Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Recommendations of Obedience Training Montreal area

Rockblind
October 4th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Just wondering if anyone on this site has any recommendations for Obedience training in the Montreal area, and or has had some experience?

Thanks, RB

StaceyB
October 4th, 2005, 09:17 PM
I may be wrong but I thought you found a trainer.

Rockblind
October 5th, 2005, 08:22 PM
I may be wrong but I thought you found a trainer.

Yes I did find a trainer and have already signed up, I was wondering if someone out there has a recommendation and if that recommendation would be the trainer I went with. I don't want to be the one who mentions the trainers name and then folks give it a bad rap for whatever reason.

Wesley

StaceyB
October 5th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Maybe you should ask what trainers they don't recommend.

Rockblind
October 5th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Maybe you should ask what trainers they don't recommend.

Good point StaceyB, never thought of it that way.

StaceyB
October 5th, 2005, 08:53 PM
I have had several students travel from Montreal but I can't help you as to what trainers there are there, good or bad. The only thing I can say is I wold choose a training facility that uses positive methods over aversive.

Prin
October 5th, 2005, 11:21 PM
I can't say specifically which one because that's slander...There is one very serious looking one that is quite expensive and also teaches trainers. It's in north-central Montreal. Jemma went to it before we got her, and we thought it was ok, and the previous owner swore by them... Now, I can't train her to do anything. She gets so submissive that she just won't do anything at all. The second she knows you're in training mode, she keels over and pees. But you'd think it was a great school because she came out like robo-dog. Tug her collar and she will do anything you ask. It's actually really sad. I found out that I've trained her on my own, sort of parallel training, with different commands. They're still as reliable, it's just that she comes with her head up instead of down...

StaceyB
October 5th, 2005, 11:25 PM
Do you know what method they were using.

Prin
October 6th, 2005, 12:42 AM
I know they used a prong on her at first and then moved down to a choker. They left a little lead on her (about 6 inches long) ALL THE TIME and corrected her with that. (If I put it on her now, she becomes robo dog). I haven't figured out exactly what is making her so submissive- it's really like a switch either when she figures out you're training her, or when you say "no", no matter what tone it's in, or even if I say it to somebody else while we're working on something. Definitely not positive praise or treats (she was allergic to everything back then, so no treats).