Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog urinates frequently

marimark
October 1st, 2005, 02:07 PM
I have a 5 yr old King Charles Cavalier mixed female, unspayed. She weighs about 12lbs and is and indoor/outdoor dog. She is paper trained, however the last few days she seems to be urinating as often as every 2-3 minutes, all over the place. Usually only a few drops come out. Also, she has had a little diahreah at times the last few days. Other than the urination, she seems totally fine and healthy and full of energy. I have 2 dogs, and the other one seems fine. Is there an easy cure to the problem? I want to avoid going to the vet because I am between pay periods and will not have money for another week.

Prin
October 1st, 2005, 02:11 PM
She needs a vet. She probably has a urinary tract infection at the very least. She can't wait a week. She really can't.

Lucky Rescue
October 1st, 2005, 02:15 PM
Agree with Prin. Your dog may be acting fine, but probably has a bladder infection which is very painful. This pain is what's causing her to try and urinate all the time. There is no "easy cure". She needs a vet and antibiotics now. Without vet care, the infection can spread to her kidneys.

Also if you want to avoid future HUGE expense, you should get her spayed. Should she get pyometra (the chances of which increase with age) she'll need emergency surgery to keep her alive and it won't be cheap!

Prin
October 1st, 2005, 02:16 PM
You can read about somebody here's experience with pyometra: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19615

justncase
October 2nd, 2005, 05:14 AM
Your dog may have a urinary tract infection. If there is blood in the urine then there is the possibility that a blockage could form in the urinary tract preventing your dog from being able to urinate at all. This is life-threatening . If your dog is experiencing this then you cannot afford to wait to get your dog to a vet. Cranberrry extract capsules (along with a somewhat increased fluid consumption help to flush the bacteria out of the bladder) have helped people and animals alike who have cystitis but there is always the possibility that a blockage could form quickly , so delay in getting medical attention is a big risk you may not want to take with your dog.

jawert1
October 2nd, 2005, 10:55 AM
Something to consider here too is asking your vet about payment arrangements, most vets are more concerned about the well-being of your animal rather than getting paid right up front. Don't be afraid of asking them, your dogs health and well being is far more important and they understand that as well.

SnowDancer
October 2nd, 2005, 11:03 AM
I agree with everyone - and of course getting your dog spayed. One thing I would be careful with though is the Cranberry capsules. JustInCase is correct when she wrote that they do help with urinary infections - unless of course you are me - Cranberry makes the problem worse for me - and as it turns out - is also a problem for my Eskimo dog. But I am acidic to the absolute extreme and do suffer from acid based kidney stones and urethritis. Which brings me of course to bladder stones - dogs don't get kidney stones. This is something that could also be a problem. And when the urethra becomes inflamed it is hard for urine to pass at one time - so yes, every 2 or 3 minutes - or just when you think you are done - give it 10 minutes and you are back in the bathroom. Some people can sleep through this - I can't.