Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Breast Cancer Awareness Month!

Prin
October 3rd, 2005, 02:12 AM
It's October, and that's breast cancer awareness month. I have been incredibly lucky to have nobody close to me with breast cancer (knock on wood), but it is still a disease that affects sooo many women that I had to bring it up.

I know a lot of you know people who have had breast cancer, and every story forces us to be more aware. I thought I was aware, and then a few days ago, Mona convinced me that even young'uns like me need mammograms too (I'll be asking next time I go to the gyno).

And don't forget those self exams! They're your breasts, don't be shy! :)

( :o <--- she's pink, so I figured she could represent, no?)

shannonRN
October 3rd, 2005, 02:37 AM
http://www.carolsutton.net/pink/pink_ribbonv.jpg
Yes, do those exams. Breast cancer is becoming very treatable when caught early. Here's a link if you don't know how

breast exam (http://www.breastcancer.org/dia_detec_exam_idx.html)

CyberKitten
October 3rd, 2005, 02:46 AM
Breast self exams are somewhat controversial - a major study showed they made no difference (that major New England Journal study of nurses) but I still think it's a good idea to do it. It can't hurt to be aware of your body and understand what should be there and what should not.

I lost my grandmother - who was a nurse- to breast cancer. Paternal gmother tho so I am not at high risk personally. But I have lost friends and have one friend now whose mother and sister both died of it and now has has returned after being in remission for many yrs. (even past the magic 5 year mark, sigh!) If I were healthier, I'd run for the cure but I do cheer everyone on who does it and we have a great turn out every year in Halifax!

Prin
October 3rd, 2005, 12:47 PM
All I have to say about the controversy is the more you feel yourself up, the more you will know how you're supposed to feel and the better you will detect.

mrjohndoe
October 4th, 2005, 06:59 AM
For some reason I thought it was last month. Probably because of the walk in TO.

Unfortunately this hits a little close to home. Had my own scare last year resulting in a mastectomy..rare for a guy. Since January my second cousin lost a breast and my aunt is about to undergo chemo. Now the surgeon didn't see the need for a mastectomy but, that's up to the oncologist.

Hey men you need to know that breast cancer affects you too. We all have women in our life's that are at risk. My thoughts & prayers to all of those out there fighting the fight.

mona_b
October 4th, 2005, 07:22 AM
My sisters and I are at a high risk.My mother lost both of her breasts to cancer.And who knows,so could my daughter and neices.All I can say is that if it's in the family or not,you can be at risk no matter what.I have a friend who lost one of he brests,and these was absalutely no breast cancer in the family at all.

And yes I agree,men too should be checking.

If I recall,the walk was done on Saturday.

huskypup
October 4th, 2005, 07:30 AM
My grandmother died of breast cancer and my mum had a double mastectomy 5 years ago, she has also had cancer of the womb and the mouth, she is still fighting on and lets nothing stop her enjoying herself, as there is such a high risk of cancer on my mums side, my sister and I were offered gene therapy, so see if were carrying any cancer genes - we both declined - we don't want to live in fear of something that may or maynot happen.

"Life is not measured by the breaths that we take, but by the moments in our life that take our breath away"

Prin
October 4th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Mrjohndoe, thank you so much for bringing up that it happens to men too. I'm sorry for what happened to you, but you getting the word out helps others. :)

Dog Dancer
October 4th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Yes Mrjohndoe is right, cancer does not discriminate. I was very proud of my son (27) who went in the Run for the Cure this past Sunday. I even raised some funds around the office for him being as it was a good cause. He has a close friend who was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was 25. She was in the run with them but could only walk and since my son has a bad knee from football he walked with her. It's good to see our children becoming responsible and caring adults. Awareness counts. :thumbs up

melanie
October 5th, 2005, 05:31 PM
did you know as many men die from prostrate cancer as woman die of breast cancer??????

we dont have a breast cnacer month but a week, and this year we are focusing on the silent kiiller of men, as we all know and support breast cancer, the breast cancer ppl thought it about time we focus on this issue, and hopefully make everyone aware about it like breast cancer thus dropping numbers and educating, so give the guys a thought this week, they dote discuss it so its time we all made it a huge deal and help save their lives too :D

CyberKitten
October 5th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Sorry bout your illness mrjohndoe - I hope you are on the up side of it now and yes, so many assume that breast cancer is a disease of just women. Not at all the case. Mel, the sad thing about prostrate cancer is that it is rather like cervical cancer, one of the easist to detect and treat and some men just look the other way and think it will either never happen to them or else they do not want to treat it aggressively when it does.

melanie
October 9th, 2005, 05:46 PM
CK its terrible isnt it, woman naturalyl talk too so it is very different for the blokes. they jsut started the 'be a man' campaign where all men are goaded to 'be a man' about their health, that is working on the premisis that a real man would look after himself and have the check, apparently they think it will work.... hope so....

and our brilliant scientists jsut made a cancer vaccine, yahhhoooooooo.....

Prin
October 9th, 2005, 09:12 PM
There's a Dr Marla special on CTV next Saturday. She was diagnosed with breast cancer last year (or maybe 2 years ago). For those of you who don't know her, she's a dr who had a health show on tv. She was so healthy! It can happen to anyone. :sad: