Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs and Christmas?

BeagleMum
October 3rd, 2005, 09:11 AM
I know that this is early but I am trying to prepare myself.

I have 2 beagles who at Christmas will be 13 months and 5 months. They both have not seen a Christmas tree before. What can I expect? Are they going to wreck the tree the way that my cats did?

What are your experiences?

BMDLuver
October 3rd, 2005, 09:19 AM
I would decorate the tree only 3/4's of the way down and nail it to the wall, meaning put a string around it 1/3 down with a nail on either side to anchor it. Some tree decorations look pretty fun to puppies. :eek: No tinsel either would be a good idea or icicles.

TobsterMom
October 3rd, 2005, 09:38 AM
My groomer thought it would be a good idea to decorate a tree in her shop with milkbones hanging from ribbons.

Toby ate half the tree.

So...don't do that :p

I was lucky though, Toby was kind of intimidated by the tree, so he basically avoided it.

Someone told be once that they put a little garden fence (the little white ones you would put around your flowers) around theirs, and it worked.

2 baby beagles eh?....good luck! :fingerscr

Beaglemom
October 3rd, 2005, 09:44 AM
Two beagles! Wow, I had a hard time handling one beagle puppy! They are alot of fun though!

Misty didn't care much for our Christmas tree. She pretty much left it alone. The one thing I can picture is when the two puppies are playing and accidently make their way into the tree. It will come crashing down. I would put a fence like enclosures around the tree as Tobstermom suggested. Also, like BMDLuver suggested, don't use tinsel. This can cause intestinal blockages if ingested by pets.

Also, careful with the gifts. Beagles have really good noses and won't hesitate to open up a few gifts if they smell interesting to them!

Lissa
October 3rd, 2005, 10:15 AM
Dodger was 5 months old a Christmas time last year too. We were in training then, so he was quite obedient. Even when Minnow climbed up the tree, he didn't try anything that would have caused the tree to come crashing down. He did like to take a few of the ornaments down though :D ! I'm more worried about this year because of his size!

With 2 playmate beagles though, I think you could be in for some interesting christmas moments. You'll have to keep your eyes on them!

LM1313
October 3rd, 2005, 12:19 PM
Is it a real tree? When my dog was a puppy, she only sniffed the tree itself but she kept going under the tree to drink the water. I just read that pine sap can be harmful to animals--we never knew! We didn't put any ornaments where she could reach when she was a pup, so that wasn't a problem. :)

Now, when we had a kitten, she would not only climb the tree and bat off the ornaments, but also pull the Christmas lights out of their sockets with her teeth. For the longest time we thought they were just falling out. ;)

~LM~

Prin
October 3rd, 2005, 12:28 PM
Never put chocolatey presents under the tree. My great aunt did that and her dog ate them and died. :sad:

I decorate the bottom with those plastic ones- you know the ones that are covered in thread? I have those at the bottom.

Jemma likes to rub on the tree, so you really do either have to tie it down or get a really heavy base.

I've never had trouble with the doggies drinking out of the tree (they're too big) which is good because I put "miracle grow" for conifers in the water (keeps the tree growing, therefore alive)...

We also get presents for the doggies... Costco usually has a doggy gift bag and we open it up and sort it out and wrap them for the doggies. Boo has always been a natural unwrapper- you just give him a present and he unwraps it, but Jemma took 2 years of practice... :)

LM1313
October 3rd, 2005, 12:49 PM
Ebony gets presents to unwrap too. :) She loves it . . . "holding" the present in her paws and pulling the paper off with her teeth. She'll unwrap anything you give her, but she's very good about not "helping herself" to presents. ;)

With puppies around, maybe you should wait until just before you unwrap to put the presents out. :)

~LM~

TobsterMom
October 3rd, 2005, 01:05 PM
My in-laws dog Sparky is a real gift opener. We stayed there one Christmas, and you could hear the crackle of paper in the middle of the night, we had to get up and put all the presents out of reach. He would open all of his gifts, then give you awful dirty looks, until you let him open yours.

Toby hasn't caught on, he just eats the paper.

doggy lover
October 3rd, 2005, 10:33 PM
Tucker was only 7 months old last year at christmas, this year he knows how to cock his leg, so I'm hoping that this won't happen in the house? We just kept telling him to leave it last year, but he couldn't figure out why the cat was allowed in the tree. We will have to wait and see what he does this year :fingerscr .

StaceyB
October 3rd, 2005, 11:25 PM
I would set the tree in a room that can be blocked off or you can surround the tree with an x-pen. Either way keep them away from it. Some puppies will ignore it and other will want nothing more than to get into it. Also, don't put presents under the tree until christmas eve.