Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dream interpretation

raingirl
October 3rd, 2005, 11:09 AM
Anyone know how to interpret dreams?

I have been having something odd happening lately.

I have always been a vivid dreamer. I often remember complex dream sequences, and my dreams are always very weird. I also talk in my sleep, and have sleep walked on a few occasions.

Lately I have been having odd dreams about my ex-boyfriend. It's been happening for a few months, maybe longer. I don't know why it's happening, and it's driving me nuts. I hate the guy and I DON'T want to be dreaming about him. We did date for about 9 years, through high school and university, so unfortunately a lot of my "formative" years and memories he is in, but it's not like I'm dreaming about those times. They are just random dreams and when I wake up I realize he was in the dream.

I have been with my current BF for almost 4 years now, so it's not a recent break up or anything.

I just want it to stop. It's driving me insane that I can't figure out what is trigering them. Any suggestions?

jessi76
October 3rd, 2005, 11:15 AM
you should interpret your own dreams. Keep a dream journal for a while, write down everything you remember about each dream, then look for patterns, symbols, and things that relate to your daily life. Keep the journal right next to your bed, so if you wake in the middle of the night, you can easily write down what you remember.

Prin
October 3rd, 2005, 11:31 AM
Usually the people in your dream represent some part of you. How do you feel about how you were when you were with that guy? Could he represent a stage in your life that you are getting out of?

He could also be an event, depending on the context. If you hate him and you know deep down you hate him, then he could represent something that is going on in your life that you have to deal with.

It really all depends on the context of the dream.

Roxy's_MA
October 3rd, 2005, 11:59 AM
I alway find the weirdest people pop up in my dreams. Like someone I haven't seen for four years, and who doesn't really mean anything to me. In the morning I'll be like "why was that person in my dream?"

Lately I don't remember my dreams for more than about five seconds after I wake up anyway.

Prin
October 3rd, 2005, 12:04 PM
That's why you're supposed to have a pen and paper ready beside your bed (if you really want to figure them out).

jiorji
October 4th, 2005, 01:11 AM
I don't have enough detail to the dream to attempt to "interpret" it, BUT ex bf dreams are usually your subconscious reminding you of issues you have with that one person. Most likely unresolved issues, or things you should've said and didn't get a chance to. You said you hate him, for whatever reason that feeling is a burden and I think that deep down inside you'd like to put that at rest.

What I can also say about the dreams not being of past instances, again I think it's because your subconscious is trying to formulate alternative endings to what actually happened and give your mind peace to stop being bothered by the breakup, even though you're thinking you're not, obviously you are since it's bothering you in dreams. Nothing wrong with that, we can't always control situations like that.

Or you see him differently in your dreams, again wishing he was different so you were at peace with him.

Even though it happened a while ago I think that the human mind has the ability to toss back things it cannot change anymore and ignore it and eventually forget about it, and then I guess something triggers it, and so the dreams occur and drive you mad......are you following me on this?? lol

anyways, if you were to think about it him for a bit and try to let it go, whatever he did or whatever you're angry about, if you could try to just say that you're better off now and that was just a lesson or something like that, anything that would give your mind peace about him, I think your "nightmares" would stop.

I no longer have dreams abotu my ex because i guess I can't blame him any longer for not wanting to be with me..

If there's more detail to what your ex does in dreams or whatever else I'd love to hear about it. I find this stuff extremely interesting lol, but that's my analysis of your dream. I hope it makes sense, I kept getting distracted when writing it.

jiorji
October 4th, 2005, 01:17 AM
I was going to add something else but I can't cos there's not enough detail to the dream.

I was just thinking that since you gave him so much of your time and then it ended, with the new bf there could be certain fears that you're not aware of scaring you to think you don't want the same to happen?

don't get mad :sorry: just a guess.

shannonRN
October 5th, 2005, 03:39 AM
I say this with the utmost sincerity, and NOT to be an instigator, but your statements "I hate the guy" and "we dated for 9 years" just don't jive. You don't date someone you hate for 9 years. I obviously don't know the circumstances of your breakup, but I would guess there are some issues that were left unresolved, probably the ones that make you feel hatred now, and these always have a way of coming back to haunt you.

