Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I have adopted!!!

sjat24
October 2nd, 2005, 06:45 PM
I am so happy!!! On friday Hubby and I adopted a 5month old black labrador from the SPCA, we named her Raven. She was a run away pup and had no name, the moment we saw her she was sticking her paw through the crate and was so calm. She melted our hearts. I am sure though she may have been in a home, she is well behave or she is a fast learner ( she knows her new name already). However the only problem I have is she pees in the house. I showed her the training pad everytime she pees on the floor and I walk her more than 3 times a day hoping she'll be emptied out by time I bring her home. Maybe she'll get better once she gets spayed, which is in early November. She can spend the night in her crate and sticks with her chew toys, which I am so happy about and I have only heard her bark once. My cats were freaked out at the begining but today they were watching Ravens every move and while Raven sleeps they sneak up to her and sniff her out LOL. Anyways I havent taken lots of pictures yet but here is one I have made up.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/sjat18/Raven.gif

Puppyluv
October 2nd, 2005, 06:54 PM
Congratulations!!!! :grouphug:
She's beautiful!!!!!
Give her some time with the peeing, she's in a brand new place, and it will probably take her a while to settle in.
Keep the pictures coming!!!!!

Lucky Rescue
October 2nd, 2005, 06:54 PM
Well congrats to you!! Very pretty girl and Raven is a lovely name.:)

Do NOT use training pads. You do not want a big dog thinking it's fine to pee in the house, so teach her to out right away.

She probably wasn't housetrained, so start now. Plus often even dogs who are housetrained will have a few accidents with the confusion and excitement of a new home.

When she's in the house, keep her attached to you by her leash, and the second she indicates she's thinking of peeing - sniffing or circling - rush her outside and praise like crazy when she goes. She'll catch on.

mafiaprincess
October 2nd, 2005, 06:57 PM
Congrats, what a beauty.

I'm with LR.. I have a potty boxed trained dog, and had to reteach when I moved. I wouldn never want to willingly teach a dog it's okay to potty in a home again. All you do is add more confusion to a dog that just moved and is already confused.

LL1
October 2nd, 2005, 07:10 PM
Congrats!She is lovely!

sjat24
October 2nd, 2005, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the peeing tip. But I have not yet learned her moves when she is ready to pee and i still dont know how to tell when she wants to go out.

:o

LoNScamp
October 2nd, 2005, 07:38 PM
Congrats, she is beautiful.

DLR is right, the worst thing you can do is use puppy pads, news paper etc. Also, sometimes dogs that come from shelters will pee in the house, they did it in the shelter kennel. My first GSD, did for about the first three days, then she was fine.

Prin
October 2nd, 2005, 10:19 PM
Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you. :)

TobsterMom
October 2nd, 2005, 10:26 PM
:love: Ooooh...what a pumpkin! Lucky you! :love:

As for the peeing thing, it's early days yet! When I rescued Zoe from the crazy lady (long story) she was really confused, but picked it up in no time. Consistency and lots of praise. Judging by her pic, she's a smart cookie ;)

SOS MIOW
October 2nd, 2005, 10:28 PM
You should train her to go out to do her business according to YOUR schedule, not hers.

As a pup, she will need to go out 5-6 times a day (usually after eating, drinking, playing, or when she wakes up from a nap).

After time, she will be able to 'hold it' longer and will adapt to a schedule set by you. If you work, she will have to learn to do both 'businesses' in the morning and hang in until you get home from work. If feeding in the morning, only give a small portion - wait about a half hour and then take her out a second time before leaving for work.

I have 2 dogs and they go out once in the morning, then again immediately after I get home from work, again after supper, and then last thing at night. Luckily I have a yard, so they get 2 trips outside in the morning (first thing and then 20 minutes after their small morning feeding).

Good luck and be patient!

:thumbs up

lunasnoopy
October 3rd, 2005, 04:02 AM
YOu are an angel to take in Raven. She is absolutely gorgeous!

Well done and I love you all animal shelter adopters!

lunasnoopy

ps. never buy an animal from a breeder or pet shop. Please. There are so many in the spca! Take one of those and live with a clear conscience. all dogs can be trained! Mine are 2 strays from the street and they are very well trained!