Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help with 19 1/2 yr old dog

Becky454
September 30th, 2005, 04:29 PM
I have a chihuahua that is in bad health and needs to be euthanized. I am disabled and would like to know if there is a way I can get this done for free.

Trinitie
September 30th, 2005, 04:51 PM
I'm concerned that you're looking for the cheapest way to put your beloved pet, whom you say you've had since he was 5 weeks old. Is this how you'd like to say goodbye? My gut instinct won't be posted here, as this must be a very hard decision for you. However, I don't know if you'll receive very many good responses to this type of post.

If you can scrounge the money to feed him, or provide medical care, than you can request a payment plan from the vet who would perform the "service" to your beloved "Killer".

19 1/2 years is a long time to easily close the door on, and I don't know that I could do it so easily.

Members: Future posts, regarding this thread, should be "tactfully made".

Becky454
September 30th, 2005, 04:58 PM
I guess you really don't know unless you have walked in my shoes.

Puppyluv
September 30th, 2005, 05:01 PM
I originally put this on your other thread, but it seems you've changed it, so my response no longer makese sense there:

First off, I'm sorry that it's time for your chi to go. But it is nice to know that he had 19 years to enjoy. I know it can be tough to put a dog down, and I don't know if the best choice would be using someone who will do it for free. Generally "free services" are free for a reason. Is there anyway that you could possibly arrange a payment plan with your current vet? If you've been seeing the same vet for the whole 19years, I'm sure they understand your situation and would be willing to help.
Best of luck

chico2
September 30th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Becky,your wording seems a little harsh,but if he has lived for 19 1/2yrs with you,I am sure you loved him and took good care of him.
If the poor little dog is suffering,he deserves to be put down properly by his own vet,I assume you have one.
Being disabled,your income is probably limited,but I am sure your vet will understand and do the right thing,let you pay on a payment-plan.
Just please do not let your little dog suffer,he's been your comfort for many years and deserves better :pawprint:

Prin
September 30th, 2005, 08:56 PM
I'm sorry but I don't understand what being disabled has to do with the price of euthanization. Can you explain? I would understand if you were asking, "Can the vet come to my home to euthanize my dog?" which can be done, but why ask for it free?

Lucky Rescue
September 30th, 2005, 11:35 PM
I'm so sorry you are losing a companion of so many years. 19 is a very great age for any dog to attain, and I'm sure you took wonderful care of him.

Call your vet, preferably the one who has cared for your dog all these years. There is a chance he/she will do this final task for you without charge.

chico2
October 1st, 2005, 08:48 AM
Prin,being disabled,living on a disability-pension,you have a very small income.Many people needing the comfort and companion-ship of a pet,will sacrifice their own well-being to pay for their pet.
Still,it is absolutely imperative this little dog gets relief from suffering if he's sick,I am certain there must be a vet out there who will help out,I hope :fingerscr

LavenderRott
October 1st, 2005, 11:36 AM
I don't know about Canada, but in the States, many shelters offer this service at a reduced rate for people who live on a fixed income.

Becky454
October 1st, 2005, 01:19 PM
For your responses. I don't live in the city so it's hard to get to a vet that would be close. But I will do the best I can, and know with GOD's help. I will call around and see what options are available. Thank you again, and I will keep you all posted.

SnowDancer
October 1st, 2005, 01:47 PM
I agree with Deb's Lucky Rescue. Speak with your long time vet and hopefully he/she can assist - and perhaps come to your home. If there is a charge, perhaps it would be limited to the cost of the drugs - not the vet's time. Our Beagle lived to be nearly 20. He was fine one day and the next all functions started to shut down. Our Beagle's cat - found by him - also lived to be just shy of 20. Same story. We had to act fast before either pet experienced great pain. These were not pets that were going to just go to sleep on their own - they were fighting it to the end. If your vet is unable to assist you, he/she might just be able to arrange things on your behalf. If a payment plan is required, I would hope that your vet would work payments around say your monthly dog expenses - food, medicines if any, and future vaccines. I am sorry this is happening. But am also very happy for you that you have enjoyed so many wonderful years with your pup.

Prin
October 1st, 2005, 02:14 PM
Prin,being disabled,living on a disability-pension,you have a very small income.Many people needing the comfort and companion-ship of a pet,will sacrifice their own well-being to pay for their pet.
Still,it is absolutely imperative this little dog gets relief from suffering if he's sick,I am certain there must be a vet out there who will help out,I hope :fingerscr
Yes, it's rather obvious now that you tell me... :o Sorry.

Lucky Rescue
October 1st, 2005, 03:10 PM
Becky, my vet once euthanized my aged and sick cat for free, even though I didn't ask her to. The expense of euthanizing a very sick, old and tiny pet is minimal.

