Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Speeding?

Prin
October 2nd, 2005, 10:35 PM
I'm just wondering if any of you have experienced this because I get it all the time...

Today, I was going 100km/h in a 90 in the middle of nowhere. There was a guy on the other side of the road walking his husky and he stopped and stared at my car like I was speeding and out of control.

I get that ALL the time. I wasn't even going that fast. Is it because I'm young or what? One time I got that look for going 30 in a 50!! The man even did the "slow down" gesture with his hands! What the hey!? If 30 in a 50 is too fast for you, maybe you need some kind of pill. :mad: :rolleyes:

Puppyluv
October 2nd, 2005, 10:51 PM
I have to admit I'm one of the people who give drivers that look. Sorry:o
To a pedestrian, the cars just seem soooo fast. Even if the car is going the speed limit, I get scared, especially when I have Layla with me.
I guess what's really bad, is that when I used to drive, I was a huge speeder. :o
So I probably need two pills, one for each issue.

Prin
October 2nd, 2005, 10:53 PM
LOL, if I see you I'll be sure to put it in neutral and revv a bit just to freak you out. :D :evil: :evil: (I only do that to teenagers who think they're cool)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 2nd, 2005, 10:56 PM
Actually I usually go 10k over the speed limit on the highway which is nothing because everyone passes me at 130k at least. I never speed in a school zone, if I see the anybody speeding it really pisses me off because there are so many kids around. One time I followed a kid right into the highschool after I saw him speed down the street and gave him a piece of my mind.

Other than school zones the speed limit is 50k pretty much everywhere. People who drive below the speed limit that drives me crazy too.

Maybe the guy that waived his hand at you when you were doing 30 in a 50 wanted you to speed up. :D

Prin
October 2nd, 2005, 11:03 PM
LOL no, definitely not! :D I speed all the time, but NEVER in school zones. I couldn't live if I did something to a kid.

Puppyluv
October 2nd, 2005, 11:08 PM
I used to go out of my way to not even drive through school and playground zones. My best friend's cousin hit a 10yo girl going under 30, and the little girl died. I can't imagine what it would be like.... :(
Now that I think about it though, it's probably best that I don't drive.. I had the worst road rage from day one. Turned 16, got my license that day and road rage the next :rolleyes:

Prin
October 2nd, 2005, 11:10 PM
I have road spite or road heckles, but not the rage. You should hear the names I call people. :D I've only ever been really angry once in my life. :o (Better cut me off if you want to be safe)

shannonRN
October 3rd, 2005, 01:15 AM
The speed limits in CA just seem way too low--I don't see how you could drive without speeding. You can be in the middle of nowhere and the speed limit is 50--I just don't get it. I don't dare to exceed the limits up there though--I know how merciless NY cops can be to CA-licensed drivers, who seem to drive insanely fast down here, and I assume the same would be true of police up there.

My husband is a pretty terrible driver when he wants to be, yet I've noticed he is the quickest to over-react when another driver makes some small error. I think there's a connection between the two. Anyhow, I just laugh at other drivers, or pedestrians, who get pissy with me. And keep singing ABBA at the top of my lungs :D

Prin
October 3rd, 2005, 02:02 AM
Once upon a time, we were going to Jay Peak in Vermont to go snowboarding in over foot of new powder, my dad, my brother and I, on a school day and we had the song "I don't want to work" blasting on the radio as we passed a cop. :rolleyes: My dad got a pretty HUGE ticket. It was pretty funny. We got caught playing hookie. Vermont cops love to stop Quebecers... Nobody could have that much fun while everybody else was working, right?

CyberKitten
October 3rd, 2005, 02:51 AM
I must be a boring driver. I usually go the speed limit or within the 10 km range. I have been stopped on occasion for speeding but always get a warning. (as luck would have it, lol) I do not know why anyone needs to travel fast in a zone specified as residential or a low speed zone and I too would prob look at you with a less than nice tone Prin. Before going into oncology, I saw too many kids (and others in the ER wo died needlessly in traffic accidents. Speeding is up there with drinking and dfriving and not wearing a seatbelt for me - not to suggest I am Ms Goody Two Shoes b/c I am not but I want to live longer and there are so many things we can't , I control, I see no reason at all to tempt fate!!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 3rd, 2005, 08:32 AM
I have only ever gotten one speeding ticket in my whole 20 plus years of driving and that was on my way to be interviewed for my new job. Luckliy I got it and could afford to pay my ticket. It was one of those zones where goes from 90 to 70 to 50 I guess i didnt slow down fast enough. :D

Rick C
October 3rd, 2005, 09:57 AM
I'm just wondering if any of you have experienced this because I get it all the time...

Today, I was going 100km/h in a 90 in the middle of nowhere. There was a guy on the other side of the road walking his husky and he stopped and stared at my car like I was speeding and out of control.

I get that ALL the time. I wasn't even going that fast. Is it because I'm young or what? One time I got that look for going 30 in a 50!! The man even did the "slow down" gesture with his hands! What the hey!? If 30 in a 50 is too fast for you, maybe you need some kind of pill. :mad: :rolleyes:

I'll just state the obvious alternative explanation . . . . maybe he was staring at YOU . . . if you get my drift. :sorry:

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
October 3rd, 2005, 12:32 PM
With disapproval? :o It looked like he was memorizing my licence plate number which freaked me out a little bit. I know it's the middle of nowhere and all, but that's no way to meet a lady!

Prin
October 3rd, 2005, 12:34 PM
I do not know why anyone needs to travel fast in a zone specified as residential or a low speed zone and I too would prob look at you with a less than nice tone Prin. I was going 20kms UNDER the speed limit in the city! That's slower than anybody in Quebec!

(it's funny that the majority of the people who give me the "slow down gesture" are from the generation where anything over 30 was bad and you were never going to be like your parents... My how you've changed! :D )

Schwinn
October 4th, 2005, 03:09 PM
When I drove a Z-24 with tinted windows, blacked out lights and such, I used to get the look no matter what my speed. I had a buddy get mad because I wouldn't go over 115km on the 401, even if people were passing me, yet he did over 120km and never got pulled over. I told him that's because he was in "stealth" mode. He looked like a choir boy, and drove a four door Contour, mint green. "Objects are faster than they appear". That's like the day I did 170km to Toronto because I was late and I didn't get caught--I was driving a four door Taurus with a baby seat in the back...stealth mode. (And, I wasn't driving like a jackarse weaving in and out and riding people's bumpers). He didn't believe me, so the next time we went down the highway, I had on my ball cap and big earring, looked about 21. We went past a cop in a speed trap, and he didn't take his eyes off me the entire way past him--despite someone passing me! I find now with the RED RANGER, I don't attract nearly as much attention, especially since I forgo the earring and the beard has a little gray in it.

These days I usually drive fairly close to the limit. Too many demerit points and I can't apply to the police force. When I was younger, I used to drive quite fast, but never in residential areas. Too many kids, and they're expecting cars to be going in the 50-60 km range. On the highway, I personally don't have a problem with people speeding. The guy doing 140 km, but respecting the other drivers (maintaining distance, not cutting people off), are a lot safer than the people doing 105 km/hr riding bumpers and making unsafe lane changes.

savannah
October 4th, 2005, 03:29 PM
i was listening to the news radio station (i think am 640 or 680) and they were saying that the new common speed on the highways in gta is 120. That would explain why i always do 120-130 without getting a ticket. Also, this weekend dh was doing 150 on the 400, and we did not notice there was a cop behind us. The cop did not pull him over or anything, which i think is just luck. The radio station was actually criticizing all the drivers who are in the fast lane doing 110, and that they can't go into the middle lane, because their speed is too slow to safely switch lanes.
I tend to speed, but never in school zones or residential areas.

CyberKitten
October 4th, 2005, 03:34 PM
(it's funny that the majority of the people who give me the "slow down gesture" are from the generation where anything over 30 was bad and you were never going to be like your parents... My how you've changed! :D )

Prin, you assume too much, lol I am too young to be of the generation who did not trust anyone over 30. I am too young to be a hippie and too old to be a GenXer, sort of "stuck in the middle" as that horrid song goes, lol

But I see good and bad drivers in every generation. I once saw an elderly woman who ask a security guard at our hospital to help her read something yet she was heading out on the streets and I see a lot of teenagers who are supercautious. And I do think my generation began the designated driver rule which cuts down on accidents. I am not a perfect driver (I doubt anyone is except maybe some of those ppl who teach driver ed and seeing my brother do that part time (and he is 35), I wonder, lol (Seriously, he is great at that).

chico2
October 4th, 2005, 05:17 PM
I am 61yrs old and only had one ticket for speeding and that was in North Carolina.
I was driving my sweet Camaro(in1989) in the fast lane(2 lane Highway)and was probably speeding :D
I just about died when this,what seem to be 7 foot State Trooper,Stetson and tall leatherboots pulled me over.
All kinds of things went through my head,being jailed in the South like in the movies,having to hand over hundreds of $$$.
My husband who'd been sleeping,nearly had a heartattack :D
Anyway,this Trooper was the nicest guy,when I told him we had just discovered we left our luggage at home and we were on our way to Myrtle Beach which had just been hit by hurricane Hugo,I guess he symphatized and gave me a 60$ ticket to be payed when we got back home to Canada.

Still,here the norm on the QEW seems to be 120km/h and I think that is a decent speed,but you still see people flying by!
In town,if it's 60,I usually drive 70 and people who slow all traffic driving 50 drives me up the wall.

Prin
October 4th, 2005, 06:00 PM
It's funny about the difference between here and Calgary- here, photoradar doesn't work because they try to nail the top 15%, but that's everybody... In Calgary, my cousin got a ticket for going 53 in a 50. Everybody there is so good that the photoradar works... I hope we never change. :fingerscr

Roxy's_MA
October 4th, 2005, 06:11 PM
I have noticed people in Calgary seem to be nuts when it comes to driving. Edmonton isn't much better. I have heard Alberta supposedly has the worst drivers in Canada. :rolleyes:

I speed all the time, I really can't help it. I can handle driving the speed limit, but like chico I can't stand driving behind someone who can't manage to drive the speed limit. I always tell my BF when I get behind on of these, that there should be a minimum speed, and not a maximum.

Puppyluv
October 4th, 2005, 06:17 PM
It's funny about the difference between here and Calgary- here, photoradar doesn't work because they try to nail the top 15%, but that's everybody... In Calgary, my cousin got a ticket for going 53 in a 50. Everybody there is so good that the photoradar works... I hope we never change. :fingerscr

Don't even talk to me about photo-radar :evil: Let alone the fact that you get a ticket for 3 km over the speed limit, it's a lazy way of doing things. I have gotten one ticket, and yes I deserved it, I was going 70+ in a 50 zone (not residential though) and I payed out the ass for it-$175.
Police pull out the ol' radar guns at the end of the month (you know.. quota time) and just rack up the tickets. Also, there are manuals that they are given on how to properly set up the radars, so that speeds arent distorted. (They can't be on an incline/decline or turn) But no one ever reads these, so the radars are set up on big turns and the speeds are distorted, and people get tickets even if they don't deserve one. It should be noted though, that because of this, they are very easy to fight. Go to court and show that the radar was set up on a turn or a hill, and the ticket gets torn up. It also used to be really easy to fight the tickets because the cops never showed up to court. But now they get payed to go, and so that method has gone by the wayside.
The only real plus to pr, is that you don't get demerits.

Prin
October 4th, 2005, 06:21 PM
I haven't gotten a ticket since I left BC almost 5 years ago... Before that, I got quite a few. My record was 2 in one day in Ontario. :rolleyes: I also came in on the T-Can toward Calgary going 180km/h (I just wanted to get there already!) and then my cousin told me there were photo radar things all along... I didn't see any, and I didn't get a ticket, so it's all good. :evil:

The worst is in Manitoba. There was a yellow Beetle on the side of the road once and I didn't think anything of it, and it was a cop with a radar gun. What? I understand unmarked cars, but VW's? Craziness.

