Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog has allergies

Kona1
October 5th, 2005, 07:13 PM
:ca: I have tried everything, from steriods to bathing every two days. What can I do to help her stop the consistent scratching. Something I haven't tried, but I heard was to bath her in epsom salt. Does this work?

Prin
October 6th, 2005, 12:04 AM
I've never done it.. Has your vet suggested allergy tests? If your dog is really in misery and you can't figure out why, that might be the next step.

I would stop bathing the dog completely though. She might be allergic to the shampoos, no matter how hypoallergenic they say they are. And if she is, it might take literally weeks for the symptoms to subside.

Have you ruled out a food allergy?

mona_b
October 6th, 2005, 12:29 AM
Personally I wouldn't use the ebsom salt.Only reason being is if she has scratches,it will burn like a SOB.

What are you feeding her?

How long has she been scratching?

Bathing her everyday is not good for her.She is loosing the natural oils in her coat.

StaceyB
October 6th, 2005, 12:42 AM
Do you know what she has allergies to. If she is uncomfortable as you are saying I am surprised that your vet has not suggested anything to find out what the allergy is. Call your vet to get the proper dose for benadryl and ask them to set you up with a routine to eliminate possibilities. When did this all start. Did you change foods?

Kona1
October 6th, 2005, 01:11 PM
:pawprint: Thank you all for your responses. She has had allergies for now two years, but I am trying to find out if anyone else has experienced this type of allergy and what they are doing.

She has been tested for allergies, her allergies are environmental, so needless to say everything outside. I have had her taken allergy shots, for 9 months, didn't work, I even changed her food to Wellness which has helped a bit, Benadryl does not help. She's on steriods (Medrol) which I don't really like to give too much as I heard there are long term effects. I'm trying to find some natural method. I have to bath her because she smells as she has lost most of her fur and I find the medicated shampoo does help but for only a couple of days.

doggy lover
October 6th, 2005, 01:20 PM
No fleas? my last dog had terrible allergies to them. Try oatmeal baths, but baths dry out their skin too. We used steroids with Travis when his allergies were bad, even one flea bite had him going crazy.

sedwards
October 6th, 2005, 05:26 PM
We have a 4 year old lab chow mix who has been suffering from allergies only in the Fall for the past two seasons. She would scratch constantly and we were so afraid she'd open her skin and get an infection. It was so sad seeing her so uncomfortable. Last year we took her to the vet and he gave her a shot. She stopped scratching immediately. We took her again this year (the scratching started almost one year to the day when we looked at the vet records) and he gave her another shot. This time it took a few days to help her. The vet did tell us that as she gets older her allergies will only get worse so we'll have to watch her. Must be something out in the environment.

Kona1
October 6th, 2005, 07:37 PM
We have a 4 year old lab chow mix who has been suffering from allergies only in the Fall for the past two seasons. She would scratch constantly and we were so afraid she'd open her skin and get an infection. It was so sad seeing her so uncomfortable. Last year we took her to the vet and he gave her a shot. She stopped scratching immediately. We took her again this year (the scratching started almost one year to the day when we looked at the vet records) and he gave her another shot. This time it took a few days to help her. The vet did tell us that as she gets older her allergies will only get worse so we'll have to watch her. Must be something out in the environment.

:pawprint: When you say shots, what type of shots did they give. I just came back from the vet tonight as Kona was to get her yearly shots, but the vet said her skin was too bad and she has an infection, which she will have to be on antibiotics for at least three months. The way he was talking she is at the point that nothing will help except keeping her on antibiotics and steriods, which will decrease her life expectancy. Is she suffering too much that I may have to make a decision. She's only 5 years old. I don't even want to think about that option, but I don't want to be selfish if she's suffering. It's so hard. :sad: :sad:

coppperbelle
October 6th, 2005, 08:19 PM
You said you were looking for a natural method? I read on another message board that Colostrum was recommended to build the immune system in dogs with skin problems. I don' t know anything more but it is a start. I believe it is available in health food stores.

sedwards
October 7th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Our vet only had to give her one shot and it did the trick. It was Vetalog 2 Mg/MI. Last year she stopped scratching immediately, this year it took her a couple of days. Please get your dog on antibiotics to get rid of her infection and maybe this kind of shot will help her too. Next fall, as soon as we see any sign of her scratching, we'll have her back in the vet so she is not so uncomfortable. We felt so sorry for the poor little girl.

justncase
October 8th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Bathing strips all of the oils from the skin and that can trigger itching. You could try apple cider vinegar(health food store). Just put some in a spritzer bottle and spray it on your dog's fur and skin until it's well soaked. Dry the dog, as usual, but leave the apple cider vinegar on, don't wash it off. You can repeat this, as needed. Also try adding some oils to the diet, flaxseed oil or safflower oil, salmon oil.

justncase
October 8th, 2005, 02:13 AM
Do you have your dog vaccinated every year? It has been found that pets who receive yearly boosters tend to have more food and environmental sensitivities- that is, more of an intolerance to certain things in the diet and environment that, previously, they'd had no problem with.