Call around, explain your situation and I'm sure some vet will help you out.

justncase
October 2nd, 2005, 05:59 AM
I have a chihuahua that is in bad health and needs to be euthanized. I am disabled and would like to know if there is a way I can get this done for free.

Is it possible to elaborate further as to why you say your dog is in " bad health"? Sometimes certain things can be easily corrected. There are members on this site who may possibly have gone through the health problems with their pet that you are now facing with your dog and who might be able to offer some suggestions or direction . Although it may or may not be the case with your dog, more than one person has deemed their pet to be hopelessly ill only to find that the pet was missing a key nutrient. Once that was provided, the pet recovered. Before you consider euthanasia, you may wish to elaborate a little more( we realize you may not be an medical expert but some idea as to what your dog is experiencing may help) on what you consider your dog's health problems to be.

TobsterMom
October 2nd, 2005, 10:32 AM
Is it possible to elaborate further as to why you say your dog is in " bad health"? Sometimes certain things can be easily corrected. There are members on this site who may possibly have gone through the health problems with their pet that you are now facing with your dog and who might be able to offer some suggestions or direction . Although it may or may not be the case with your dog, more than one person has deemed their pet to be hopelessly ill only to find that the pet was missing a key nutrient. Once that was provided, the pet recovered. Before you consider euthanasia, you may wish to elaborate a little more( we realize you may not be an medical expert but some idea as to what your dog is experiencing may help) on what you consider your dog's health problems to be.

I think the fact that the poor little thing is almost 20 years old explains everything.

Becky, you had a long wonderful life with your pet. I hope you find the help you need, and it brings peace to you and your pet. You must be a wonderful and caring pet owner to have enjoyed your baby for so long. :grouphug:

Becky454
October 2nd, 2005, 03:25 PM
I think Tobster Mom said it all.

justncase
October 2nd, 2005, 05:13 PM
I think the fact that the poor little thing is almost 20 years old explains everything.

Although one could understand the light in which that comment was said, too many times it can prevent a pet from getting help simply because of the age question. When this happens in a vet's office there are even more consequences. Sometimes, vets don't even want to see the animal, convincing the owner that the pet lived longer than it should have so why bother even finding out what's wrong. What is it called to deny a pet from getting the help that could have made it well? What is it called if the vet does it? Is there any difference if the pet owner does it? This type of attitude can prevent a pet owner from getting help for their pet, convinced that the vet would only discount and discredit their appeal for help simply because the pet is elderly. A pet, who could otherwise have been helped, has, many times, suffered needlessly as the result. If one is to look at the discrimination question concerning humans-age, race, disabilities, then why should there be a double standard when it comes to one's pet?

TobsterMom
October 2nd, 2005, 05:59 PM
I do understand what you're saying. I think as a pet owner, that if my dog lived to be 20 years old, has obviously been healthy and well taken care of.

I've seen an 18 year old chihuahua, blind, deaf, cognitive dysfunction, and cried half the time while walking in circles through it's own feces because she had lost control of her bowels...all not even knowing where or why she was. She had few teeth left, and could no longer eat very well.

We kenneled this dog at our vet while the owners went on vacation, it made me cry to see her howl out, not knowing why or able to hear herself, in the morning she would be covered in feces and food from circling her kennel all night, a result from her dementia. She would bite at us while we cleaned her fragile body. The owners did absolutely everything they could, and finally they had to make the heartbreaking decision to let the dog go in peace.

I was there that day, and comforted the owner, who needed someone who would understand, and let her relive all the special memories and moments with her, never judging her decision. It was a very difficult decision for her to make, and I was glad I could be there for her. The last moments, she smiled at her beloved pet and said, she's finally at peace, she looks like she's sleeping.

She definitely had quantity of life, it basically came down to quality.
RIP little Sarah :angel:

Prin
October 2nd, 2005, 08:55 PM
If a dog is 13 or 14, then yes, I would wonder if age hindered help, but 20? That's OLD for a doggy. Maybe in our lifetimes well see 20 as the norm, but that time certainly has not come yet.

Becky, this doggy was so lucky to have you. :grouphug:

Trinitie
October 3rd, 2005, 09:49 AM
I guess you really don't know unless you have walked in my shoes.I know plenty of disabled folks with pets, some who receive very little income, some who are well off and money isn't an issue. That's why I said what I said. Your post was very vague, and lots of filling in needed to be done. I'm sorry if I offended you. It was surely not intentional.

You've been given great advice here, such as talking to your long time vet. Obviously you've been taking great care of your Killer, otherwise 19 1/2 years would be impossible to achieve. Such great care must have come from a vet who knows your dog VERY well. Speak to them and see what you can arrange with them. Our thoughts and prayers with you and Killer.