Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Biting cat - Need some help here...LR??????

mona_b
October 3rd, 2005, 10:41 PM
Ok,it's about my cat Casper.

Ok here is my dilema.

There are times when you can just be sitting watching t.v,or be on the comp,and out of the blue he attacks.I mean he will jump up at you and bite.If you walk from one room to another,he will come from out of the blue and attack the back of your calf,and chomp down.When you turn to look at him,he will have his head tilted a bit and ears back.Yes he has been through tests given by the vet.Even a scan.Everything is normal in his head... :D

A bit about Casper.He is 2 now and we adopted him at 8 weeks.And he is deaf.This at birth.He is white with blue eyes.And yes I did a ton of research on deaf cats when I realized 2 weeks after adopting him that he was.

He was aggressive as a kitten.As Lucky may remember.He calmed down quite a bit when we adopted a little sister when he was 6 months old.

Now my question is,how do we stop him from doing this.Or what should we do when he does?

Other then that,he is a very loving,gentle cat.Also,this doesn't happen everyday.

Any suggestions would be great. :)

Lucky Rescue
October 3rd, 2005, 11:13 PM
Oh young toms can be really bad for this, especially if they stay in the house all the time, or don't have a cat buddy to vigorously play with!

When he bites, does he draw blood, or is it a quick nip? Does he growl? What do you do when he bites you this way? How does he act after he lets go?

mona_b
October 4th, 2005, 06:06 AM
Oh young toms can be really bad for this, especially if they stay in the house all the time, or don't have a cat buddy to vigorously play with!

But the thing is,he does go out.Not often,but he does.And he definately has a harness and lead for this.There is no way I would let my deaf cat out without it. :) ..And you know he has a playmate..... ;) ..And thing is,I have never had this problem with any of the males I have had. :confused:

When he bites, does he draw blood, or is it a quick nip? Does he growl? What do you do when he bites you this way? How does he act after he lets go?

He doesn't draw blood,it's just a quick nip.But damn does it hurt.No growling.After he does this,he takes off.So I can't punish him for the after fact.Can I?Hubby chases him.I tell him not to,Casper will think it's a game.And I don't want that.

So,what am I doing wrong?

chico2
October 4th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Mona,I have no suggestions in Caspers case,but my Chico,often while laying on my lap purring contentedly,will all of a sudden bite...also not drawing blood,but it hurts.
I call them love-bites :eek: but right away I put him down on the floor,with a firm NO Chico!
Maybe in Caspers case,it has to do with him not hearing you passing by or approaching him and he's taken by surprise. :confused:
Grasping at straws here :pawprint:

Lucky Rescue
October 4th, 2005, 10:04 AM
You're not doing anything wrong!

This doesn't sound like true aggression. It sounds like one of those energy-releasing bites, as Chico is describing it.

The fact that Casper is deaf *may* be a factor as well, since he can't hear any cries of pain, which is the way kittens usually learn not to bite each other (or us!) too hard.

When he bites, or nips, try not to jerk your arm or leg away as this will stimulate him more. Try freezing and give him the "evil eye" until he backs down.

And you're right, chasing him will do no good.

The worst case I saw of this "naughty boy" thing was my foster TimTim. It took a bit of work to stop him from hurling himself at arms and legs on sight. The second I saw his ear flattening in preparation for an attack, I would snap my fingers or say "AH AH!!!" to distract him and break his concentration, then pet him VERY lightly, gently and briefly for not attacking.

But Casper is deaf, so I'll try and think of another way you can diffuse him, although he will probably outgrow this behavior.

Does he like catnip?

Prin
October 4th, 2005, 11:12 AM
I'm definitely not an expert, but couldn't he just be hunting you for fun? My friend's Maine Coon does that. He is HUGE and he sits perfectly still until you forget about him and then RAOAR!!

CyberKitten
October 4th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Agree with LR and Chico. You will need to train Casper out of this behaviour with some special considerations b/c of the hearing impairment. But it does not sound at all like true aggression.

happycats
October 4th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Hi Mona,

My oldest guy Lucky did this ALOT when he was younger (the first 6 years of his life :eek: ) He is a very dominate cat, he is the boss and thinks he runs the house.

I got him to stop by throwing throw pillows (the small ones) at him, as soon as I saw him get into position (ears back flat, big saucer eyes). This was enough to distract him. Being that Casper is deaf, this may work well for him!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

mona_b
October 4th, 2005, 10:16 PM
When he bites, or nips, try not to jerk your arm or leg away as this will stimulate him more. Try freezing and give him the "evil eye" until he backs down.

