Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Siamese if you please

LM1313
October 4th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Do Siamese cats tend towards any particular health problems? I want to get a pair of kittens at some point and I just saw on Petfinder.org that the local humane society has two Siamese kittens (and also a Russian Blue.)

I wasn't looking specifically for purebred kitties, but I must admit I love the coloring on Siamese! But since they are shelter kitties, I doubt if there would be much (or any) information on their parents for health screening. They probably are from some nutty BYB. Is there anything I should look for or be wary of with Siamese? All I know about them is that they're talkers.

Here's the picture from Petfinder. According to the text, there are at least two Siamese (flame point and lilac point) but all I can see is the ear of one, LOL.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5179770

Part of me is saying, "No, wait until you have all your boxes unpacked, fool!" and the other part is saying, "You got a rebate today that is the same price as the adoption fee for two animals! IT'S A SIGN!!"

~LM~

Lissa
October 4th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Siamese cats are prone to being cross-eyed and having kinked tails - although it is slowly becoming less common. My last Siamese had a kinked tail and now my current Siamese has cross-eyes!

I think they are also prone to kidney problems (which happened to my last Siamese) but are generally thought of as a hardy breed - usually living to at least 15 years.

They are my favorite breed...they really are great cats, very dog-like. Some have the tendancy to have a bit of a mean attitude but if you rasie yours right, I'm sure they'll be fine!

The one's you're looking at look so cute - even the one's that don't have the markings still look Siamese (the ears and head!). My current Siamese is a blue point and looks like the one who is only showing his/her ear!!

Lucky Rescue
October 4th, 2005, 01:03 PM
OMG! Go and get them. They're too cute for words!

My only experience with Siamese was two I fostered for a few weeks. I found them to be sweet, very affectionate, and intelligent. Not to mention simply beautiful to look at!

I know of no health problems specific to this breed, and in fact have seen a great many very old Siamese.

Now stop reading this board and go get those babies!!:)

CyberKitten
October 4th, 2005, 01:14 PM
This is my lunch hr so this is a quick response. Siamese tend to be very healthy and even kinked tails are more of a prob with the standard and hardly a health issue!!! Good grief! As for cross eyes, that did seem to be more of a prob in the 50's tho it is seen from time to time but that also is hardly of consequence. I love Siamese that I would not care if one were cross eyed. So what if they are not show quality. My latest is show quality but not by design - I just love the breed!! They tend to robust and are WONDERFUL cats!!!! Go get them asap!!!!!!

TobsterMom
October 4th, 2005, 01:24 PM
I think those kittens would love to help you unpack those boxes :D

As for the cross eyed thing, I don't think the chances of them having crossed eyes is great. My friend has a new kitty (not siamese) and her eyes are crossed, she sees very well and I find it just adds to her character! She's a little muffin!

Go get em...post pics as soon as you get home! :thumbs up

LM1313
October 4th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks a bunch, guys! I was worried they might have problems like some popular dog breeds do (you know, hip problems and things) but you put my mind at ease . . . I don't mind crossed-eyes or kinked tails as long as it doesn't bother the cat. :D

Anyway, I called the shelter and they said they didn't have any Siamese kittens . . . but I've been checking Petfinder.org daily and I swear I've never seen that entry up before. Maybe they took the pic a few days ago and they've been adopted since then--I can see where they'd go fast! But I think I'll check when I get off work, just in case. :)

Edit: I was just checking through their list again and here's another Siamese kitten!

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5179779&adTarget=&SessionID=4342df100d7f0dce-app3&display=&preview=1&row=25&tmpl=&stat=

So I don't know if they've been adopted yet or not, but it doesn't hurt to look. :)

~LM~

Lissa
October 4th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Aww, they are cute too! I hope you find your siamese cat(s)!!

It would be so funny to get one that doesn't look like a Siamese...until it opens its mouth of course!! :D

CyberKitten
October 4th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Siamese kittens go quickly at many shelters. Even at Siamese Rescue, the kittens are scooped up way before the adults (sadly because adopting a young cat can be just as good!!). There are a variety of ways of determing if a cat is a meezer. The eyes should be blue and while some meezers are talkative, not all are. There are also the distinctive markings - of the seal points, blue points, lilac, chocolate, flame (not recognized by all cat groups tho) and so forth. Have you looked at Siamese Rescue - www.siameserescue.org There are meezers in Calif looking for homes. And if you are in Spokane, they would ship the right cat and owner. I know the Canadian meezer rescue group will not ship kittens though. They feel it is too traumatic. You would have to go there and bring the kitten nack. They will ship adult cats though. The Cdn group is rescuesiamese.com (I think - if that does not work, let me know) and there is a newer rescue in Ontario.

