Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Luxury Items

raingirl
October 1st, 2005, 03:25 PM
What are you your luxury items?

For instance, I will always buy Qtips, and not cheap brand cotton swabs, because they are just better, but I could care less what type of tissues I buy.

Same with Coke. I can only buy coke. I don't like the imitation brands.

No matter how broke I am, there are certain things that I will just not compromise on.

What things do you have to get the best of, and what things would you just get the cheaper versions?

CyberKitten
October 1st, 2005, 03:53 PM
Hmmm, interesting question. :)

I too ALWAYS buy coke, there are no other kinds, just very pale imitations. I could do commercials for the company I swear, lol I was once sitting in a marketing seminar - some silly thing the local Medical Association had put on for doctors in private practice (how to market your biz, yada yada - like I need to market when we have too many children with cancer!!!). The professor brought in to give it used an empty coke can as a prop and I have such poor self control or else I am easily influence but I bought a coke from a nearby machine as soon as I get out of there. And I am soooo irked that our cafeteria has a deal or should I say partnership with pepsi!!! I have to bring coke with me or else go to another hospital or the Student Union Building to get my coke!! Arrrrrrrggggghhhh!!! Even the hospital auxillary (bless their heart) sells pepsi. I even complained to their pres and brought it up at a Hospital Board Meeting, hehheh Such a crucial matter!! Up there with hiring a CEO, adverse med reactions and hospital wait times

Let's see, what else would I not scrimp on.

Cereal - has to be Kashi!!!! Not some brand name junk labelled as health/organic food. (I know, eating health food and drinking coke makes soo much sense, lol)

Roots clothing!! I love their stuff. Fortunately, there is a Roots outlet in Halifax. They have some nice stuff at 'my" university's book store tho - T shirts and hoodies and stuff.

There are some meds that are much better if you take or prescribe the real
thing and not the gereric. This is especially true of some pain relievers.

And it absolutely HAS to be Sussex Ginger ale; nothing else tastes half as good!!

Yogurt - Genericly named yogurt is usually not as good as the better brands.

I do not buy any generic stuff for the cats. It is all the best!! The good food will ensure I am not paying hefty vet bills in the future anyway.

Cereal Bars - in keeping with the above tho I have developed an addiction to Fruit Loops cereal bars. Oh they are sooo yummy!!!! But in my defense, it has cut way back on my consumption of chocolate.

In cooking, I have to use real vanilla!!!

I am sure there are other thing but they escape me for the moment - and I buy Qtips at the Dollar store tho, :D (But I won't use those awful tissues the hospital provides. I buy Kleenex or Facelle Royale 3 ply)

Puppyluv
October 1st, 2005, 04:02 PM
Hmm now that I think about it, I probably have too many "luxury" requirements.
Pickles: I just will not buy the cheapies. I'm a pickle fiend, and am very particular about them.
Dijon mustard (as some may have noticed in a previous thread, I am very particular about this)
I used to not care what type of toilet paper I used, and then my dad came to town and took me on a big grocery shopping trip. He bought me that ultra-super-cushy toilet paper, and now I can't go back.
"Facial Tissues" have to be the super soft kind. If I'm sick, I don't want to add a sore nose to it all.
Hmmm...
Pens, pencils and erasers. I just can't use the dollar-store variety.
Anything Layla related... she gets spoiled :D
Oh and of course Q-tips!! They are the only ones that don't bend when you clean out your ear!!!

CyberKitten
October 1st, 2005, 04:11 PM
Ohhh I forgopt, I HAVE to have Pilot pens, V5. No other type even count! And Papermate Sharpwriter pencils, lol

raingirl
October 1st, 2005, 05:03 PM
Heinz Ketchup! It's the only ketchup I will use.

TobsterMom
October 1st, 2005, 05:06 PM
Heinz Ketchup.
:cool:
I didn't see you post that raingirl! WILD!~

CyberKitten
October 1st, 2005, 05:47 PM
"There are no other kinds once you've tasted Heinz" Ditto for me on the ketchup!!!! Also if I have to have soup that is not home made, it is Campbell's.

JaydeDoggie
October 1st, 2005, 05:57 PM
INteresting question ...
I have to buy Qtips, the others just don't work as well. Kleenex is a much, as other make me sneeze! (defects the purpose huh?) Coca Cola all the way ... MIRACLE WHIP not some other crap ... ummm .... KRAFT Mac and Cheese, Kodak Film ... duno what else ... I'm very picky about things.

