Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Pen

puppy4ever
October 3rd, 2005, 05:45 PM
I bought a puppy pen but I'm not even sure why because I'm not sure when it should be used. :o I saw an ad for $40 for a pen and thought well I don't have one of those but I better get one! I have a kennel that my puppy sleeps in as well.

So when should I be using this pen? When I'm home or not home? How often is humane?

Picture:

TobsterMom
October 3rd, 2005, 05:55 PM
I actually used an old playpen for Toby when he was a puppy. I wouldn't leave him in it if you're not home. I used mine when I couldn't be right with him, like doing the dishes, answering the door, or even in the evening when I needed a break from chasing him.

It was great, he could play happily with lots of room and toys, and I could have a minute without having to chase him. He also got to see everything that was going on, and to keep a close eye on me.

Prin
October 3rd, 2005, 07:18 PM
LOL I agree with Tobster. When the doggy is roaming and you can't keep an eye on him all the time. (Just so you know, I went through the doggy gadget phase too- I have harnesses, doggy saddle bags all sorts of collars, you name it!)

mafiaprincess
October 4th, 2005, 01:51 AM
I loved mine for the first week.. Was awesome that she could have some room, a bed, toys.. More than when crated.

After a week she learned to climb out. We tarped it, tried to blockade her in, and she only got faster at escaping.

I had to return mine to petsmart since it wasn't working,..

But I did adore it when it worked..

puppy4ever
October 4th, 2005, 05:31 AM
Hmm don't have a doggy saddle bag...not yet anyway ;) LOL

I can't wait to start using it! Sounds like heaven...doing the dishes without chasing after the puppy! I'll have to watch him closely to see if it's possible for him to escape. Sometimes it takes him a while to catch on (I actually left out his food until just a few days ago since he never tried to eat it before!). I hope it's the same with this pen. :fingerscr

SnowDancer
October 4th, 2005, 10:36 AM
2 ways out - over the top - or lifting it up and crawling out bottom. Doesn't matter size of dog - all of mine have managed to do it. Bottom exit is safer - beats a somersault over the top.