Here is a tiny meezer seeking a forever home in the Pacific area. (He is in northern Calif).: http://cn.siameserescue.org/Imagegallery/cn1105.jpg
And Jasmine (http://cn.siameserescue.org/Imagegallery/cn1078.jpg) is also looking for a good home!! Lexi (http://cn.siameserescue.org/Imagegallery/cn1076.jpg) is another blue point cutie!

chico2
October 4th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Oh Wow,they are ALL adorable,Siamese or not.That shelter though sounds pretty rough and euthanize quickly.
A friend of mine who has 3 choclate point Siamese,has one female who is 19yrs old,she's the one who is most vocal and bosses everyone around.
His youngest,Junior,is crosseyed,but it only looks cute.
I think you need to take all those babies out of there,2 or 4 does not make that much difference :D

LM1313
October 4th, 2005, 09:20 PM
I think the "we euthanize in one day so call in immediately" thing must be just to inspire people to call, because they had empty kennels available for dogs and cages for kitties. (More empty kennels than cages, though.)

The flame-point Siamese was still there . . . I adopted him and a sweet little tiger tabby sharing his cage. You can see them both in this Petfinger pic:

http://wwww.petfinder.com/fotos/WA113/WA113.5179779-1-x.jpg

The Siamese is the whitish kitty in the back and the tiger is the one playing up to the camera, LOL!

I get to pick them up from the vet tomorrow after they've been neutered, YAY! It only cost $70 to adopt both, and that includes neutering, rabies vaccination, licenses, microchips, and "5-way or Rhinopan vaccine" (whatever that is!)

I can't wait for my little guys to come home! :party:

Edit: At that shelter they also charge people to turn in their pets. A guy came in wanting to give them his dog because he was moving and they looked at him none too kindly and told him it would be $40.

~LM~

Lucky Rescue
October 4th, 2005, 09:36 PM
You got them!! Wonderful.:) Can't wait to see pics of the lucky little devils in their new home!!

They're so danged cute I could smooch them to death!!

CyberKitten
October 4th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Congratulations!!! They look adorable - I am thrilled an excited for you and happy these kittens found a good home!!! Am anxious to see more pix now, :)

The pound here too charges - not sure exactly what the price is tho, $30 plus I think. While I understand the policy in doing it, I wonder about the kitties who are left on the side of the road b/c their people would not pay the fee, sighhhhh!!

mafiaprincess
October 4th, 2005, 11:34 PM
That, or people get mad and leash the animal to the door after hours, or leave it in a box on their doorstep.

TobsterMom
October 4th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Yaaaay! We didn't talk you into it did we? :o

Have you thought of any names yet?

chico2
October 5th, 2005, 07:45 AM
That great news :thumbs up Lucky babies!
Not to put a damper on things,but I hope the little black/white one also finds a loving home,which I am sure he will :love:
70$ for both,that's cheap,our HS charges over $100 for a kitten,but you used to get money back after n/s.

LM1313
October 5th, 2005, 02:33 PM
A family came in right after me and was cooing at the remaining kittens, which was an encouraging sign! There's a medium-haired gray little girl in that cage, though I don't see her in the pic . . . There's also a cage next to it with about five black kittens and one dark tortishell kitten. The black kittens were snoozing the whole time, but the tortishell rubbed up against the bars begging for attention. It was so hard choosing with all those adorable little faces looking up at me!

There was also an adult marmalade who was just a lovebug. I'm going to try to convince my dad to go back and adopt him. My mom has a strict "one cat, one dog" rule, but maybe he can talk her out of it. Or this one gorgeous red dog . . . she was shy, but there was just something about her . . . Here she is:

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5169432

Oh, one neat thing is that each doggy's cage had a "dog flap" covered with a blanket that led out into individual outdoor dog runs! They also had little "cots" set a few inches above the floor where the dogs could rest. I was pretty impressed.

About the turn in fee, they also have places where you can anonymously drop off pets if they're closed (I know because it said on the kitties' sheets that they were left that way.) So I don't know how they stop people from doing that instead of paying the fee.

Yaaaay! We didn't talk you into it did we?

I had almost talked myself into it anyway, don't worry! Plus I've been planning to get kitties for a while now . . . staking out Petfinder.com every day. ;)

Have you thought of any names yet?

The tabby is definitely a Cruffle, but I'm not sure about the Siamese yet. I kind of think he looks like a Bean, but I want to spend more time with him before I commit to it.

~LM~

Lissa
October 5th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Don't forget to post LOTS of pictures!! I can't wait to see them!!!! :pawprint:

chico2
October 5th, 2005, 04:32 PM
I can imagine being faced by a bunch of kittens,it must be very difficult to choose just 2..
The red dog looks so frightened and alone,I hope someone adopts her soon. :pawprint: