Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

two dogs die different breeds unknown cause

dennis in okla
October 2nd, 2005, 09:55 PM
ok heres my story at the beginning of 2005 i had 3 dogs a female boston mix 7yrs old and 2 dachshunds brother and sister 1 yr old i lost the male dachshund when he got out of the fence had chased him down to get him back but he had come up on a yard the had a pit in the yard and was attacked and killed so i brought him home and buried him in my backyard this happened feb 28 a few days later the people i got them from had another male from a second litter so i brought one home everything seemed fine they all got along and played mar 11th i noticed the female did not want to do anything and would lay on the couch and seems to limp a little and would not eat mar 12th i took her to the vet and when i put her down she seemed fine no limp so the vet said to just watch her mar 14th took her back to the vet to be checked out had a high temp and they took blood they thought it might be rocky mtn spotted fever results came back and wasn't but white blood cell count was high around 30,000 so they started her on cortisone and i think another drug we kept her at the vet hoping they would find out what was the cause sadly she died mar 17th. but this is not the end of the story this whole time the boston and the other dachshund are doing just fine until sept 24th the dogs love to go outside and at one point i went inside and the boston terrier had been laying on the porch and came in with me but was very slow she went and laid down at the end of the couch for the rest of the day put her up that night next day same thing but did not want to go outside
and laid at the end of the couch would not eat but would drink took her to the vet sept 26th she had a high temp and ran some test on her blood test came back white blood cell count 40.000 so they started her on cortisone and another drug and again she died sept 28th they tell me it was auto immune dificiancy seems very strange though it is only my dogs and no one elses i would like to know what is causing this as i have the male dachshund left thanks.

Lucky Rescue
October 2nd, 2005, 10:51 PM
That's awful. I'm so sorry about your dogs!:(

I"m not a vet or doctor of any kind, but I'm wondering if your dogs are getting into something toxic on your property that would cause such an elevation in white blood cells.

I suggest you search your property where the dogs go, and try and find anything that could be poisoning them - pesticides, herbicides, anti-freeze, chemicals of any kind.....?

Prin
October 2nd, 2005, 10:54 PM
Or a poisonous plant? We've had people on this site whose dogs were poisoned by the neighbor... :(