Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can Dogs Get Sick From Adding Lime To Yard?

MLKOHL
October 3rd, 2005, 02:32 PM
Last Tuesday Evening I Put Down Lime (powder) In My Yard. I Waited Until Almost Dark So That The Dew Would Help The Lime To Settle. The Next Evening After Work, One Of My Golden Retrievers (5y/o) Started Coughing And The Other (almost 6 Months) Wouldn't Eat And Occasionally Vomitted Up Water. Now Almost A Week Later, The Older One Still Coughs On And Off-it's Almost Like A Dry,irritating Cough. The Younger One Has Eaten Only 2 Out Of The Last 5 Days. Sometimes He Just Mopes Around The House And Other Times He's Out Playing. The Younger One Is Good For Eating Or Chewing On Anything He Finds. It Occured To Me The Other Day That This Started The Day After Treating The Yard. Just When I Think It's Not Getting Better And I Am Ready To Load Them Up And Take Them To The Vet, They Are Both Playing And Wrestling With Each Other, Like Nothing's Wrong. Could The Lime Be The Culprit? I Know Other People Who Have Used This In Their Yard With No Problems.

Trinitie
October 3rd, 2005, 02:59 PM
It sounds to me as if the dogs have inhaled, or ingested, some of the lime. If it's entered thier lungs, it may have burned the tissues.

You seriously need to bring those dogs into the vet to have them checked out.

If I may ask, why were you putting lime in your backyard?

StaceyB
October 3rd, 2005, 03:29 PM
Did you hose the area after you applied the lime