Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs used as shark bait

db7
October 3rd, 2005, 03:41 PM
By IAN HEPBURN

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005450117,00.html

STRAY dogs are being skewered on hooks and dragged behind boats as live shark bait, The Sun can shockingly reveal.

The cruel practice takes place on French-controlled Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean, where Prince William spent two holidays.

A six-month-old labrador pup was recently found ALIVE with a huge double hook through its snout - like the dog above - and another through a leg.

The pup was found in a coastal creek and is thought to have somehow freed itself from a fishing line.

But other dogs and kittens have been chomped up and swallowed by sharks.

The RSPCA plans to petition the French government, demanding an end to the hideous torture.

StaceyB
October 3rd, 2005, 04:15 PM
That is absolutely horrible. I can't believe people can be so cruel.

Dog Mom
October 3rd, 2005, 04:16 PM
OMG I started crying when I saw that!!! These people deserve to be used as LIVE shark bait!!! @$*%&$#^%(^

chico2
October 3rd, 2005, 04:18 PM
This thread needs a"Graphic pics warning",it almost made me ill :sad:

LavenderRott
October 4th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Umm. This also happens off the coast of Florida, but they use greyhounds that are no longer used for racing. And I hear it is much more graphic. I'll skip the details.

chico2
October 4th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Lavenderott,incredible cruelty to animals,not only dogs,goes on around the world,even here in Canada(seal-hunt etc..)
I wish there was a way we could hammer in to people heads to show compassion..
We try to do what we can on our homefront,but I am not helping these poor dogs by looking at horrific pictures,having nightmares...
As for France,Reunion is a french island,with a french appointed government and run the french way,but the inhabitants are native.
Maybe the french gov can stop this practise,but I doubt it...where is Brigitte Bardot when needed??
I do agree,that keeping silent about this kind of thing,is the same as agreeing to the practise,but voices against animal-abuse are seldom heard,when it effects economics.

LL1
October 4th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Ive never heard that,do you have more info?
Umm. This also happens off the coast of Florida, but they use greyhounds that are no longer used for racing. And I hear it is much more graphic. I'll skip the details.

Rick C
October 4th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Always check something bizarre like this with www.snopes.com, the urban legend site - the latest update from yesterday:

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/sharkbait.asp

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 4th, 2005, 11:01 AM
That is horrid, people are sick. I think the people that do this should be put on fish hook and dragged behind a boat in shark infested waters. :mad:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 4th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Rick C. I read that article. I really do hope this is not true. Its horrible what they do to sharks as well. My 7 year old brought a book home on sharks. We humans kill way more sharks then sharks kill us.

db7
October 4th, 2005, 11:25 AM
WE humans kill way more of everything!

Rshetley
October 4th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Thats the sickest crap I have ever seen. Perhaps for the people who treat animals that way, we can hook them through the butt and use them as lion bait! Perhaps dingo food! Thats just sick and preverse!