Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crossing border with dog

kayla
October 4th, 2005, 11:11 PM
I'm driving down to the states for thanksgiving weekend and wanted to bring Kayla with me and was wondering what to expect at the border? Is there a fee to bring a dog across? Do I have to show vaccination records or anything? If anyone has done this and knows what goes one please let me know. Thanks!

Puppyluv
October 4th, 2005, 11:26 PM
I just crossed with Layla a little while back. All they wanted to see was her rabies vaccination records. It is however reccomended that you bring a copy of all up to date vaccinations and a 30-day clean bill of health to prevent any problems.

kayla
October 4th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Is her rabies tag good enough or do I need the papers? Can I get the papers from my vet? I don't know if I kept them! :eek:

CyberKitten
October 4th, 2005, 11:46 PM
I would bring the papers!! Any time I have crossed the border with a dog or a cat, I was asked for vet records and a certificate of rabies vaccination. Airlines require vet records no older than 10 days but I would contact Customs (They have a toll free number, it should be in your phone book or online) and ask for the info. Also ask the US Immigration service what is required - I do not know if they have a toll free number but they do have a web site.

mesaana
October 4th, 2005, 11:47 PM
The tag is not sufficient. You need the vaccination certificate that specifies the Rabies vaccine, when it was given and how long it is good for. Your vet can get you a copy of the certificate.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbox/publications/travel/pets.ctt/pets.pdf

Lyne

mafiaprincess
October 4th, 2005, 11:49 PM
I've found when I've crossed they haven't cared at all about Cider.
Even though I've had her shot/ spay paperwork. But with the canine influenza, they may be extra special and hasseling at the border.

Puppyluv
October 4th, 2005, 11:52 PM
It would best to have everything you can have, because if the border guards aren't satisfied, yout dog enters quarantine for 2-4 weeks.
The rabies are by far the most important thing, and a tag will not suffice. As has been said, it has to be a full record.
Where are you crossing? I crossed through New Hampshire and through New York, and at both places I needed only the rabies, but was told when I called in advance, that I would need the 30-day health bill.

kayla
October 5th, 2005, 11:44 AM
It would best to have everything you can have, because if the border guards aren't satisfied, yout dog enters quarantine for 2-4 weeks.
The rabies are by far the most important thing, and a tag will not suffice. As has been said, it has to be a full record.
Where are you crossing? I crossed through New Hampshire and through New York, and at both places I needed only the rabies, but was told when I called in advance, that I would need the 30-day health bill.

Not sure which border, the one south of Montreal! I should find out and give them a call though, I wouldn't want my baby in quarantine for a month! :eek:

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Lucky Rescue
October 5th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Also, the vaccination certificate should have a clear description of your dog on it.

coppperbelle
October 5th, 2005, 10:40 PM
I cross the border from Quebec into New York state every weekend with my dogs. There are never the same border guards. Only about twice in the last year have I been asked if my dogs were vaccinted. I think I have only been asked once to actually show proof.
I would make sure that you have a written copy of her vaccination papers in case you are asked. Your vet can give you another copy if you can't find yours.