Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Swollen Rear Pastern

Oklahoma1
October 3rd, 2005, 04:42 PM
Hello again. As I mentioned in 'Just Joined', things can happen, and something has happened to Roxie. One day, about a month ago, Roxie was running and playing in the yard with our daughter. They do this often, and have in this particular yard for over a year. (Roxie becomes extremely exhuberant and jets around the yard like crazy!) That night, we noticed Roxie would not put any weight on her left hind leg. Her pastern seemed to be a bit swollen. We thought she may have pulled a tendon, and that it would heal on it's own. Within a couple days, she was putting weight on it, with only a slight limp. After about four days, it seemed to be perfectly fine, and she was back to running and playing again.

Well, three days ago, it has seemed to flare up again. The uppermost portion of the pastern is swollen. She is putting some weight on it by just barely touching her toes to the ground. My questions are, should we wrap it with an Ace Bandage until it heals? Should we restrict her running and playing a little longer, after it does heal? Is this the type of injury that will heal on it's own? Considering that she is putting some weight on it, and also allows me to touch it, I don't think there is anything broken. I'm also wondering if dogs can be given Ibuprofen for the pain and inflammation that comes with what might be a pulled tendon, or muscle, in the pastern. It seems to be the soft tissue that is swollen, not really near any of the bone structure. When I squeeze near the bone structure, she doesn't show any signs of pain.

I hope someone has some ideas!
Thanks.

BMDLuver
October 3rd, 2005, 07:12 PM
First don't wrap a swollen leg.
Second don't wrap if tendon damage.
Third don't use Iboprofen on a pet.
Fourth see your vet.

Fifth Welcome to the board.

StaceyB
October 3rd, 2005, 07:17 PM
lol, That was to the point.
Yes see the vet. It may be something more serious that just a strain.