Prin
October 1st, 2005, 07:22 PM
I buy Zebra pens and pencils. They're just lighter in weight than the rest.

Otherwise, I am very much a brand name girl. My dad worked in pharmaceutical stuff for a long time and that's where I learned it. No generic drugs for this girl, and no no-name toilet paper either!

In a crunch, I have bought no name but I can't say it wasn't different. It's really different. It's like there are little tweaks missing.You know? Like not enough cotton at the end of the Qtip so you feel the stick poking through. Or wayyy too much salt in the soup. Or the toilet paper breaks down before its time. Or the non-Kleenex is very rough and thin... I don't know- I'm very picky as it is, I look for expiry dates on everything so maybe I notice more.

Like tea- if it's not REAL English Breakfast from England, I will know. Even though it can be cheaper tea, it has to be cheaper tea from England.

Oh, and my milk has to be Quebon. The Sealtest is too creamy.

Ya- Kodak film (but never "max"). Kodak developing (which is why I have 6 films waiting for development- the only place around here is Fuji and I can't get up the nerve to go).

kimbilly
October 1st, 2005, 08:00 PM
I am evenly split (I think), I will only buy Aveda Shampoo and Dermalogica Facial products, but when it comes to drugs I always go for the cheaper options.

We only use Heinz Ketchup and Hellmans Mayo, but we will by no name chicken \ Pasta \ Sauces etc.

Instant coffee has to be Nescafe, but tea can be anything. Coke has to be the real thing too.

Bentley on the other hand only has name stuff, Wellness food, Old Mother Hubard treats etc.

shannonRN
October 1st, 2005, 09:21 PM
Gosh, you folks are fussy :p I don't buy a lot of processed food, so brands aren't really an issue, but I don't fuss over whether my food is organic or if the bananas are Dole or anything. I can't think of much of anything I'm truly loyal to other than Tampax and the Jamaican Me Crazy coffee that I drink.

jjgeonerd
October 1st, 2005, 10:56 PM
I only buy good microbrew beer. No Budweiser, Bud light, Molson (for you Canadians :p ), Miller, etc. for me.

I also only buy good coffee, tea, and spices (we have a local spice and tea store here in Seattle).

...and Ducati...no Japanese motorcycles for me! :cool: ;)

I guess I have more than one! :D :rolleyes:

Rick C
October 1st, 2005, 10:58 PM
I'm brand loyal to pretty much only one thing . . . . my daily (1) Diet Coke . . . . and it has to be in a can . . . . . chilled ice cold.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
October 1st, 2005, 11:01 PM
Ice cold Diet coke... What about Durangos?

Writing4Fun
October 2nd, 2005, 02:29 AM
...and Ducati...no Japanese motorcycles for me! :cool: ;)
Dude! You ROCK!! Are you an owner or a fan?

raingirl
October 2nd, 2005, 08:17 AM
Yes! Tampax and Always! They are the best, and you can never go back to other brands once you try them!

Yes. Coffee for us too. We always get tim hortons ground coffee for our french press.

Rick C
October 2nd, 2005, 09:25 AM
Ice cold Diet coke... What about Durangos?

I thought we were talking about day-to-day peculiarities?

A daily diet coke, ice cold, in a can and not a bottle, is my daily peculiarity.

I'm like Woody Allen, I rarely go into shopping malls, I'm sitting here in sweats and a 12 year-old t-shirt as I'm typing this, I buy my office lunch (a salad) at the grocery store deli, read entire newspapers without noticing a single advertisement and generally my habit of putting $40 in my pocket on Monday still yields change on Friday, just like it did 15 years ago. The anti-consumer.

However, since you brought it up, I will sheepishly admit its true that we bought not only a new Durango last week but also a new Chrysler 300C . . . . both with V-8 hemis. . . . and the latter is definitely pure luxury. And damned fast. :highfive:

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
October 2nd, 2005, 12:20 PM
Two in one week? Umm... I know a girl.... that needs a scholarship... :o :D

jjgeonerd
October 2nd, 2005, 05:01 PM
Dude! You ROCK!! Are you an owner or a fan?
I have an '01 Monster 900 Cromo and my wife has an '04 Monster 620 Capirex. Saving up for a Multistrada...and a Sport 1000 and a... :rolleyes:

You?

