Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

info for Lacey

willa
October 1st, 2005, 02:37 PM
Hi my name is Willa and I live in a small town in Southern Alberta. My husband and I have just retired.
We have a 9 year old ToyPoodle named Lacey. About 5 years ago she starterd putting on weight and was diagnosed with thyroid trouble , ever since then she has been on synthroid 200 mg, half a pill in the morning and also at night.
Soon after this was diagnosed her hair became real thin more like peach fuzz especially her back. Had blood work done and was told she has some abnormalities which could be cushings disease. Being on synthroid for 5 years can this cause abnormalities. Was not told what the abnormalities were but they now want to do extensive testing. She does not drink excessively or urinate any more than usual, to us nothing has changed.
Also can someone tell me how to get a urine sample from her, have tried now for three days and no go.
Thanks Willahttp://www.pets.ca/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=36#
Thumbs up

chico2
October 1st, 2005, 04:19 PM
Hi Willa,welcome to the Forum :pawprint:
I cannot answer your other questions,but I am sure someone else will.
As for the urine-sample,I needed one from my cat and I waited until he started pee,then I quickly held a small container under him and collected some urine.
He gave me a really strange look :D
I would think you'll have to do the same with the dog,you do not need an awful lot of urine,even a minute amount is enough for testing.
It's easier on the animal,rather than having your vet extract it.

Prin
October 1st, 2005, 07:05 PM
Welcome to the forum. :)
I'm sorry for all of your doggy troubles. You really are a great person for sticking with this doggy through all this. :love:

I'm the other way. I think it's easier to extract it at the vet. The sample will be more sterile too. You just have to make it there with a full bladder and they stick a syringe in through the underbelly and suck some out.