Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When it rains it pours: Paw #3

Puppyluv
October 4th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Well, Layla stepped on a wasp in the grass today, and suprise suprise, it bit her between her toes. I put some baking soda paste on it, and that seemed to soothe it. It isn't swolen, so I'm hesitant to give her benadryl (I don't like to blindly medicate). But she's really unwilling to walk on it (I had to carry her half-way home along Berri and Maisonneuve, which made quite the scene).
Any suggestions?

Prin
October 4th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Never let this doggy outside ever again? No? Well, how about booties then? Poor doggy. Can't catch a break. :(

Ellen62
October 4th, 2005, 06:26 PM
:sorry: I feel so bad for your baby! I know I'm looking forward to the stinging insects being gone.
Sure hope Layla is feeling better soon! Prin's idea of boots might be a good idea, our Moses might just be wearing a helmet and face mask if he keeps getting stung.... :)

Dog Dancer
October 4th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Poor Layla, I know how bad it can be. Shadow is soooo allergic to stings - she swells up like a football. So what did we do this year just to tempt fate??? We built and stocked a bee hive in our garden :eek: Fortunately honey bee's aren't terribly agressive and we haven't had a problem with them coming upstairs onto the deck (my biggest fear since that is where the dogs spend the day). We do get wasps up on the deck though and the dogs love to chase and eat them. Halo got stung on the lip about two weeks ago and looked very funny with a puffy bottom jowl. It didn't bother her though. Next year BF wants to do a second bee hive (we got a good honey crop this year). When I should be taking Halo to obedience this fall instead I'm taking beekeeping classes...

coppperbelle
October 4th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Try applying ice. It will ease the pain. When kids at school get stung this is what we do and it helps them.

CyberKitten
October 4th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Poor Layla!!!

Use a cold pack or compress. (or ice as was rec'd) This will soothe the pain and help to reduce the swelling and inflammation. Rinse a clean washcloth in cold water and hold it against the swollen area, then place a cold pack or plastic bag of ice on top of the wet cloth. Apply the cold to the swelling for 10 to 30 minutes several times a day. A bag of frozen peas or corn works well as a cold pack and molds to the body contours.

You've already dione the baking soda thing. This should help neutralize the sting. If it is swollen and still seems sore - may be why she won't walk on it - call your vet and see if s/he can tell you the exact dose for benadryl if it's needed. It's never wise to just indiscriminately medicate as you already alluded to.

I hope the ice helps her. Give her a hug for me. She's had a rough go of it, poor girl!

Puppyluv
October 4th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Thanks for all the advice and support :) I iced her paw, which didn't work as well as it could have, since she insisted on eating all the ice cubes before I could decently ice her paw :rolleyes: (at least she was enjoying herself)
I then tried a compress, and while she didn't like the fact that she couldn't chomp on it, it really helped on the swelling, and she's been walking on it for the past hour or so, still a bit of a limp, but much better than before.
It looks like each paw injury is a little milder than the previous, hopefully we'll never get to the fourth one :fingerscr