Puppyluv
October 2nd, 2005, 05:12 PM
Yes. Coffee for us too. We always get tim hortons ground coffee for our french press.
Tim Hortons is Luxury?!?! I never understood you "Tim's Fans"... they're coffee takes like, well it tastes foul to me. :yuck:

CyberKitten
October 2nd, 2005, 05:36 PM
I much prefer Tim's to Starbucks!!! Cap anyway. I was a mtg not long ago where the coffee was horrid - tasted like it had been there all day and was v. strong. We joked about it and someone said "it's just like Starbucks" and most of us laughed in agreement because Starbucks is sooo strong!!!

I am not loyal to any particular vehicle but like my Durango after it saved my life - in part - (after Bullwinkle got in front of it) - and I like my Mustang. I like Mercedes but there is only one dealership. They are well made and I would put them in a luxuary caetgory even tho I don't currently own one.

Prin
October 2nd, 2005, 08:04 PM
Oooo I'm loyal to Second Cup. I get a half white/half brown hot chocolate with whip cream and vanilla sugar. mmmm. It's sweeter than the brown but not as sweet as the white.

As for cars, I will only ever drive something made by Honda or Toyota. I'm too practical. :o (and they rock)

Puppyluv
October 2nd, 2005, 08:09 PM
I almost never drink coffee because I can't get the stuff I like out here (which is probably for the better anyways.) My coffee-drinking habits are strongly influenced by my mom, who drinks the strongest coffee you could imagine (if she goes to starbucks or 2nd cup etc to get a coffee, she gets 1-2 extra shots in it, it make it "tollerably strong" :rolleyes: )
Cars.. I would take any kind, so long as it's not big, blue and owned by the STM :D I've only ever driven my parents cars, and thus have been spoiled, and have never experienced what it's like to drive a crappy one, but i'd take a crappy one now.

BoxerRescueMTL
October 2nd, 2005, 10:33 PM
Organic milk! hmmmm...Jo Malone perfume and shower gel. M.A.C make up, that I used to get an employee discount on for 6 years, so now I am hooked and have to pay full price (except when my friends are working ;) I can go on and on but I'll keep it short.

shannonRN
October 2nd, 2005, 11:47 PM
Not a luxury, but another brand to which I am die-hard loyal: Asics for running sneakers. Can't run without them.

As far as the coke/pepsi thing--I don't much care or drink much of either if I can help it, but wild cherry diet pepsi is the best, that stuff is like candy.

Prin
October 3rd, 2005, 01:04 AM
I like Clinique creams. I have a lot of different kinds... They're the non-oiliest of them all, IMO. And they don't animal test, so they say.

Oh, and any power tools I will ever buy will be DeWalt. ;)

Puppyluv
October 3rd, 2005, 08:11 AM
Not a luxury, but another brand to which I am die-hard loyal: Asics for running sneakers. Can't run without them.

I'm 100% with you on that. They're the only ones that fit my foot properly. In fact, there's only one model that fits my foot properly (and I'm sure you can guess where in the price range it falls). :evil:

Beaglemom
October 3rd, 2005, 09:08 AM
I too love my brand names. I love my Fila runners. Love my parasuco jeans. Will only buy Heinz Ketchup, Helmann's mayo, French's mustard, Belfish tuna, Smucker's jam and Kraft peanut butter. Am also very particular about my hair care products and makeup. That's all I can think of for now. I'm sure some more will come to mind.

I will only buy my pets the best that I can afford, no store name brand anything!

As for some other luxury items, I love my cellphone, can't live without it!

Rick C
October 3rd, 2005, 09:39 AM
Two in one week? Umm... I know a girl.... that needs a scholarship... :o :D

Unfortunately, Mrs. C spent all your college money on her new gangsta hot rod!!! :sorry:

http://www.ameinfo.com/images/news/8/16208-300dm.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Dogastrophe
October 3rd, 2005, 09:55 AM
Foodwise, I will always get the following:

Heinz ketchup
Premium Plus soda crackers
Kraft cheese slices
Kraft peanut butter
Cheese Whiz
Mircle Whip
Helman's mayo

I don't have a lot of brand loyalty on clothing and the like. On occassion when I'm at the gym I will notice that I am wearing Nike sneakers, adidas shirt, and champion shorts.

Prin
October 3rd, 2005, 11:57 AM
Unfortunately, Mrs. C spent all your college money on her new gangsta hot rod!!! :sorry:

http://www.ameinfo.com/images/news/8/16208-300dm.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
LOL At least she'll look fly? :D

Puppyluv and Shannon- you don't like New Balance? They're the best for running (according to my profs in Exercise Science). I'm a Vans girly myself. ;) (But I don't run that much, unless I'm really, really, REALLY late. :queen: )

Luvmypit
October 3rd, 2005, 01:05 PM
Ok my turn,

Have to have good makeup, face products and shampoo and conditioner!

