Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How often to dogs need their anal glands emptied

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 5th, 2005, 03:43 PM
How often do dogs need their anal glands emptied. How to you know they need emptying. Joey has scooted a few times on his walks after doing his business (No 2). Does a vet do this, myself, or a groomer. What is the function of they anal glands anyhow. We have had Joey since about July 26 is it time to have them emptied out.

StaceyB
October 5th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Some dogs will empty them on their own and never need you to empty them. You can check by, oh do this in the tub.

Ok, place him in the tub, lift up his tail all the way up, stick your thumb and finger on either side of the anus. Gently push to see if you feel little balls. If you don't they are not full. If you do place your finger and thumb on the outside of these balls and gently squeeze. Your dogs reflexes will do most of the work so put very little pressure, on and off. Be careful as to not rupture them and wash area well with shampoo.

Puppyluv
October 5th, 2005, 04:17 PM
If you do a search on anal glands, you'll find a plethora of discussions, here is one that started as a poll"
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=16626&highlight=anal+glands

In general, it seems to be reccomended that you get your vet or groomer to do the job the 1st time around, so you learn what to do.

StaceyB
October 5th, 2005, 04:39 PM
You can check them on your own but if you are the least bit uncomfortable doing it yourself then have someone show you. Is his stool firm or soft.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 5th, 2005, 04:51 PM
I try not to touch his stool if I can help it, but between my fingers and the little baggie I would say it is soft.

StaceyB
October 5th, 2005, 04:57 PM
The reason why I am asking is because a firm stool presses against the glands and expresses them.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 5th, 2005, 05:00 PM
oh does this mean I have to do it. How do you know theyve emptied them if they do. Joey scooted on his bum once a while ago and left some liquidy brown stuff on the ground, could this be what this is.

StaceyB
October 5th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Yes that what it is but it is not something you want all over your floor. Check them like I mentioned and you will know if they need to be emptied.

StaceyB
October 5th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Scooting can be an indication that they are full.

Prin
October 5th, 2005, 11:27 PM
I would ask the vet to show you just once before you do it. S/He will teach you the good technique (so you don't hurt your doggy :( ) and you will see what happens so you can decide (more informed) if you would still like to do them yourself. (i.e. It's nasty. :yuck: :D )

Try feeding a bit less, like an eighth of a cup less and see if that firms up the stool more.

You don't want to leave the glands full too long because they can get infected and swell up the size of golf balls. Keep in mind too, that they could just be itchy either from allergies or just 'cause. :D Jemma scooted a couple of times on the grass and they were empty but it was still ragweed season....