Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Loose dogs. How do I handle it?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 4th, 2005, 01:21 PM
When I was taking Joey for his walk we were walking down the back road when about a block ahead I saw two big dog loose with no owner in sight.

I hope I didnt over react but I actually get a bit nervous when I see dogs loose with no owner. I actually had a bad vibe so I turned around and ended up walking about a mile back the other way and taking the main road home.

I am not sure where the dogs came from, I am sure maybe they were friendly, who knows. There is lots of businesses and shops that have guard dogs so I thought maybe they could have gotten loose.

Anyways I hope I didnt over react. Whats the best thing to do when you run into two loose dogs.

Anyways I did report them to the dog control. Hope that was the right thing to do. I am sure someone wants them back.

Dog Dancer
October 4th, 2005, 01:25 PM
I think you did the right thing. I would have gone the other way too because you never know. I find when there's more than one you're looking at a pack mentality and they could be more aggressive. Better safe than sorry. Calling animal control was good too. Ours don't tend to come out unless the animals are contained, because by the time they arrive the dogs are gone. I hate seeing dogs running alone, I always worry about them getting into traffic.

StaceyB
October 4th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Here and in most places I think there is a by-law that states that all dogs must be leash unless in a place that is off leash like private property or an official off leash park. It is a good question whether or not to report them. Is this your neighbourhood. If it is I would probably try to find out who they belong to and give them some story like you stopped someone from calling by-law on them. This way they may get the message w/o getting mad at you.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 4th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Its actually not my neighbourhood. I might drive back that way on my way out in a few minutes to see if they are still loose. Hopefully they are contained by now.

There is a bylaw that dogs must be leashed here too.

BeagleMum
October 4th, 2005, 01:48 PM
I would have done the exact same thing. You just never know and I wouldn't want to take any chances in letting my dogs get hurt.

shelly75
October 4th, 2005, 02:34 PM
I do the same thing I have run into many dogs off leash and have a small shih-tzu I dont want to find out if the dog is friendly or not.

mafiaprincess
October 4th, 2005, 04:26 PM
2 GSDs and a husky we're let out of a van while my Mom was walking Cider yesterday. While they were technically on private property they sure weren't when they attacked Cider..

I think you did the right thing by walkign the other way in case the confrontation got nasty.

It bugs me how it seems that only a handful of local owners actually keep theri dogs leashed here.

chico2
October 4th, 2005, 04:27 PM
I walk my neighbors little Cocker Spaniel,Bailey,every day and I am really afraid of loose dogs,I would not know what to do,other than picking up Bailey if a loose dog approached us.
If I see one from afar,I will turn around and walk the other way.
It's probably mostly because I've not had a dog for many years,I just don't want Bailey to get hurt,she is such a sweetie.

Sneaky
October 4th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Youre very lucky that animal control will do anything about it.
I used to live in an area that also had leash laws, but loose dogs?
The only way they would come get it was if you caught it, tied it up at your home and then called them.
Same in the area I live now.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 4th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Actually I have seen the animal control out on numerous occasions catching loose dogs. They use a big pole with a loop on the end of it. Hopefully those dogs are safe with their owner now.

Prin
October 4th, 2005, 07:18 PM
To be honest, for me it would depend on the condition of the dog, the breed of dog (if it is one I know), and the body language. If it looks aggressive for a split second, I don't stay. I've never had a strange dog approach without an owner in the distance though...

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 4th, 2005, 07:40 PM
There were two dogs up ahead. At first I just saw one and was just going to keep going. Then there were two of them I just didnt want to take any chances. As there wouldn't be much I could do if they went after Joey. Except scream at them. If they had followed me to the main street were I went back at least there is more of a chance someone would see us and do something if need me. They must have been far enough away though as they never came back the other way.

dmc123
October 4th, 2005, 08:57 PM
That is so scary. I live just outside the city limit, no real dog rules, much less laws. My two go out in a good size fenced lot, but they go nuts when they see strays go by.....much less if the strays dare to come into the unfenced part of the yard.

The last two days, 3 have strolled by, seems like they are going somewhere, but still, it makes mine crazy, both times it happened just as they went out in the am. to potty, and mine get mean to each other. I don't know what they would do if they ever met a stray dog face to face, but they act like they would be tough....somehow, knowing them, they would sniff them and then run along with them. They don't know they aren't really tough. :)

I wish I had an answer for you and for me.....

Diane