Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2 Year old Fixed Male Cat Just started to Spray

Sher
August 30th, 2003, 11:54 PM
Hello

I am very worried that my male cat has to be put down. The problem is that he just started to spray, at least I think it is spraying and not just urinating on the floor and backing up to the couch. Is there a difference in the smell? And why would he all of a sudden start doing this?? It is driving me nuts! I love him dearly but I can't have him doing this. He is declawed and we don't let him outside but he snuck out and got into a big fight and had to be put on antibiotics for the scratches and bites. The other cats are still around the neighbourhood. Is he maybe marking his territory? Will he stop? Should I take him to see his vet?

Thank you for your time, I really appritaite it!

Sherry :confused:

Lucky Rescue
August 31st, 2003, 09:32 AM
I would say, without hesitation, that your cat is definitely spraying because of the fight and the other cats outside, who are most likely intact.

Your cat is feeling very threatened, scared and insecure, because he is neutered AND declawed and knows that he has no defense. Declawed cats often have these kind of problems.

His spraying is his way of reaffirming his territory and trying to comfort himself.
This is not his fault and I hope you don't have him euthanized without trying every avenue.

I would take him to the vet and see if medication may be appropriate to ease his anxiety.

If he sprays on the same sofa all the time, try covering the area he sprays on with plastic. Cats really hate having the urine splash back on them. Do NOT punish or scold him for this, as that will make his anxiety worse!

He should get over this, but you must be very diligent in making sure your cat does not get outside again. You might also try some kind of repellant found in pet stores or vet office to keep the other cats away from your house.

You can also get a product called Nature's Miracle, which will eliminate the odour on your furniture so your cat will not be attracted to spray again.

Jocelyn
August 31st, 2003, 12:16 PM
WOW!
You are actually willing to kill an animal (a young one at that) because he is spraying on your furniture! That is just unbelievable! What kind of heartless person are you?

I agree this is a behavioral problem that needs to be corrected a.s.a.p. You have to make sure the spot where he is going is totally cleaned up or else he is going to continue to go there no matter how many times you get mad at him.
Of course this fight was very traumatizing for him since he couldn't defend himself, spend more time with him for comfort and try to keep him away from the windows (close drapes/blinds) for a little while until it blows over.

If you love him like you "say" you do, try to fix the problem with LuckyRescue's suggestions below! Feliway is also another product to spray the marked areas to prevent him from going in the same place. Please read this acticle about this behavior and how to fix the problem:
http://www.catsinternational.org/articles/housesoiling/spraying_probs_solved.html

I can guarantee you these suggestions will work! I have even taught feral cats (who have become well behaved indoor cats now) not to spray in which most people would say it is impossible to teach! If these do not work for you, please give him up for adoption.
Euthanasia is unacceptable in this case, especially if you don't try.

(I am sorry for being so harsh but I can not stand for people killing their healthy defenseless animals over behavioral problems that in most of all cases can be corrected with a little patience.)