Usually I use Aveeno, Pantene pro v (used for years), make up I like Merle norman and sometimes Mac

Oh and something I doscovered this weekend.... if you want to clean use good paper towels... arghh ... I bought the cheapest kind and you use way more each use because they do not absorb anything and fall apart quickly...

BF will buy the cheap chicken fingers and stuff all lumped together in a bag and expect me to eat it... no way hosea...its always dark meat and god only knows if it is really meat.

has to be coca cola classic... Have to have good jeans.. parasuco, mavi whatever fits my butt good and is always expensive... :rolleyes:

Otherwise everything else can be no name....... if there is anything else.

I must say though I dont spend a lot on myself (clothes, make up)but when I do I buy the good stuff

B/c well "im worth it"

Puppyluv
October 3rd, 2005, 01:59 PM
EEEK! The more I read this thread, the more I realize how much of a brand-slave I am. (And expensive brands at that :rolleyes: )
As for the runners, no I can't wear New Balance, they're too wide for my foot, even the AAA's. I have a long foot, with a narrow box and a very very narrow heel. Asics Gel Kayano are the only shoes that fit me,. ($250 later... and they last me 2 months what with the amount of running I do)

shannonRN
October 3rd, 2005, 02:08 PM
I've never quite understood the new balance thing. I've tried 2 pairs over the years, a trail runner and a standard running shoe, and didn't like either. Ended up wearing them to mow the lawn. I also like shoes with a fair amount of cushion and NB doesn't seem to offer much of that.

The gel Kayano was one of my top rated runners; the other 2 are Gel-1050 and now the Gel-1100. It's all about the Gel, I guess. NB just don't got the gel!

BMDLuver
October 3rd, 2005, 02:19 PM
I have an '01 Monster 900 Cromo and my wife has an '04 Monster 620 Capirex. Saving up for a Multistrada...and a Sport 1000 and a... :rolleyes:

You?
ummmmm, are those motorcycles? :o

jjgeonerd
October 3rd, 2005, 02:21 PM
ummmmm, are those motorcycles? :o

:D LOL...yes. Writing4Fun asked if I owned a Ducati, or just liked them.

Dog Dancer
October 4th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Had to laugh last week when I was buying the organic yogurt at the local market and chatting with the lady in front of me. She had the same brand and was going on how good it was and I had to admit I buy the junk with fruit in it and the organic was for the dog... She was not amused! :rolleyes:

Heinz ketchup, Dijon mustard, Qtips, good TP and kleenex. Used to buy only the best honey but now we make our own and it's better. Soup is normally Campbells, Diet Coke all the way. BF loves to buy the organic chickens but at $17 each I'm too cheap. I'd rather have good TP.

jessi76
October 4th, 2005, 12:11 PM
hmmm "luxury" items.....

definately Q-tips, Olay Age Defying face cleaner, Body Shop Body Butter, Victoria's Secret bras, Garnier Fruitis shampoo/conditioner/products, pepsi, Smuckers Jam, brand name Peanut Butter (generic peanut butter is aweful)

as for sneakers (I don't RUN unless it's to save my life), I must have Heely's. walk. run. roll.

savannah
October 4th, 2005, 01:13 PM
I also don't like New Balance, yet i hear all these good things about them. I found them really uncomfortable and bought Nike Shox instead

As for my family, we have to have Black Angus beef. We will not eat any other kind of beef, and we eat tons of beef app 3 times a week.

As for myself, the one luxury item i have is my diamond engagement ring. I read and watched the news on the difference on Moisanite V Diamond, and if you read about it, you will see that they are comparable, and with a big price difference. SO i had always told myself that i would prefer a moisanite, and with the extra money go on a great honeymoon etc. But when i got to choose my engagment ring, i went for the 2 ct diamond. It is the most expensive item i own, but when people tell me they love my ring, i can look them straight in the eye and say thanks.

I also have to have puffs with lotion.

I think my dogs get more luxury items than i do.

Puppyluv
October 4th, 2005, 03:45 PM
I love how this thread started out as "the items you just have to have, no matter how strapped for cash you are" into designer brands, jewelry etc. Says something about us eh? :rolleyes:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 4th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Actually I will buy whatever is on sale. Except for the dog food. I do splurge on corn chips and diet coke everyday afterwork.

