Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Best way to get rid of urine smell in crate?

buffytwin
October 4th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Hi there, our puppy is still having accidents here and there in his crate but our problem is we can not get rid of the smell of urine at all! We've tried a few store bought things that were recommended by the pet stores, but we can still smell it? I hear vinegar is good to use but can anyone tell me exactly what I should do to the crate to get rid of the smell? Thank you!

StaceyB
October 4th, 2005, 11:20 AM
You need an enzyme solution. Simple solution, natures miracle are just a couple of your choices.

SnowDancer
October 4th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Agree with Stacey. Although I find I can tolerate smell of Nature's Miracle a little better than Simple Solution. Plan B is also a good cleaning with baking soda and vinegar mixed with dish detergent. Heck I did everything - and my dog doesn't even go in the crate - is afraid of it. Also let it dry in hot sun if possible. Never use bleach. My understanding is that the metal crates used by vet's do not absorb odor to the extent of those sold to general consumer.

BMDLuver
October 4th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Try KOE (Kennel Odour Eater), it's available at most vet's offices and works wonders.

TobsterMom
October 4th, 2005, 12:11 PM
^^ Yes KOE....fantastic stuff, we used it on EVERYTHING at the vet. Very effective after the smart little tom cats spray in the kennel, about 10 minutes before lunch :yuck:

I swear they know time.

buffytwin
October 4th, 2005, 12:38 PM
I will give them a try, hopefully the first one I try will work, haha! Thanks for all the suggestions, I appreciate it!

LoNScamp
October 4th, 2005, 03:09 PM
The best product I have ever used is Mr. Enzyme by Canadian Enzyme Cleaners. If the smell is really bad it may take 3 or 4 applications.

Sneaky
October 4th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Another great product is Folex. Its a stain and odor remover.
Its sold in most department stores, I buy it at Canadian Tire.
Great stuff. Our 30lb male tom cat decided for a while that he would like to pee on our bed, and nothing would get that smell out, not even Natures Miracle (expensive worthless product in my opinion), and one treatment of Folex, the smell was totally gone.

LoNScamp
October 5th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Another great product is Folex. Its a stain and odor remover.
Its sold in most department stores, I buy it at Canadian Tire.
Great stuff. Our 30lb male tom cat decided for a while that he would like to pee on our bed, and nothing would get that smell out, not even Natures Miracle (expensive worthless product in my opinion), and one treatment of Folex, the smell was totally gone.

If it can get cat pee out of a matress in one application it must be good. One question though, is it toxic to animals if used on floors, kennels etc. If not, it would be something I would try.