Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat incontinence

sarahcb
October 3rd, 2005, 12:11 PM
My cat pees in her sleep, or when she is waking up. She has chronic cystitis, and we have found ways to manage it without her having an attack, but she is still peeing in her sleep. She eats G/D canned food for kidney problems because the vet prescribed it a while ago based on a specific gravity of 1.035 on urine tests (even though she is 5 years old, very young to be having kidney problems). We are at our wit's end and her peeing problem is getting worse. Help!

CyberKitten
October 4th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Have you tried a kitty diaper while she is sleeping? I know chronic cystitis can be frustrating but sometimes the most you can do is minimize her discomfort and the mess and a "diaper" might help her. Many humans with handicapped pets use them with success. She could wear the diaper at night so that when she wakes up, she won't be in her own urine. Poor baby!

http://www.handicappedpets.com/gallery/fripple11/fripple3.jpg

These are for dogs but also help for cats:

http://www.diapersfordogs.com/

justncase
October 4th, 2005, 01:59 PM
The chronic cystitis needs to be addressed. Because your cat was not initially cured of the condition it has reached a chronic stage. It need not have reached that stage because cystitis is curable. Once it is, the passive urination problem should cease. You may wish to look for second opinion for this and also look into cranberry extract capsules . Cystitis can become antibiotic- resistant, but the bacteria responsible for the condition don't become cranberry- resistant and for that reason cranberry is curative. Usually one capsule every twelve hours along with a somewhat increased fluid consumption( necessary to create enough fluid in the bladder for the bacteria to be flushed out ) then one a day as a preventative. There are other ways of curing cystitis too, but cranberry is the one to be considered first because of its high success rate.

sarahcb
October 4th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Many thanks to both of you. I will buy some cranberry capsules tomorrow. Do you think she take the same ones humans take? A health food store near my house has them. Otherwise I will have to order them online from a pet website. Also I will probably get one of the pet diapers just in case this persists...I do feel much less helpless now though.

justncase
October 5th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Do you think she can take the same ones humans take?

The human formula of cranberry extract capsules can be used.

SnowDancer
October 5th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Many people with disabled Dachshunds use the puppy diapers with considerable success. Goldengirl uses them on Heidi-Ho. Just have to develop the knack of putting them on - probably easier with a dog than with a cat. I feel sorry for your cat. I have suffered from kidney stones - acid based - not calcium - and it is not fun. I did try cranberry but since I am very acid, made it worse. Maybe check dosage for your cat with your vet.

justncase
October 5th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Therapeutic Uses for Cranberry
For pets, the recommended dosage varies with the product. One recommended product used in cats recommends a daily dose of 250 mg of cranberry...
home.ivillage.com/pets/cats/0,,b21g-2,00.html | Save

Onibasu.com :: [K9Nutrition] Re: Cranberry Capsules?
Pure cranberry juice (not sugary cranberry juice cocktail with its low percentage of cranberry) should be used for best effect. For pets, the...
onibasu.com/archives/kn/122069.html |

cpietra16
October 5th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Samson was 20 when he started wearing diapers..mostly because he got lazy and did not like to get up from his 20 hour nap and go. At the time I had a newborn and I decided they would both wear diapers. Baby ofcourse...normal way. Samson I just cut a hole for the tail and put it on. He hated it for about a day and then got use to it. It cut my work in half by not having to clean up after him.

sarahcb
October 5th, 2005, 06:45 PM
It's so interesting that a lot of cats get used to diapers, like your Samson did! I hope mine would be okay with it. Also, I bought the cranberry capsules today and fed her the dose, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Another question: I heard that a "natural" canned food can help their health and immune system and maybe help fight this cystitis. There are lots of brands out there that look pretty good, but I've held out so far because my vet recommended this G/D stuff. But he is the only one in town who sells it, so maybe there's a motivation there...I'd like to buy the natural canned food, but I don't know whether it would be good for her sensitive urinary system...what do you all think?