Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How much

sjat24
October 3rd, 2005, 02:53 PM
do you spend on dog grooming (no hair cut included, just washing/drying and clipping the nails)?
I want to take Raven to a groomer near my place, they charge 50-60 bucks, is that worth it or a rip off?

Rottielover
October 3rd, 2005, 03:41 PM
In my opinion I do not spend money on grooming, I have fun, and bond with harley in bath time. If you are worried for nail clipping, most places will do it for 5- 10 dollars. Congrats on the new addition

BMDLuver
October 3rd, 2005, 03:47 PM
wow, that seems pretty darn high for a bath n blow dry. I would just take your new addition in for a nail clip, should be a max of $10. Then try just bathing and towel drying, lab's have short coats so it won't be a big adventure and they love water. Just put your swimsuit on and get the nails cut first! :)

StaceyB
October 3rd, 2005, 04:27 PM
For a lab it should cost 30-35.

sjat24
October 3rd, 2005, 07:03 PM
I guess I should be calling around to other places. Our bathroom is kinda small! And her nails are black, which makes it really hard to and scary for me to clip them. I have done her front paws but clipped off very little nail on each toes. I would like to watch the groomer and see how they do it.
So does anybody in Montreal-Westisland know a good/affordable groomer?

Prin
October 3rd, 2005, 07:09 PM
I know one, but it's far from where you might be... It's "La Pagaille" on Fleury. They charge $45 for the whole bit and they do it well. They also give (expensive) classes on how to become a groomer. Everybody I know who goes there swears by them (it's very close to my dog park).
I don't know if the link from the yeller pages is going to work..
Yeller pages link (http://canada411.yellowpages.ca/mp/QC/MONTREAL/Ecole%2BDe%2BTonte%2Bde%2Bla%2BPagaille/514/3893930/311%252C%2Brue%2BFleury%2BOuest/Montr%25E9al/H3L1V4/0/1/0000000000000954470098024807.html)

BTW The green square in the middle of the map is my dog park..

I can also tell you a place not to go, but that's slander... It's really expensive, so I doubt you'll go there anyway... :evil:

Lucky Rescue
October 3rd, 2005, 07:32 PM
Try Mondou, in the Blue Haven shopping center (I think - it's been awhile) They used to do grooming too!

Prin
October 3rd, 2005, 07:39 PM
Woofers on Sources does grooming too, but I don't know how much they charge.

mafiaprincess
October 3rd, 2005, 07:58 PM
I pay 50-60 bucks to get an unmatted cocker bathed, clipped, nails and ears.. for a lab, that's sketchy.

sjat24
October 3rd, 2005, 09:11 PM
Thanks guys.

Prin- I know that area my Mother in law lives near there but yup its far. Thanks though, I wish there was a dog park around here!

Prin
October 3rd, 2005, 09:15 PM
Prin- I know that area my Mother in law lives near there but yup its far. Thanks though, I wish there was a dog park around here!
I don't think you visit her enough! :D

sjat24
October 3rd, 2005, 09:43 PM
LOL yeah :o your right. She visits me and hubby to much :rolleyes:

susieqt
October 3rd, 2005, 10:26 PM
Hi! I'm a groomer. We charge 40-45 (plus tax) for an adult lab. That includes the bath, brush/comb out to remove any dead fur, nails, ears and anal glands. It takes us about 1 hour to 1.5 hours, depending on drying time, to do start to finish. We finish up with a nice smelling doggie perfume and bandanna, and the dogs look and feel great when they are finished. Yes, I think it is worth the money as it is harder to do at home. I have a mixed lab that I never have time to do and sometimes I feel like paying someone to groom him! I do think 50-60 bucks is a little high, especially if Raven is still a puppy. Too bad I am on the Southshore as you could bring him down to my shop.

sjat24
October 3rd, 2005, 10:35 PM
Hi! I'm a groomer. We charge 40-45 (plus tax) for an adult lab. That includes the bath, brush/comb out to remove any dead fur, nails, ears and anal glands. It takes us about 1 hour to 1.5 hours, depending on drying time, to do start to finish. We finish up with a nice smelling doggie perfume and bandanna, and the dogs look and feel great when they are finished. Yes, I think it is worth the money as it is harder to do at home. I have a mixed lab that I never have time to do and sometimes I feel like paying someone to groom him! I do think 50-60 bucks is a little high, especially if Raven is still a puppy. Too bad I am on the Southshore as you could bring him down to my shop.

Aww I wish I can take her there! I dont even have a car. Sounds like a great place to go to, like a spa for dogs LOL.

Shaykeija
October 4th, 2005, 12:04 AM
It costs me $80 to get Sophie and Missie done. Well this month I decided to try to cut their hair myself. Missie looks great unfortunatly Sophies face looks funny right now. From the ears back she looks great but from the ears up, she looks rough and mean. Poor Shih Tzhu. My groomer laughed her butt off when she saw Sophie. She is going to clean her face up on Wednesday. :p

Rottielover
October 4th, 2005, 08:15 AM
I used to work for Animax, then Mondou, they never did grooming, but right next door does at efi's. I believe it is 45$ there. Where on the west island are you, maybe we can meet up for some doggie socialization ??