Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

GRaphic Design

raingirl
October 2nd, 2005, 08:38 AM
Grr.

Bf is looking for a new job. He's revamping his resume and all, and I am looking up the jobs and emailing them to him.

What's pissing me off is that most of the jobs require web design experience. Well, when BF went to school, it was a "traditional" graphic design program, focusing on a lot of the traditional aspects of design like Typography and printed matter. So, they did not teach ANY web design at all.

Also, all their design was done on top of the line software on MACs, not PCs. Most design houses that are hiring are using crappy software (quark express..ok, not that crappy, but you could do better) on PCs, which they expect people to use.

I guess it's just annoying me because BF really needs a new job but it's going to be hard when they require skills he wasn't taught in school.

Prin
October 2nd, 2005, 11:47 AM
Can't he learn them out of school? Like buy the programs and figure them out? Maybe design a web page over and over?

jiorji
October 2nd, 2005, 11:52 AM
web design experience means you have to know HTML coding and other webpage coding such as CSS and java possibly, maybe some Flash.

graphic design is something different. In most graphic design courses you don't learn web design.(i went to art school :P) graphic design will mostly get you off working on stuff like advertising and book covers and logos. Web design is a TOTALLY different field.

BUT if your hubby KNOWS webdesign and knows what he's getting into, maybe making a portfolio of what he knows might help. Make up a number of fake website templates and burn them on a cd and when interview comes get him to hand it to the guy behind the desk to take a look to see that he can do it even thouugh he didn't learn in school. That'll mean he's a learner and can adapt to new ideas :cool: :thumbs up *wink*wink*

good luck

CyberKitten
October 2nd, 2005, 12:44 PM
Can he not take an online web design course - there are some great turorials online, I like Joe Burns's stuff (I took computer science courses myself but that was for fun and it helped me program, not to do HTML which is not programming (it does not compute), kind of a hobby, when I actually have time for such a thing). Joe Burns has these seperate titles on each area and you can learn as you go:

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/primers/jsp/ JavaScript

Also excellent is Laura LeMay - she of the Teach Yourself HTML in 14 Days (by staying up 24 hours, lol) - fame.

I had a site for one of her books online and will post it when I find the bookmark later.

HTML is really very easy and if your bf already understands graphic design, he should be able to grasp it quickly. I do a lot of CME's (continuing education for docs) and this is the world we live in - it is not static, contsantly changing and what we learned last year is obsolete in the next year. I find the docs - or anyone else who do not understand this- will not succeed in today's workplace.

He could try a tutorial and apply for the job and learn as he goes. I would guess most of the ppl in his work world are leraning on the job all the time. Surely, his intervierers would be impressed by the fact he is learning these processes and combining it with his experience.

raingirl
October 2nd, 2005, 12:48 PM
He knows basic HTML, and he knows flash well, but that's about it. I never thought about doing "fake" sites (I was thinking, how can he get experience when all the free sites for web pages are so limited in what you can do??

He actually built an amazing flash site once for a visual project he did on "the ghost in the machine" movie.

CyberKitten
October 2nd, 2005, 12:54 PM
Does your or his ISP not provide web space? Most give you a min of 5 megs but it is usually enough to show someone what you can do. I am not keen on the notion of a "ghost" site. Employers want to know what you have done and can do. Show them by creating something real!!!

raingirl
October 2nd, 2005, 12:59 PM
none of the ISP's in this area provide space anymore (I just checked). It would cost another $14.95 a month for a website with our ISP.

CyberKitten
October 2nd, 2005, 01:47 PM
What about signing up for a 30 day trial perioid at Zyweb - he does need to use their graphics which are pretty much the "canned" look in 3D - but I seem to recall they do not have ads in the trial period and he could use the web space. I realize most others - Tripod, Geocities, Freeservers, etc. have ads.

Anyone associated with a univ or workplace with a server? I have a friend (a phsyiotherapist) who just recently, without much hardware experience, set up a web site with his own server, using his Mac. It is not that difficult either. He could use Linux for which the code is free - as you prob know - . The only thing he'd have to pay for is the domain name. Server software is not that expensive and if you have an old computer, it could - er "serve" lol - as a dedicated server. I hope I am not overcomplicating things. There used to be more "free" web space available without ads. Let me do a quick search. (Not hopeful tho). I'd offer some of the hospital but evenm here, I have some of its stuff on my own personal web space, lol (now if I could let the govt claim that as a tax credit, lol)

CyberKitten
October 2nd, 2005, 01:54 PM
I found this one - not sure what the catch is: (and there usually is one!)

http://www.doteasy.com/Services/WebHosting/Zero/

The "catch" is you have to sign up for a domain name oir transfer an existing one. (Searching again)

CyberKitten
October 2nd, 2005, 02:00 PM
This one is not bad - 4.95 a month and it allows cgi scripting too!! Not bad at all!

http://www.netfirms.com/web-hosting-plus