Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Toronto Area Recues

Lizzie
October 3rd, 2005, 10:33 AM
Hi there: Can anyone point me in the direction of reputable rescues in the Toronto area? I know of a little pup in need of a new home and want to give the family information on who to contact as this is just a small breed dog, likely high on the list of "wanted" dogs in rescues. As he is super cute, they are having trouble deciding whether or not people actually want him for all that he is, or if they just want a little cute dog for a while.

Thanks in advance for the info!

SnowDancer
October 3rd, 2005, 10:44 AM
Could I ask what breed of dog?

Lizzie
October 3rd, 2005, 11:05 AM
I believe it's a shih tzu mix--under a year.

princessliliann
October 3rd, 2005, 11:55 AM
Can you please let me know where you take him? I am looking for a young, small dog. I have recently moved here and am living in an apartment (7 units). There are other pets in the building, so it is not an issue with the landlord.

I have recently separated and decided to leave my "girls" with my husband and my son. I know they will be well taken care of, and I couldn't bear the thought of splitting them up, or taking them away from my son. My "girls" are a 15 yr old Border Collie (Bingo), a 4 yr old shep/mix (Princess Lilianne), a 16 yr old cat (Chico), and 1 yr old hamster (Bijou).

My son will be thrilled to have another "fur ball" to visit, as he is a loving and compassionate 10 yr old who absolutely adores animals.

I have tonnesssssss of love and time to devote to a little tyke.

Anyone with any other information as to where to locate adoptable dogs in the Toronto area, please let me know. (I have been to the Humane Society, and have been to Pet Find as well.)

Thanks

Lizzie
October 3rd, 2005, 12:06 PM
Hi there Princesslilian: This pup is not my pup. I'm just trying to find information to help someone out, who is trying to help the owner's out.

Have you checked www.petfinder.ca for a listing of all the small breed dogs in your area?

SnowDancer
October 3rd, 2005, 12:14 PM
Lizzie, Actually I asked what type of dog because I was going to suggest that you ask your friends to check with their vet. Often they have many clients who adopt animals through their clinics and if this could be arranged, the dog would not have to go through the rescue/shelter process - and of course the pet's history would be known, which is a comfort to the new owners - and often the new owners continue to use the same vet. My vet does this for her clients whenever possible. All but one of my dogs have been adopted through her. Since this dog is a dog that is "in demand" it might be a solution. Contract, if necessary, depending on client who takes in dog, would be with vet.

happycats
October 3rd, 2005, 12:24 PM
Here is a small dog rescue, in the toronto area. http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/ON190.html

Lizzie
October 3rd, 2005, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the tips snowdancer and happy cats. I'm passing along all of this information!