Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Raven tends to ....

sjat24
October 3rd, 2005, 12:11 PM
poop on the streets, I guess because she was a stray she thinks she can poop anywhere. Can I train her not to?

Prin
October 3rd, 2005, 12:12 PM
How does she react to grass? Maybe she was a city dog and hasn't been around grass much...

StaceyB
October 3rd, 2005, 12:20 PM
This is common for dogs who have been able to use hard surfaces like if she was kept in for example a kitchen, pen etc. Don't give your pup this option when you take her out. The best times to get her started are during the times that you know she will have to go.

sjat24
October 3rd, 2005, 12:27 PM
This is common for dogs who have been able to use hard surfaces like if she was kept in for example a kitchen, pen etc. Don't give your pup this option when you take her out. The best times to get her started are during the times that you know she will have to go.

When I woke up this morning I knew she would have to go so I took her out right away but before I can reach to the park just across the street, she poops on the street!!

How does she react to grass? Maybe she was a city dog and hasn't been around grass much...

Yesterday she pooped on the grass, so cant be afraid of the grass. She even rolls around on the grass too.

Prin
October 3rd, 2005, 12:28 PM
Is it really such a bad thing? I mean, I know, there might be cars, but wouldn't it be easier to pick up? :D

sjat24
October 3rd, 2005, 12:35 PM
Its not a bad thing and I dont mind picking up the poop off the street, its about the cars. I just dont want her to stop automatically and poop when there is a car coming... :o its kinda embrassing, no? The street is sort of busy.

Lucky Rescue
October 3rd, 2005, 12:54 PM
She's a puppy and she's new to your home. My dog also would go on the street when I first got her. She just didn't know that I was taking her to a place where she SHOULD go.

She caught on quickly and now will only go in ditches or off the trails when I take her out.

When your puppy goes on the street and you pick it up, take it to the park with you, put it down and tell her "Go potty" and when she sniffs, praise her. Never scold her for going on the street.

She needs time, that's all!:)

LM1313
October 3rd, 2005, 12:55 PM
Would it be possible to carry her across streets, then set her down, then praise her like crazy when she goes on grass? Just a thought! :)

The street seems like a dangerous place to go!

~LM~

sjat24
October 3rd, 2005, 01:02 PM
When your puppy goes on the street and you pick it up, take it to the park with you, put it down and tell her "Go potty" and when she sniffs, praise her. Never scold her for going on the street.

That sounds great! I am going to try that and I would never scold her for her mistake nor for anything at all.

Would it be possible to carry her across streets, then set her down, then praise her like crazy when she goes on grass? Just a thought! :)

The street seems like a dangerous place to go!

~LM~

Like this morning when she started to poop on the street I tried to pull her up on to the grass ( just 2 feet away!) but she manage to finish her business.

Sometime the street wont have a car driving on it for five minutes or more than other times they are coming every minute. I would say on average there is a car coming every 2 minutes.

BoxerRescueMTL
October 3rd, 2005, 01:38 PM
You can also get some crazy yummy treats that she'll do anything for, and lure her across the street, moving quickly, focusing on the treat. Then treat her after she poops.

Prin
October 3rd, 2005, 05:09 PM
What about running across the street? Like you wait at your door for a quiet moment and then SPRINT!

sjat24
October 3rd, 2005, 05:55 PM
What about running across the street? Like you wait at your door for a quiet moment and then SPRINT!
LOL Yeah!! I am gonna do that, then I am going to get hit by a car LOL (just joking). But actually I think I may have to do that.

mafiaprincess
October 3rd, 2005, 11:41 PM
My pup went on the sidewalk and on people's driveways for a few months before she ever wanted to poop on the grass. Took time, she got used to it..

Beetlecat
October 4th, 2005, 10:29 AM
My dog prefers to poop on grass (alongside the sidewalk or whatever), but if there's no grass immedietly beside him, he'll stop wherever he is (ie parking lot). I don't really like it when he does this, but I don't scold him, 'cause that just doesn't seem right. I'm still not sure how I'm going to stop this behaviour. Hopefully, he'll be able to hold it for a more appropriate time as he gets older.

IMO, what would be best is to never give her the option of the pavement. Perhaps if there's a small patch of dirt or grass closer than the park, that could give her the idea of the appropriate type of place. Hmm... perhaps I should just teach mine to only poop next to a garbage can lol.

Once he even stopped in the middle of an intersection while we were biking home from the doggysitters! That one has been my fault 'cause I didn't make sure he had gone before we started home. And he was too excited in greeting me to go potty on his own initiative.

It sure is a contrast to when I was much younger and lead the family dog in a parade. She was a farm dog so I couldn't make her go before the parade (not that doing so had occured to me anyways). The parade was on pavement and then when we were putting the float away down a back road, the very second her paws touched gravel she squatted to pee. she must have had to go bad but still waited 'til she was off the hard surface of the pavement.

Beaglemom
October 4th, 2005, 10:59 AM
How old is Raven? I think the idea of teaching her a command to potty is a great idea. It takes some time, especially with a puppy who can't hold it in. They tend to go when they have the urge, but this will change. I would try to prevent her from going on the street by carrying her if you can to the spot that you find acceptable. Once there, give her the command to potty and then praise like mad.