Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Apparently Bubba has a food allergy.

RaYne
October 5th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Bubba, my 8 month old Saint pup has been chewing and licking like crazy for the past 2 months. Last week I found a hot spot and I took him to the vet to get some cream. My vet is pretty sure Bubba has a food allergy. And he recommended one of the vet allergy formulas, but I refuse to buy those since the ingredients are garbage.

I thought it may have just been a flea allergy since the vet didn't do any testing and he did have fleas at the time (he was inbetween Advantage treatments). But we've taken care of those little buggers and Bubba is still chewing. Around the same time I noticed a change in the color and consistancy of his poop.

Right now Bubba is eating Canidae. He did great on it up until the last 2-3 bags. That's when the odd color loose poop started to appear and the itching soon after.. then the hot spot.

I stopped giving Bubba treats about 3 months ago other than ice cubes. So he has been eating just his kibble nothing else.

I'm tempted to try the Solid Gold Mmillenia beef and barley kibble. We tried the Wolfcub previously and the bison was just too rich for his tummy.

Or I'm open to suggestions for a good quality allergy kibble.. I have a feeling that it's a grain allergy. But which one.. :confused:

SchnauzerGirl
October 5th, 2005, 05:02 PM
I'm new to food allergies in dogsl, but I've read (from this forum) that Wellness is a great brand to use. I also am sure that my dog has a food allergy and just purchased Innova Evo which is totally grain free. I'm going to start phasing out his old dog food and start with this stuff. I was told that if you dont' see results in four weeks, then you should start to switch to something else (like a potato and fish dog food base) to rule out chicken allergies...

mastifflover
October 5th, 2005, 05:20 PM
I am not sure but you could try Fromm they have quite a few natural foods that might work for you. I would give food about 6 weeks from the change over unless your dog is having a bad reaction. Innova is a good food as well as Canidae it is really a matter of what works for your dog. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

http://www.frommfamily.com/products_fourstardry_salmon.asp

Prin
October 5th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Are you sure it's not seasonal allergies? I ask because if they started 3 months ago, that's when ragweed started.

RaYne
October 6th, 2005, 09:26 AM
I don't think so.. but I guess it's possible.

Let me try to clairify a bit better.. In July I stopped feeding Bubba treats because they were causing loose stool. That helped and everything firmed up. Then around mid August the itching started.. I assumed it was fleas. Got some Advantage and have been using it consistantly since. Around the end of August beginning of September I started noticing he was having loose stool again, sorry this may sound gross but it was orange (as if he had been eating pumpkin) and soft. I checked to see if Canidae had changed their ingredients.. apparently not. By the end of September Bubba's itching had increased to all 4 feet, his sides and rear end. I found scabs on his feet and around his tail.. a few days later the hot spot started just above the base of his tail. Which is gone now but he still has a bald butt. lol All the scabs are now gone.. but he still scratching and licking/chewing pretty much everywhere but his face.

I've spoke with a few other people.. and they are recommending Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Potato & Duck formula. I'm still iffy on it.. What do you all think?

Natural Balance Potato & Duck (http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/allergy/PandD.html)

BMDLuver
October 6th, 2005, 09:38 AM
I would choose fish n sweet potatoe over the duck, the reason being that Ducks are grain fed and fish aren't so you see better results on fish normally.

SpanielLuver
October 6th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Try Ekanuba KO (Kangaroo & Oatmeal) you have to get it from the vets. My cocker has the same symptom as you describe and this food fixes her in a day. The difference is unbelievable. However you must not feed anything else but this. I give apples as a treat instead of any type of cookies, etc. as they set her right back to scratching and panting.

I tried her back on the Lamb and Rice but after an hour she is scratching and panting again like crazy.

Good luck.

BeagleMum
October 6th, 2005, 12:50 PM
I currently have Spencer on the Eukanuba KO as well but I didn't find that it made a drastic difference. He has also been fighting with itchy cuts and ear infections so I have no idea what is really making him itch.

RaYne
October 6th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Someone else mentioned trying the DVP Fish and Sweet potato. But it's made with salmon. When Bubba was on the Solid Gold Wolfcub he has serious gas and loose stools. I'm not sure if it was the salmon or the bison that caused that..

It might be safer to go with the duck & potato since he's never had either.. I don't know.. I'm not sure which to get now. LOL

I'm not a big fan of Eukanuba.. that stuff did some serious upset on Bubba's tummy. Although it wasn't the kangaroo & oatmeal formula. I'll have to see if I can look it up.

Prin
October 6th, 2005, 09:04 PM
I think the duck and potato would be a food to try. There's nothing in it he would have had before:
Potatoes, Duck, Duck Meal, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Potato Fiber, DL-methionine, L-Lysine, Sodium Chloride, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Rosemary Extract, Natural Flavor, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Vitamin K Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

Looks good to me. The only thing is having a starch as first ingredient, but it's still better than trying something you've already tried... JMO

No matter how much better Euk food can ever get, they still do horrible tests on the animals they pretend to help. No thanks.

RaYne
October 7th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Yeah the starch as a first ingredient kinda put me off. But both the duck & fish formulas have potatos as the first ingredient.

I think I'm going to try the duck & potato first.. It's grain free so I'm hoping this will do it. I really hate switching his food.. and this will be the 5th time. Crossing my fingers it's the last time.