Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ears Bleeding

Camarolover62
October 3rd, 2005, 07:55 PM
Hello All!

I am new to the site. We took are almost 2 year old RR to the Vet her ear had been bleeding do to our 4 month old RR bitting on it. THe vet put her under & stitched it. We have been keeping liquid band aid on it. & keeping them taped to top of her head. She has scratched the heck out of her inside ears etc. We have been keeping her sedated per the vet. I would like any suggestions on a better way to heal & make her more comfortable during this healing time. She is still shaking her head I know her ears need to be cleaned but fear her shaking too much & really making them bleed. Any help you be geatly apreciated.

Thank You
Camarolover62

Prin
October 3rd, 2005, 08:03 PM
First, what is an RR?

Camarolover62
October 3rd, 2005, 08:06 PM
Hello

I am sorry My dogs a Rhodesian Ridgebacks! RR is much easier to say. I aplogize.

Camarlover62

Prin
October 3rd, 2005, 08:12 PM
Okaaay. I didn't want to start giving doggy advice when it was a cat... :o

How do the cuts look? Are they deep? Are they on the inside or the outside? Are they big?

For cleaning, how would you do it? My doggies find it much easier if I dampen a cloth or kleenex or soft paper towel with the ear juice and go in with my finger, as opposed to pouring the solution directly into the ear to flush it. It might minimize the shaking...

wjranch
October 3rd, 2005, 08:19 PM
put an elizabethan collar on your dog..... this will stop her from being able to scratch the ears until they are healed enough. ie: stitches are falling out on their own.

It will be pathetic, and your dog will NOT like it...however, it's in her best interest to keep those ears out of reach of the claws... It's a good sign that she's scratching at them... healing itches :)
Good Luck
I LOVE Rhodie's!!

Camarolover62
October 3rd, 2005, 08:24 PM
Prin

They are getting better it is just a fighting battle with her not liking her ears tied back. The puppy hit a vien. I will clean her ears when they are healed I can not have her shake her head at all. I do not pour the solution in either. The cuts are on the inside of her ear the skin is really thin I guess it is common in the hound family. Thanks for your interest.

Camarolover62

justncase
October 5th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Applying the contents of a vitamin E capsule ( with a Q-tip) to the cuts will stop the itch and help in the healing process.