Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Aspirin for Arthritis

lwishart
August 31st, 2003, 01:23 AM
I have a 13 yr old sheltie with arthritis. Someone suggested I give him aspirin to help with the pain. I am not near a Vet and would like some input as to whether this is a good idea and if so how much do I give him?

clarence
September 1st, 2003, 05:09 PM
Found this for you,

Clarence.

Aspirin (dogs only)
Aspirin (A.S.A or acetycylic acid) is perfectly ok for dogs, but not for cats. To avoid stomach irritation, use buffered aspirin, or give aspirin at mealtime. For chronic arthritis pain, we now have much better drugs, but aspirin is perfectly ok for occasional aches and pains.

Use 5 grain (325 mg) aspirin tablets.

A 60 to 80 lb dog may be given one tablet twice a day (every 12 hours) or 1/2 tablet three times a day (every eight hours). A 30 to 40 lb dog gets half as much; a 15 to 20 lb dog a quarter as much.

Carina
September 1st, 2003, 09:18 PM
My very old dog (she passed away last month at age 15) was on 1-2 aspirins daily for arthritis. The last few months she was also on prednisone - that also made a big difference.

I just gave her aspirin with her meals. We also tried Rimadyl and Etogesic (both are fairly pricey and have potentially serious side effects, but as old as Phoebe was, I figured whatever worked was what I would do.) Anyhow as far as we could tell, the aspirin was every bit as effective. Oh - Phoebe weighed about 80lbs, everything I've ever been told was just to give the same dose as for a human adjusted to the dog's weight - that's pretty much what the other poster said too.

Acupuncture can really help manage pain too, you could look into that.