Prin
October 4th, 2005, 05:23 PM
I love how this thread started out as "the items you just have to have, no matter how strapped for cash you are" into designer brands, jewelry etc. Says something about us eh? :rolleyes:
Really? That's what it was about? I thought it was "which things do you have to buy the brand name version of?" What? I'm all confused now. :confused:

Prin
October 4th, 2005, 05:24 PM
I'm right! Phew! You're the nut. All is right in the world again. :D
See?
What things do you have to get the best of, and what things would you just get the cheaper versions?

Puppyluv
October 4th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Hmm I guess you're right... I was going off of the line:

No matter how broke I am, there are certain things that I will just not compromise on.

Prin
October 4th, 2005, 05:45 PM
A calm, subtle example of how arguments can start, right?

Puppyluv
October 4th, 2005, 06:01 PM
How true! But then you get people like us who question themselves, not others :o

Prin
October 4th, 2005, 07:11 PM
LOL Of course, if you always think you're the nut, it always turns out ok. It's when you assume that the others are the nuts, then you make an "N" out of "U" and "T". :D

BeagleMum
October 4th, 2005, 07:22 PM
I guess I am picky too. Lets see...

Heinz Ketchup
Frenches Mustard (sp? - too lazy to walk to the fridge and check the spelling)
Tampax and Always
Miracle Whip
Pepsi
Kraft Dinner
Cheese Whiz
Campbell's soups
Soda Crackers (Not sure of the brand but it has to be the one in the red box)
Good shampoo and conditionner (Fructus, thermasilk, Ivory, Pantene, or Herbal)
Dove soap
Gain or Tide laundry soap
Bounce or fleecyliquid cascade dishwasher soap
Palmalive dish soap
Kraft peanut butter

hmmm, cant think of any more right now, I am sure that the rest will come to me.

Prin
October 4th, 2005, 07:23 PM
What's with all you guys using Always? Dry Weave? More like sandpaper! :eek:

glasslass
October 4th, 2005, 07:34 PM
I have to laugh about you Helmans lovers. We were living in Georgia for the first months after we were married. I brought home Helmans Mayonnaise and my hubby wouldn't try it until I turned the label around and showed him it's the same product as Best Foods. It just depends where you live. I still won't buy anything but Best Foods, which is what it's called here. I have a Grind & Brew coffeemaker that grinds the beans and brews the coffee 15 mins before my alarm goes off. Nothing better than drinking 2 cups while I watch One Life to Live on Soapnet in bed. The one luxury I've enjoyed for 29 years is a weekly housekeeper. I've had the same one the entire time and she's a jewel. She's a close friend after all these years.

Beaglemom
October 5th, 2005, 07:30 AM
I just remembered one more, Sunlight Laundry Detergent, but it has to be liquid! I know it costs more, but I will not use powder soap at all. It can be very harsh on clothes.

Prin, I too use Always, guess I just haven't found something else that I like better yet.

SnowDancer
October 5th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Bearing in mind that I seriously have to watch out for purines and oxalic acid in foods I am limited. Plus am extremely sensitive to products containing botanicals, algae and any form of acid. (Don't want to appear to be too much of a food/product snob.)

- Coke Classic (preferably in small glass bottle) - I know - acid - so 2 a week
- Chianti Classico or Riserva - again purines - but no headache from Chianti
- Parmigiano Cheese - not pre-shredded - in moderation
- Heinz Ketchup of course
- Organic Chocolate Milk
- Organic Beef for Me - Chicken for Husband and Dog
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (from Italy)
- Organic grind your own Peanut Butter for Husband
- Q-Tips
- Dove Unscented Bar Soap for Bath
- Erno Laszlo Skin Care for Very Dry Skin (older formulations - no acids)
- Chanel HydraBase Lipstick (One shade suits)
- Chanel Blush (again - only one shade suits)
- Chanel Eye Shadow quad
- Chanel Mascara
- If I have to have an anti-biotic must be name brand - have problems with most non-medicinal ingredients in generic versions
- Ivory Liquid Laundry Detergent
- Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream (Unscented)
- Neutrogena Body Emulsion (Unscented - spiked with a bit of almond oil)
- Arm & Hammer Baking Soda as a Household Cleaner
- Buy clothes at Consignment Shops since I am a difficult fit - who doesn't suit casual.
- My dog gets the best of everything.