Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten questions

Okami
October 2nd, 2005, 12:29 PM
I'm going to pickup my new kitten in a few days and I just have a few questions to ask before I pick him up :).
1) How much should I feed him a day when he's a kitten? (wetfood)

2) Is it true that cats should only eat wet food? (I was talking the a pet store personel and they told me dry food isn't good)

3) If #2 is not true when should I start to gradually switch my cat to dry food?

4) I'm spaying my cat, but he's only 8 weeks old right now, when is the best time to do it?

CyberKitten
October 2nd, 2005, 01:14 PM
Reputable breeders will allow their kittens to leave their moms at 12 weeks, sometimes up to 15 weeks. They need that time to learn all the necessities of how to be a cat from their feline mama.

The following site provides this info re: feeding times:

http://www.kittenrescue.org/handbook.htm

"Depending on their age, kittens should be feed between 2-4 times a day. You'll be able to tell how hungry they are and get into a groove.

It is essential that we monitor kittens’ eating habits and if ever there is a decrease, you should seek medical advice. Kittens have far less reserve than adult cats and we need to support them even more than an adult."

The dry versus wet food is an ongoing debate and I personally consider my cat's dry food junk food, even if they like it. It is like me going to the Golden Arches, lol Others swear by it. I feed mine Wellness but there are other good brand names - Royal Canin, (sp?). I really like Wellness Products. Make sure there is not a lot of grain and carbs and more protein. Kittens (and cats) need protein! Unfortunately, many dry foods by their nature have corn and grain based ingredients which are not necessary to a cat. They are filling but not nutricious. Brands like Wellness are expensive but are well worth it - your cat is healthier and you save on vet bills in the long run.

AS for spaying, it depends on where you live as to whether early spay/neuter programs are available. Research shows there are no significant differences in outcomes between spaying a cat as a baby or at 4-6 months. My current "baby" was spayed at 4 months only because that was what was available. I would have opted for early if it had been offered. I would wait until the kitten is at least 12 weeks though!! I'd also not bring the kitten home until she is 12 weeks. Please talk to your breeder about this. Unless this is a rescue situation and there is no choice, your kitten needs as much time with her feline mom before she comes to you.

Lucky Rescue
October 2nd, 2005, 01:22 PM
Your kitten is a male? Then he'll be neutered and not spayed. Personally, I don't like to do this too early for males. Although our rescue kittens are spayed/neutered at 8 or 10 weeks, for my own pets, 5 months is soon enough, but the choice is yours.

Make the majority of his food canned. Cats, especially neutered males, very much need the water in the canned food to to flush out the bladder and avoid things like crystals and stones.

CyberKitten
October 2nd, 2005, 01:28 PM
Oops, I did not notice you refer to yourt kitten as him, sorry bout that!! I concur with Lucky!! With males, I think it's better to wait until they are older. I am just as happy I had to wait with YY truth be told. (even tho studies say both are safe). I did not however want her to experience any heat cycles!!!