Anyhow, 9 years is a long time, he's bound to pop up here and there in your memories. There's always the possibility that you continue to dream about him because now you're freaked out about it and it's on your mind. Other than being disconcerting, I don't think there's necessarily any harm in dreaming about people from the past.

I'm going to hijack this thread a little, I hope you don't mind :sorry:
jiorji et al, I know that animals are very symbolic in dreams, but do you think there is any significance to someone dreaming about animals incessantly--like there are not only animals in every dream I have, but the animals are the main players in probably 90% of my dreams and they are almost always sick. I can't help the sick animals even though I try to feed and shelter them. I have had one dream multiple times where I take in a whole litter of kittens that I find on my doorstep and they get sick and die--in the dream, I come home to find them dead and just start sobbing. I have similar dreams involving dogs, wolves, elephants, lions, tigers...I wake up after these dreams feeling gut-wrenchingly sad, and I don't quite understand why I have them. :confused: :confused: :confused:

jiorji
October 5th, 2005, 08:18 AM
jiorji et al, I know that animals are very symbolic in dreams, but do you think there is any significance to someone dreaming about animals incessantly--like there are not only animals in every dream I have, but the animals are the main players in probably 90% of my dreams and they are almost always sick. I can't help the sick animals even though I try to feed and shelter them. I have had one dream multiple times where I take in a whole litter of kittens that I find on my doorstep and they get sick and die--in the dream, I come home to find them dead and just start sobbing. I have similar dreams involving dogs, wolves, elephants, lions, tigers...I wake up after these dreams feeling gut-wrenchingly sad, and I don't quite understand why I have them. :confused: :confused: :confused:

well my first thought is: do you work with animals? maybe at a rescue or spca?

shannonRN
October 5th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Well, I do now, but the dreams started long before--years before--volunteering at a shelter. I get the feeling that the dreams aren't so much about the animals, but about the sadness, that the animals are symbolic of something.

Raingirl, I was thinking more about it, and my husband and I went through a 'seven year itch' period a few years ago, and at that time, I started dreaming about my ex. I think it was a subconscious jolt to get me to work more on our relationship or it would go the way of previous relationships. When hubby and I worked things out, the dreams went away. Just a thought.

jiorji
October 5th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Well, I do now, but the dreams started long before--years before--volunteering at a shelter. I get the feeling that the dreams aren't so much about the animals, but about the sadness, that the animals are symbolic of something.

well first off let me say that I'm into new age and buddhism stuff so whether you believe in this or not it's up to you, but this is what my thought on it is:

The animals were calling out to you to help them and heal them and take care of them, and now you're a volunteer and help animals. Maybe the dreams were guiding you towards this as it being one of the tasks you have to do in your life.
I think them dieing symbolizes not actual death but the end of the task and the end of the bad in the animal's life. When you find a sick and/or abandoned animal and you help it and give it a new home, your goal has been reached and so the problem "dies away".

And well animals symbolize many things in many cultures. I believe the Natives look highly to animal spirits. Each animal carries a certain wisdom or trait, like a bear for health and medicine.
But in your case, personally I don't think it has anything to do with that because it's a greater number of animals. And usually if they are meant to be taken as symbols they're not usually sick or dieing. I could be wrong but this is how I see it. No right or wrong :)

shannonRN
October 5th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Although I don't practice any more than a few elements of it, I have much respect for 'buddhism stuff,' LOL, so I'm very open-minded to it.

I thought that was probably true about the animals--that there are too many being represented to truly have the traditional symbolism, i.e. that cats symbolize sexuality, femininity, etc--because I will dream the same/similar scenario with dogs and elephants too. Thanks for your input.

Prin
October 5th, 2005, 10:39 PM
In my dreams, the animals always represented my childhood in a way. They are basically the equivalent to me when I was little- innocent, helpless, and have no idea what is going on. My dreams made me address issues I hadn't dealt with, things that were lacking in the way I took care of myself, how I parented myself.