Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog and bones

Okami
October 4th, 2005, 01:22 AM
My dog is a 10 year old rough collie. I noticed that whenever I give my dog a bone for a treat, she always ends up with diarrhea.

Is this normal? What's the cause of this? I really miss giving my dog something she can stay busy with when I'm not there :(.

Prin
October 4th, 2005, 01:27 AM
I think you have to try something else. Some dogs digest some bones well, while others don't. You just have to try different things till she digests well.

It's a very bad idea to give her chewy things while you are gone. She can bite off a huge piece and block her intestines, or worse, choke on it. It's better for her to have nothing.

Lucky Rescue
October 4th, 2005, 11:09 AM
IF she doesn't have a bone very often, then yes it can cause loose stools when she does. What kind of bones are you giving her?

How bad is the diarrhea? How long does it last and does she soil in the house?

If it's not bad at all, I would continue to give her the bones since the benefit and pleasure she gets from them outweighs the negative side.:)

Okami
October 9th, 2005, 02:05 AM
Sorry for the late reply, I kind of lost this thread. She soils in the house, and it occurs once after every bone she eats. So far I've only tried buying the bones from petland. First I tried buying from the bulk, then I tried buying the packaged ones, I even purchased one from the vet. Is it possible if I feed her more that she'll get used to it and wont have the accidents?

Prin
October 9th, 2005, 02:07 AM
I don't think so. If she has an intolerance to them, which she sound like she does (if she's having uncontrollable diarrhea), I would stop. Is it that necessary to keep feeding her these? You're not worried that she'll choke or get a bowel obstruction while you're not watching?

Okami
October 9th, 2005, 02:20 AM
:( I never had the thought that a dog would choke on a bone. But she wont be unsupervised now. Still I wish she had a different type of treat that would last. Dog food and milk bones seem a little dull for her.

Prin
October 9th, 2005, 02:24 AM
What kind of bones are they? Rawhide? You could get different kinds of bones too from a dog food store. Maybe a cow hoof instead, or a thigh bone? But don't get the smoked ones. A lot of doggies have a hard time with the smoked ones.

Okami
October 9th, 2005, 02:28 AM
I've never tried a hoof before :). I've bought alot of pig ears and I think smoked bones before.

:) I'll try a hoof, thanks for the suggestion. Any other good parts as well :)?

Lucky Rescue
October 9th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Are the bones you get from Petland smoked? If so, that could be the problem, since they are filled with nitrates and other chemicals.

A plain, raw shank bone or knucklebone is much better. Never feed cooked/smoked bones.

LoNScamp
October 10th, 2005, 01:15 AM
Pigs ears, hoofs and raw hide aren't the best things to give a dog. They all go through a chemical process. In addtion to raw bones, you could give her fruits and vegetables. Raw carrots are really good for cleaning teeth. Fruits and vegs dogs can't have are grapes and onions.

You can fill a Kong with a mixture of bisuits, dog food, fruits and veg. Mix it with a little peanut butter and stuff the Kong. You can also seal the small hole in the kong and fill it with broth or a mixture of plain yogurt and veg and fruit and freeze it.

kayla
October 10th, 2005, 10:31 AM
I was going to suggest a stuffed kong as well, this way you can find a food she isn't intolerant to and stuff it. There is also a kong stuffing you can buy but it looks pretty processed and unhealthy, I would stick to the ideas LoNScamp gave. I use peanut butter and it works quite well and isn't messy.

StaceyB
October 10th, 2005, 10:54 AM
I spread peanut butter around the inside of the kong and then press biscuits into the peanut butter. It makes them harder to get out. The kong has to be the appropriate size for the dog.