Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Horners/Haws syndrome caused during sedation?

hamaroo
October 2nd, 2005, 11:49 PM
I recently took my 6-year old cat Boo to the vet to have her teeth cleaned. They had to remove one of her front canines. Apparently it took her longer than normal to wake up from the anesthesia, and when I picked her up, I was informed that the third eyelid on one eye was partially covering the eye but that it was not uncommon (they said it sometimes happens to cats after being under anesthesia), and that it should resolve in a few days. I was sent home with liquid amoxicillin, which I gave her twice a day (1ml each time) for 5 days. A week and a half later, the third eyelid has retracted, but the eyeball itself is still noticeably a bit sunken, and the pupil in that eye is more constricted (quite a bit so). Boo doesn't seem to be in any discomfort, but I've noticed that she's been shaking her head a lot over the past couple of days- as if something nasty-tasting were in her mouth. From the info I gathered online, her eye symptoms all seem to point to Horners (aka Haws) syndrome, but I didn't see anything stating that it could be caused by sedating the pet... Could it be that the condition was dormant but triggered by the anesthesia? I'm a bit concerned that the eyelid resolved but the eye is still sunken/constricted- is there anything the vet can do for this?

justncase
October 4th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Just a possibility, but for anesthesia a chemical is used ,and that chemical can remain in the system long after ,producing various " symptoms". Rescue Remedy has had some good results for this type of thing.