October 5th, 2005, 12:46 PM
My male cat had a urinary infection three years ago, and his
stay in hospital cost me $2500. Each time it returns the vet gives him cosequin and predisone. I know have surplus, and my cat is showing symptoms. Do you think it would be safe to follow the same medication and watch him closely. Thank You
October 5th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I would call your vet's office and let them know that you have surplus and that he's having the problem again. That way they record it and you are certain that it's ok to give those meds again.
October 5th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Also, you shoud check expiry dates on meds.
October 5th, 2005, 03:00 PM
In reality, you should not have surplus of a medication designed to rid the body of an infection. As people are told, by thier physicians, to finished all prescribed medications, the same holds true for our animal companions.
If you prematurely stop the medication, the infection may recur, as you're seeing time and time again. Speak to your vet, and bring your (possibly) expired medication with you. Perhaps your vet will be kind enough to exchange for new medications, although they are not expected to do so.
When the vet prescribes medication for the cat, please finish ALL prescribed medication. It's in the cat's best interests.
Please keep us posted on how your cat is doing.
October 5th, 2005, 08:06 PM
I do not think it is safe to do this for a number of reasons.
Trinite's observation is correct in terms of antibiotics. But both the meds you say you have are not antibiotics - I can only guess the vet prescribed them for pain relief or some other associated symptom. Both are are anti-inflammatories tho prednisone is a glucocorticoid indicated for several varied problems. It is a potent medication and it is not indicated for infections. Please do not administer these to your cat without talking to your vet. It has many serious adverse side effects - especially when given for a chronic or long term problem.
These medications would help the pain BUT the kitty needs to be seen by the vet to determine the best course of action for meds that might prevent cystitis. The meds you mentioned help the pain but do not fight infection. Given that this is a reoccurance, your vet might want to try some new medication and s/he really needs to know that the infection has returned. Cystitis is a bacterial infection so only an antibiotic that will fight bacteria can help!!!
Also, your vet needs to know what other meds your kitty is taking so there are no drug interactions but I am assuming this is your regular vet?
It is never wise to assume that a medication that worked previously is safe to administer now. They MAY help the inflammation but your vet may have also given you meds to help with some of the side effects and you do not indicate that here. Please talk to your vet first and if necessary, have your kitty examined by the vet.