, indoor dogs to me is like Puppyluv said, they are in most of the time, only go out to potty and get some fresh air running around in the lot.

Diane

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 6th, 2005, 08:05 PM
I am planning to bathe Joey once a month I have done it already once, so he is due for one on Oct 3 which is a few days ago. He is going for his first spa treatment, cut, style and blowdry and of course a pedicure on the 18th so I might just hold off until then and let them do it.

lm9012
November 18th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Wow, it looks like that's bad huh?? I didn't know! I'm a bad mommy!! We got Albert in October fresh from the shelter and he had the 'lovely' kennel smell all over him. However, since he'd just been neutered, they told us to wait 10 days to bathe him. So I found some doggy wipes at PetSmart, they are like baby wipes, a little expensive, but worked wonders. Also a friend suggested a little talcum powder when I brush him so that worked great. However we couldn't wait until bath day!! Since it was our first time bathing him we videotaped it and everything!! :p

Since then we are averaging about twice a week. He is very much an inside dog. Only goes out to potty and doesn't like being out too much after that. He starts to smell after a few days and since he's all over our couches and has to lay on top of us while we watch tv we notice right away and in the tub he goes. Plus he has a tendency to wrap himself up in any item of our clothing he can find. We find our shirts in his doggie bed all the time!! :love:
I do use an oatmeal doggie shampoo and i use baby shampoo for his face and ears. He doesn't seem overly exited for a bath but dosen't fight us either, we towel dry him and use the blow dryer on him too since it's so cold out. PLus we only do it at the end of the night when he isn't going out anymore.
We haven't noticed him itching, and he smells lovely, his coat is shiny and fluffy and bright white. We brush him every few days since he does shed, but even that is minimal. He gets his paws cleaned with wet wipes after each walk too.
Is it possible some dogs can handle the frequent bathing better than others?

Beaglemom
November 18th, 2005, 01:25 PM
You are not a bad mommy, you just didn't know. Twice a week is way too much. Everytime you bathe a dog, you are stipping its coat of its natural oils and are basically drying it out and will eventually cause some skin problems in the future.

There are things that you can do in between baths to help keep him smelling fresh and looking clean. Brush him often, this removes loose hair and dirt and makes him look really nice. You can also use dry shampoos especially formulated for a dogs coat. It looks like talcum powder and you just sprinkle it on and massage it in. Dogs love the massaging part! Then you brush it out. They smell really nice after this.

melanie
November 18th, 2005, 04:29 PM
well you may think were grose, but charlie gets done twice a year, or an extra time if she is particularly stinky, like after rolling in dead fish.

she lives in the house, and hangs out of it depending on her mood:D she hates baths so why bother with it often, only when necessary. i know a dog that is 9yo and never in her life had a bath, she seems fine to me, a bit on the nose at times but fine. im sure she thinks she smells good.

i think charlie gets insulted by baths, well she acts like it anyway, she thinks she smells fine and dandy, hey she puts alot of effort into rolling in things to smell this way, and then her stupid human goes and puts her back at square one stinking like that awful lavendar stuff, what dog wants to smell like a human, certainly not mine, she wants to smell like a dog really.

recently it had been 6mths since her bath, and ppl started commenting on the amazing quality of her coat, ppl i hardly know were saying how pretty she was, all that oil made her look hot i tells ya.:D

so it will be that long again, so she looks good. but if she gets hot spots that ruins it all and she has to bath, grrrr.:D

jessi76
November 18th, 2005, 04:48 PM
I gave Tucker one a few weeks ago, not because he was dirty, just to see if I could (in the event I ever needed to, I didn't want him afraid of the tub). to my amazement he was fine, stood perfectly still and loved it. He really never needs a bath. he cleans himself regularly, like a cat. he is the cleanest dog I've ever known. it's great.

100%doglover
November 18th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Only once or twice a year here. I too have read in numerous places that doing it more often will dry up their coat. My shepherd does swim a lot when at the cottage though so she does rinse herself off that way, but an actual bath only once or twice a year.

Byrd
November 18th, 2005, 10:26 PM
About once a month actually. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to dogs, but must have one, I am an addict... so to save heartache, I bath a little more often. Plus I can't stand D.O. :yuck: