Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog with a bad attitude

BeagleMum
October 4th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Spencer all of a sudden has a bad attitude and it is just getting worse. When we are out for a walk and we meet up with other dogs, he starts with what I call his Death Bark. He barks so hard that it almost sounds like he is choking and pulling like crazy to get to the other dog. The people walking the other dogs seem to be intimidated by him barking and there is no way for me to get him to stop.

I have tried the “leave it” command and the “No barking” command and neither of them work. I am not about to bring a water bottle with me on our walks to keep him from barking (that is the only way at home to get him to stop barking, I don’t need to squirt him usually, just show it to him and he calms down).

I am just getting scared that my neighbours are going to complain about my dog barking at 6:30 am.

I am thinking that it may be from the fact that he is losing his socialization since the two dogs can not have contact with other dogs until Sydney gets her second needle on Oct 28th. It also could be that he is trying to protect Sydney, I really don’t know.

Please help.

StaceyB
October 4th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Why not take spencer out by himself to the park so he can get some socializing done. The Arboretum is great for walking on leash and Lansdowne Park dog run is great for off leash. It is completely fenced and it is not overly big.

BeagleMum
October 4th, 2005, 10:08 AM
I was told that Spencer can not have contact with other dogs either because he can then carry diseases into our home and then Sydney could get them. Believe me, it is VERY difficult on all of us.

raingirl
October 4th, 2005, 10:51 AM
do you know anyone with dogs that you can trust? I mean, let them both socialize with dogs that you know have been vaccinated?

As far as I understand, it's only bad to go around unknown dogs, but as long as you know the dogs and trust them and the owners, it's ok for them to meet.

StaceyB
October 4th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Spencer wasn't that old when he started socializing was he.

BeagleMum
October 4th, 2005, 11:40 AM
I was told by the vet that it is not just making sure that the dog is vaccinated, it is that I don't know who that dog might have been in contact with. So, I know that my neighbour's dog is vaccinated but she might have been in contact with a dog that wasn't therefore could be carrying something that Sydney could catch.

That is what I am so confused about, where does the cycle end? And, can I come in contact with other dogs and carry a disease into the house or yard. What if I step in poop somewhere, am I risking Sydney's health?

Spencer started socializing after his first set of needles and we never had a problem but my vet has told me that in the last month, he has seen 3 dogs die of Parvo in the area.

I actually took the dogs to my Dad's place last night to play with his dog because I know that she hasn't been in contact with any other dogs.

Beaglemom
October 4th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Did something happen to make Spencer feel like he has to protect both you and Sydney from other dogs? Beagles tend to enjoy the company of other dogs so I was just wondering if maybe he had a bad experience at one point to make him react this way. I know that Misty will protect me or a member of her "pack" when she feels like they are being threatened in some way, otherwise she is generally very friendly towards other dogs.

I like Stacey's suggestion of taking him for a walk on his own and working on this behaviour. It is difficult to work on it when walking two dogs.

About Parvo, dogs can catch this disease just by walking by an area that a dog with the disease was at. It isn't only coming into contact with a dog infected directly that could pose a danger to Sydney, but walking in an area that is infected. Parvo is a great risk to puppies and young dogs under, but not so much to older dogs unless their immune system is compromised. Find out from your vet if these dogs infected from Parvo were young puppies from pet stores or older puppies that contracted the disease after living at their new home for a while. Many puppies purchased from pet stores contract this disease. Older dogs are more likely to survive a parvo infection than puppies.

Prin
October 4th, 2005, 12:15 PM
I don't understand why you're not allowed socializing at all. I understand not going to a dog park, but what about playing in your yard with another dog you know is healthy and vaccinated?

Lissa
October 4th, 2005, 12:29 PM
I don't understand why you're not allowed socializing at all. I understand not going to a dog park, but what about playing in your yard with another dog you know is healthy and vaccinated?

I think because she don't know if that dog has been in contact with a dog that was sick...

For instance, Dodger has just gotten over his bout with kennel cough. It can take up to 7-9 days before a dog starts showing the symptoms of kennel cough. So Dodger could have passed on the virus to Spencer and Sydney before he himself even got sick...

Prin
October 4th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Ya, but how can she be sure that Spencer hasn't walked through something?

What if the playmate is a house dog with a yard?

Beaglemom
October 4th, 2005, 12:57 PM
A dog doesn't have to come into contact with another dog to get sick. All that it has to do is walk by an area where a sick dog had pottied in and that dog could get infected. It can be as simple as that. This doesn't even have to happen in a dog park, but can happen anywhere along the walk route.

StaceyB
October 4th, 2005, 01:13 PM
I don't want you to put your little one at risk but you are losing precious socializing time. I would call around to the vets in your area to see to what degree are puppies catching things.
I would also do what was already suggested. Call your vet to see if you can find out where these pups contracted their illness.

BeagleMum
October 4th, 2005, 01:25 PM
I don't want you to put your little one at risk but you are losing precious socializing time. I would call around to the vets in your area to see to what degree are puppies catching things.

I agree. This is why I brought her to my Dad's house last night and honestly, at first, she was terrified of their dog. I don't want her to be like that. Spencer has always been great with other dogs and I think that because he hasn't been around them for almost a month now that he is getting the way that he is.

Beaglemom: I agree with what you are saying about just walking near a place that a sick dog has been and that was why I specifically asked the vet if I could walk Sydney. He said "Yes, walking is fine, just make sure that they don't contact other dogs". I was totally confused and still am as why he would say that. I will have to call and ask.

I think that I will try to start meeting up with people and their dogs. Sydney really needs it I think as does Spencer. I don't ever want to have one of those cranky dogs that you see.

Beaglemom
October 4th, 2005, 01:36 PM
How about a socialization class? You could take them to a few classes until Sydney is safe to meet other dogs during their walks. You'll have to find a reputable one that has strict guidelines, but they can be great tools in helping you socialize your puppy. Otherwise, ask people who you know and trust that have dogs to have some play dates in your backyard or theirs.

StaceyB
October 4th, 2005, 01:41 PM
If it were me I would be careful of the places I chose to go but I know the importance of socializing and what can happen if they don't do it early on. I think that the risk is actually quite low even though there is risk. I have heard it all from waiting until their first shots, to 2nd, to third, 6 months, 9 months. All vets will tell you there is a risk but some take it to the extreme. Weigh out the actual risks and which places are most risky. Personally I would cautiously take the risk. With all the dogs and puppies I have had through class and you know how many that is, very few have ever come down with anything. I have found that the worst place in the city for catching anything has been conroy pit.

Lissa
October 4th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Ya, but how can she be sure that Spencer hasn't walked through something?

What if the playmate is a house dog with a yard?

I agree, she can't! She herself could pass something like kennel cough onto her dogs. If she does walk Spencer alone she'll have to be really careful.

Dodger was around dogs long before he had any/all of his vaccinations because the vet told us it was okay, so long as the other dog had its vaccinations.

BeagleMum
October 4th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Well, I don't think that I would take them to a dog park anyway, even if Sydney was completely vaccinated. I have been there a few times with Spencer (to Bruce Pit) and have really had nothing but bad experiences. Either the people are rude and telling me how to do things with my dog or making comments that I shouldn't be there if I have my dog on leash. Also, the last time I was there, Spencer got bit for absolutely no reason. I would mush rather find a trail or path somewhere in the gatineau park and go there.

How bad do you think that it would be to take them to a pet store? Would that be considered one of the places that is crawling with germs?

Beaglemom
October 4th, 2005, 01:55 PM
How bad do you think that it would be to take them to a pet store? Would that be considered one of the places that is crawling with germs?
Be very careful which pet stores. If it is one that sells pets, stay clear! Many puppies and Kittens are sick or are carriers and just don't show the symptoms yet. These can be crawling with germs! If it is one that doesn't sell pets like Super Pet or PetSmart, then don't let Sydney walk on the floor but carry her. That is what I did when Misty was a puppy. She would go everywhere with me.

Lissa
October 4th, 2005, 01:57 PM
I know a lot of people take their young puppies to the petstores but its really not something I would do if you are worried about them catching something.

Pet stores pose just as much risk as dog parks IMO, because you know abosolutely nothing about the dog(s) or owners.

I think taking them to your Dad's is the best idea so far.

Beaglemom
October 4th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Lissa I agree 100%. The only thing that I'm thinking now is that part of socialization is meeting different people and encountering different environments/situations/noises. This is also very crucial otherwise you could end up with a dog that is timid and scared of certain situations, noises and/or people. It is very important that puppies are exposed to as many people and situations as possible early on not just other dogs. I used to take Misty with me everywhere that I went to expose her to as many people and situations that I possibly could.

