Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Has Any One's Dog Ever Done This?

hmm0205
September 30th, 2005, 04:47 PM
:confused: Ok yesterday my dog (she is almost a year old) just started eating anything in her path outside, i am talking leaves, grass, anything, and it seemed to me like she was trying to induce her own vomiting. The whole time her stomach was going in and out like she was gagging. Now i was not extremely alarmed becuase she did this once like 6 mo ago. And this time it was exactly the same. She kept eating stuff then throwing up for like 30 mins until i guess she got whatever it was out of her system. I looked around the house both times to see if there was anything that she might have gotten into to make herself sick and both times found nothing. And after she is done she goes right back to normal so should i be worried? I called the vet both time and they just said bring her in if she doesn't stop, but she always does so i am not sure if my theory is right about something just not agreeing with her or not. Anybody ever heard of this?

Prin
September 30th, 2005, 08:53 PM
It's hard when you can't find a source.. I find it weird that she'll eat anything though. I've seen dogs eat a lot of grass and make themselves sick, but not leaves and other stuff...

Are you sure there are no pesticides or cleaning agents that she could have licked?

hmm0205
October 3rd, 2005, 09:20 AM
i didn't see anything, i looked around the house a couple of times too. I couldn't find anything that i think would make a dog react like that.

Prin
October 3rd, 2005, 01:08 PM
Is she still sick?

hmm0205
October 3rd, 2005, 08:29 PM
nope, just lasted that breif 20 or 30 mins

Prin
October 3rd, 2005, 08:44 PM
I think then it was just something wasn't sitting right and the doggy just did the doggy version of peroxide (induced her own vomitting). As long as it stops, doesn't get more frequent and she doesn't accidentally eat something harmful in her quest, I think it should be ok...

jawert1
October 4th, 2005, 12:51 PM
hey there, my 4 yr. old Shepherd mix does the same thing, will go outside, eat a ton of grass (I have to suppress the urge to moo at her), come inside and yak up all of it. 10 seconds later, she's fine again and running around like a nut wanting to play. I wouldn't be terribly concerned unless a) she doesn't stop after one or two upchucks and/or b) there's something other than grass or leaves in her vomit (blood, odd foreign materials, etc).

Dog Dancer
October 4th, 2005, 01:23 PM
My oldest dog is a worrier and whenever she's had stress the day before or something she'll eat a whack of grass and upchuck it. Just bile and grass. Normally if she eats a meal it helps with the nervous stomach problems too. I wouldn't worry too much about this. Like everyone else said if there's something foreign in the frab (read it backwards) then worry about it.

StinkyT
October 4th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Watch out for the sticks. My in-laws' bull terrier has a thing for sticks and will eat them unless we yell at him. Sticks can damage their digestive systems (piercing tissue) and has caused more than a few bouts of severe constipation.

Sometimes he'll throw up the sticks and leaves he eat. I don't know why he does it...

Dogastrophe
October 5th, 2005, 08:14 AM
With my three, Monty will only eat grass when his stomach is upset, Lucy and Jack eat it because they actually enjoy it. Jack will also try to eat leaves and dried worms. On occassion they will throw up a little bit of water with leaves, but otherwise they are fine.