Rick C
October 4th, 2005, 06:29 PM
I pried the keys for the new Chrysler 300C out of Mrs. C's hands on Sunday afternoon and burst it up to 165 kmh on a lonely two lane nearby . . . didn't even break a sweat at 2800 rpms and riding smooth as silk. The speedometer goes up to 260 km and 7000 rpms.

That's the fastest I've ever gone on land but I can't top the 180 kmh Prin was doing!!

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
October 4th, 2005, 06:30 PM
That was just that time... The fastest I have ever gone was 200 in my dad's Toyota Avalon. You could barely notice that from inside the car. It was really smooth, but the dotted line on the highway was solid... Pretty nutty. Those were the days.

Puppyluv
October 4th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Driving with my dad is always interesting. He flies along the highways, never dropping below 150km/hr But his car never tops 3000 rpm, so it's such a smooth ride that you think you're going 110 tops. That is until the cops pull us over, and give him a reeming.

Roxy's_MA
October 4th, 2005, 06:36 PM
I used to drive a little Cavalier Z 24. The fastest I got to was 180 km/hr, then it governed out. I probably would have gone faster. I don't drive that fast anymore. The older I get the more nerves I develop.

jjgeonerd
October 4th, 2005, 06:56 PM
ooooooh...max speed stories! :D

210 km/hr (130mph) in my old '91 Lexus ES300 driving between Reno and Las Vegas...lots of long, straight 2-lane roads. I still had pedal left but I got nervous of a blowout (or a ticket) and slowed down.

193 km/hr (122 mph) on my motorcycle during a trackday a couple weeks ago. Had to slow down for a corner.

The motorcycle was way more fun! No cops to worry about. :evil:

Luvmypit
October 6th, 2005, 01:26 PM
I take the 401 everyday and every time I get on the express it is always at least 120 - 130 in the right lane. About 110 - 115 in the middle and right lane 100. I go 120 most every time and usually that is b/c everyone is doing the same

I think on the highway people should go over 100. If everyone is at least at 110 and your driving a long at 120 ish and some dumby is in the middle lane going 100 that can cause an accident. By law you can go with the flow of the traffic b/c its safer to do so.

Most I have gone is 220 on a ninja motorcycle on the DVP. Needless to say I demanded a car for a ride home.

Beaglemom
October 6th, 2005, 02:18 PM
I drive the 407 everday to work and part way home. I rarely go below 120km/h. I find 100km/h way to slow, especially if tractor trailers are passing me!

The fastest I've ever driven was 160 km/h, I was late for class that day and I really had to be there. It was one of those classes that you can't be late for!

In Europe a couple of years ago, we got nailed by photo radar in the mountains coming into Portugal from Spain. We got a $200 ticket going 173 km/h. Not sure why we were nabbed since people were flying by us! It was quite scarey to be pulled over by the GNR though, they are supposed really tough.

A couple of weeks ago, while driving in Arizona on our way to the Grand Canyon, my husband did 110 mph.

My husband drives a Corvette, and I know that he has to struggle to keep it below 130 km/h on the highway. With that car, it is way too tempting to speed and really let it loose! But, he is a target for the cops.

I never speed in a residential area where there are kids playing in parks or where there are schools. Normally, I don't speed more than 10 km/h over the speed limit either. (407 is the exception).

Prin
October 6th, 2005, 02:35 PM
They always say, "Speed kills" but it's not true- the difference in speed kills. The moron who is going 140, weaving through traffic is not a moron for going fast, he's a moron for doing it in traffic.

It's when one person is driving at a speed more or less than 30 or 40kms over everybody else that it gets really dangerous. So just as Joe Teen is going 160 on a busy day is bad, Joe Pops going 60 when everybody is going 120 is worse.