StaceyB
October 4th, 2005, 02:05 PM
I like Bruce Pit in the winter and at times when it is not busy and I don't go to the center ring. I found that in the summer there were too many people with dogs that are not very social or resource guard toys. These people would do nothing to control their dogs behaviour and do not take their dogs out when it is cold. When I go I walk around the perimeter and I go in the morning or early afternoon. I won't go in the evenings or week ends. On those days or times I go to other places like the Arboretum or Hogs Back Park. Both have nice trails and are leashed areas even though the odd dog is off leash. Some people will try to tell you to just let them work it out. A dog will only get beat up so many times before they start doing it themselves. I would rather my dogs don't learn to fight.

StaceyB
October 4th, 2005, 02:11 PM
I like Bruce Pit in the winter and at times when it is not busy and I don't go to the center ring. I found that in the summer there were too many people with dogs that are not very social or resource guard toys. These people would do nothing to control their dogs behaviour and do not take their dogs out when it is cold. When I go I walk around the perimeter and I go in the morning or early afternoon. I won't go in the evenings or week ends. On those days or times I go to other places like the Arboretum or Hogs Back Park. Both have nice trails and are leashed areas even though the odd dog is off leash. Some people will try to tell you to just let them work it out. A dog will only get beat up so many times before they start doing it themselves. I would rather my dogs don't learn to fight.

Take them everywhere you can including places w/o dogs. Socializing is with everything.
*Socialing is not just with things they know but with things they don't. Getting them to accept the unknown, dogs, kids, adults, other animals, noises, smells etc. Get them used to everything they will see in their lifetime, even things that they won't see much with your lifestyle.

Lissa
October 4th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Beaglemom - I agree with you as well, I know socialization is key. She can carry Sydney but what about Spencer ( I guess he wouldn't be able to go). But also and I know I keep going on about but since this kennel cough and canine flu is going around, I just wouldn't risk it. My friend took her dog to be groomed at Petsmart while she was still on the antibitics for kennel cough and I would have called her a responsible dog owner!

I really hate bruce pit too. I've only been there a few times and have never had a good experience either.

Beaglemom
October 4th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Lissa, sorry, but what your friend did was irresponsible. She should have waited until it was certain that her dog was no longer a carrier. Like you stated before, a dog can be a carrier without showing symptoms but still infect other dogs. Unless she got the okay from her vet, her dog should not have gone to the groomers.

Lissa
October 4th, 2005, 02:31 PM
I know, had she told me before she had her at the store, I would have stopped her. But that's what I am trying to get across - I would have called her a responsible dow owner but if she does thoughtless things like this, what the heck are the less responsible people doing?

BeagleMum
October 4th, 2005, 02:34 PM
The less responsible owners are leaving their dogs loose outside and allowing them to run across the street to bite Spencer. Poor Spencer, he's just so innocent. (Sorry, I am still bitter about people leaving their dogs loose knowing that they can't be trusted.)

StaceyB
October 4th, 2005, 02:36 PM
There is a small risk everywhere. More of the irresponsible owners don't bother to drive them or take them anywhere.

Beaglemom
October 4th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Grover, do you think maybe Spencer has an issue with other dogs because he has been bitten? I know when Misty had her little incident with a Boxer when they were both puppies, she gained a fear of large dogs. It took some work, but now she prefers the company of large dogs over toy breeds. This could be the reason why he barks at other dogs when on your walks. He may be feeling threatened and frightened that he may be bitten again.

PetFriendly
October 5th, 2005, 09:19 AM
How about taking each (or both, I mean one can ride in a cart) pup to the Home Depot and/or Rona? There are lots of strange noises and smells there, and pets are welcome. Most people don't bring their dogs so there is less of a chance of catching something.

Something else you might want to try is driving to a different neighbourhood. I know my little guy is too small to walk to a new section of the neighbourhood and then walk back, so sometimes we drive into Kanata or Barhaven, park the car and walk there instead. It mixes it up for him, keeps him used to going new places, seeing new dogs and people. TIP: don't tell people you drive your dog somewhere to then walk them... You'll get laughed at! :D

Its just a thought.