But see the thing is,there is nothing to jerk.He will come out of the blue and do this,then take off.If I am sitting in the chair at the comp,he will come from behind,do his nip/bite thing and take off.My arm isn't even moving when I type...It's all in the wrist.... :D

Oh and I have tried the evil eye,guess where it got me?Him jumping on the arm of the couch,then a nip on the arm,then the getaway.I now call this the nip and run.LOL....I know,it's not funny. :(

He does this when we are not even looking...... :(

The other day hubby was standing talking to me while I was sitting on the couch.He was standing there for about 10 mins,all of a sudden in comes Casper.Sits by hubby's feet(hubby was not moving his feet)then out of the blue,Casper bites his foot and takes off.

Oh trust me,he did have true aggression when he was younger.He was an :evil: kitten.He would get a hold of your arm and literally lock his jaws down on you while his teeth were sinking into you.And his ears were back.What I had to do was take my other hand and put it around his cheeks,then apply pressure so he would let go.The true aggression pretty much stopped when we got Winnie.This is actually why we got her.She defiantely put him in his place.... :D

Casper know he's not the boss of the house..... :D

Nope,never has liked catnip.Go figure.

Not sure Prin..But I can't see why he would be hunting us...He has his sister for that.......... :D

Here is a pic of my little devil boy......LOL

This one was taken a while ago.Winnie is not that small anymore....LOL

CyberKitten
October 4th, 2005, 10:51 PM
He looks like a LaPerm kitty - breed with curly fur. Is he?

Maybe he thinks he is being playful? Have you yelled at him or hissed, like his mama or Winnie would do, to tell him in no uncertain terms you are not pleased with this behaviour.

Good luck!!!

mona_b
October 4th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Nope,no curls at all..

We have been told he may have some Maine Coon in him.He is pretty big.In that pic he was about 9 months old.

Remember CK,he is deaf.So my yelling or hissing won't do much...... :)

Actually,neither cat has ever hissed.Casper is VERY vocal..And Winnie doesn't really meow.

chico2
October 5th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Aww Mona,that is such a sweet picture and Casper is a beauty..
It saddens me that you are having problems with him and I wish we could look into these little creatures brains and find out why they do the things they do :confused:
I wish we could tell him how lucky he is to live in your family and to be a good kitty...and what the alternative could have been.
When my Rocky attacked me twice,crazy as a rabid animal,to the point where I needed special care,there was a clear reason for his behaviour,it did not make sense,but at least I learned how to avoid any more attacks.
With Casper there seems to be no reason,at least not to us,maybe a behavioralist(Sp?),or maybe he would benefit from a calming medicin.
Rocky was put on Clomipramine,but since his was not an ongoing problem,I stopped giving it to him after a short period.
I am sure his problem has something to do with his deafness,what does the vet say,I am sure she/he has dealt with other deaf animals.

Lucky Rescue
October 5th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Since it's just a quick nip and then he runs, all I can suggest is to wait it out and not react in any way.

My Stinkerbell is a thin skinned cat, which it sounds like your Casper also is. She licks me until she has to bite me to release her energy build-up. It's also a near-painless nip, but if I don't stop her after the first one, the next one might be pretty hard!

He would get a hold of your arm and literally lock his jaws down on you while his teeth were sinking into you.And his ears were back

That is very typical of this type of thin skinned young cat.

"Locking Jaws"? Oh no! Muzzle that cat before he eats a kid!!:p

LM1313
October 5th, 2005, 10:45 AM
I think he's being playful. My parents' cat, Phantom, used to do something like this, only she would hit our ankles with her paws instead of biting. She'll also bite if you pet her "too much", but not hard.

Wow, it sounds like it's hard to catch him in the act since he does a hit and run! How often does he do this . . . once a day? Once a week? This may be silly, but would it be possible to spray your socks with Bitter Apple until he gets out of the habit? Maybe the "yuck" taste would convince him to stop.

~LM~

mona_b
October 5th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Thank you chico.... :)

Well the vet is a bit puzzled.He has dealt with deaf cats and dogs,but this from age.He knew that Casper was quite the aggressive one as a kitten.And I'm talking aggressive.Full blown biting and locking down on you.As for the madication,it's really not needed because this doesn't happen everyday.It will go in spurts.He'll be fine for a week,then the second week he becomes devil kitty for about 3 days.Then he's fine.So it's off again,on again.

"Locking Jaws"? Oh no! Muzzle that cat before he eats a kid!!

:eek: ....NOOOOOOOOOO not my daughter?????????

ROTFLMFAO...... :p :p

This may be silly, but would it be possible to spray your socks with Bitter Apple until he gets out of the habit? Maybe the "yuck" taste would convince him to stop.

Unfotunately not...This would mean we would have to spray our sleaves,arms,calves and so on.LOL

I will definately wait it out...What's a few more months.LOL