Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can we get numbers on Pit bulls in Ontario

Luvmypit
October 4th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Since we all had to register our pit bulls can we not get through the freedom of information act the actual numbers on Pits? How many per city and how many per province?

Since all of us are registered we can see some real numbers and maybe dispell some stats that were against us.

Anyone?

bluntman
October 4th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Even though they are supossed to be registered here in Ontario, it would still be very difficult to get good numbers because there is no provincial database, every municipality will have ther own numbers, but they are not shared, so there is no one place to get that info. And a lot of people won't register there dog as pits, and a lot of rural people don't register there dogs at all. But if you take the biggest city in Ontario, and use the stats from that city, you could dispell all the stats your talking about, because they where fabricated by Bryant from U.S sorces. He had to make them up because Canadian stats show his favorite breed to be the biggest bitter in most cities

Akeeter
October 6th, 2005, 12:50 AM
He has a Fav, breed of DOG! :eek: Don't tell me...Tamigotchi? Dog-matic? One of those wind-up ones that does back flips & says, "Yip". LOL!

I guess you mean German Shepherd as the leader in bite stats?

If you are going to tell me that the AG's houshold actually includes a dog, I will be So surprised! If it isn't a picture of Deputy Dawg :D I will be extra surprised.

('Always took him for a goldfish man.)

bluntman
October 6th, 2005, 02:59 PM
I guess you mean German Shepherd as the leader in bite stats?
If you are going to tell me that the AG's houshold actually includes a dog, I will be So surprised

Yup, thats what I heard, He has, or had two GS's they are his breed, Great dogs with the right owners, but he is such an a$$, I worry what his dogs would be like. But I'm sure his houshold will be doggy free by Oct 28th so he does not get caught up in that DOLA mess he created, he would not want any neighbors complaining about his dogs.

LoNScamp
October 6th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Every piece of data I have seen indicates that GSD's bite more often than other dogs, they are my favorite breed I have one now Lola. I do not believe this to be true. It may be reported bites. I am postive that the small breeds i.e. Yorkies, poodles, pomes etc. bite a lot more frequently, but they aren't reported because they usually inflict less damage. If you think about it and I'm not saying that this applies to everyone, but how many people do you know have a small dog that is allowed to be a dog meaning spends most of it's life on the floor, isn't constantly coddled, isn't trained because it is so small it can be picked up and carried if it acts badly etc.

I haven't looked for Canadian data, but American Stats indicate the greatest number of fatalities are from Labs, interesting isn't it.

babyrocky1
October 6th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Around the time of the provincial hearings, Toronto was doing there own study of the"issue" and found that "serious" reported bites by German Shepherds far outnumbered those of "pit bulls" I cant remember what the other breeds were on the list but Im pretty sure Cocker Spaniels and Labs were up there as well. These stats were put together by the Toronto Board of Health. I don't beleive this indicates a problem with GS dogs since ther are relatively few incidents of "serious dog bites" at least I assume that since both the Ontario and Canadian Safety counsils are against BSL. but it certainly takes even the pretense of real conern for public safety away from the Evil MB and exposes him for what he is an exploitive media "hound" no offence of course to "hounds"! The Toronto Board of Health does have those stats but Im not sure how to access them. I don't like to think of Bryant as having a pet but I have heard the GSD story too, hopefully its just that, he doesn't deserve to have a pet. I do remember one of the fibs speaking in the house For the bill talking about how he had a gs and then it bit his kids and went on to mention owning two more breeds that also bit his kids...I have know Idea how that was supposed to speak to the issue of banning pit bulls but it sure indicates a problem with that partaicular Fib owning dogs!

babyrocky1
October 6th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Since we all had to register our pit bulls can we not get through the freedom of information act the actual numbers on Pits? How many per city and how many per province?

Since all of us are registered we can see some real numbers and maybe dispell some stats that were against us.

Anyone?We can probably get them from city to city but it would likely show that there are more pitties than other dogs cause now a higher percentage of pitties would be registered than any other breed since most people don't register there dogs. So that would work in our favour I think since Bryant was tryig to say that they were one percent of the dog population and doing 80% of the damage. Yet another Bryant lie!

pitbulliest
October 7th, 2005, 07:50 PM
:yuck: The ones that will be in charge of all of this are animal control officers..and from working at the THS and having to deal with AC..I'll tell you now that they are absolutely worthless..not only will you not get any information from them, but they don't even bother to go to calls..even emergencies..just tonight I had a young guy call me saying that there is a muzzled pitbull tied to a short chain in the middle of a school yard, at night...with no one about...the dog is howling...

I would think this is important enough for someone to go pick the dog up..its completely defenseless, its chained, PLUS its muzzled and doesn't have food or water..no way to protect itself against attackers..or anything!!!!!!!!

GUESS WHAT? SUPRISE SURPRISE..animal control is refusing to pick it up and saying to the guy that he should leave it overnight...cuz they just don't wanna do it..you know what? THEY ARE ALWAYS LIKE THIS...WE PAY FOR THEM WITH OUR TAX MONEY PEOPLE...START COMPLAINING AND START COMPLAINING NOW!

ok I'm done..*sigh*

babyrocky1
October 7th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Yes, I have to agree about animal control. On the one hand, when I brought Rocky over for his registration they were wonderful to me and my boy. They articulated very strong opposition to the ban. My other experience with them though, is when we found a lost dog, called them, and they said either keep it til the am or "let it go" Well luckily my neighbour kept the dog "forever" and it had a very happy ending but if no one could take the dog in, well "let it go!" Ofcourse it wasn't a pit bull but if it had been they probably would have said call the police! So what happened to the dog, did someone go and get him or her? THS? BTW they usually say leave it til the am if its near closing time and i think thats pretty much like banking hours. I have heard that there are four AC officers for our downtown neighbourhood!