Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Whining at night

SarahLynn123
September 30th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Lately Shadow has been whining/whimpering between 3 and 5am. I always get up and take her and the other dogs outside. If I let her out she just stands on the porch, she does the same thing if I go out with her. No going to the bathroom! (This has only been lately, she used to only whimper when

One night I slept through her whimpering and she went down stairs and did #1 and #2 on the kitchen floor, then came back upstairs to bed.

When I let her in from outside she goes right upstairs and lays down in my spot in the bed. My boyfriend sleeps through all this and she has no problem getting off the bed when I tell her to.

My question is should I ignore her whimpering and hope she doesn't have to go to the washroom or should I keep getting up and taking her outside?

Thanks
Sarah

BeagleMum
September 30th, 2005, 02:32 PM
For a second there I thought I had written that post and forgot about it.

Sydney whines through the night to go outside and as much as Spencer hates to get up from UNDER the warm covers, he insists on coming with us.

When we come back in the house, Spencer heads right back up to bed and lays down right in front of my pillow. Some nights I will move him but other night, if he looks really comfy, I will just cover him up, grab my pillow and sleep with my head at the other end of the bed. I know, I spoil him but I just canít help it, he is so cute.

Sorry, I would suggest that you keep taking her out because it is guaranteed that the one time you do ignore it, she will really have to go and then you wake up to a great surprise somewhere in the house.

Good luck.

SarahLynn123
September 30th, 2005, 02:37 PM
For a second there I thought I had written that post and forgot about it.

Sydney whines through the night to go outside and as much as Spencer hates to get up from UNDER the warm covers, he insists on coming with us.

When we come back in the house, Spencer heads right back up to bed and lays down right in front of my pillow. Some nights I will move him but other night, if he looks really comfy, I will just cover him up, grab my pillow and sleep with my head at the other end of the bed. I know, I spoil him but I just canít help it, he is so cute.

Sorry, I would suggest that you keep taking her out because it is guaranteed that the one time you do ignore it, she will really have to go and then you wake up to a great surprise somewhere in the house.

Good luck.

Thanks what I was thinking to. Sometimes I think she just wants my warm spot in the bed. I would leave sometimes, but she is huge and between her and my bf, Id have the mat on the floor! I dont mind if she sleeps on th efoot of the bed though!

Sorry to hear your going through this aswell!

LoNScamp
September 30th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Thanks what I was thinking to. Sometimes I think she just wants my warm spot in the bed. I would leave sometimes, but she is huge and between her and my bf, Id have the mat on the floor! I dont mind if she sleeps on th efoot of the bed though!

Sorry to hear your going through this aswell!

She has learned that if she whines she will get your attention, not only that but she will get to go upstairs and get into bed. She is deciding what the house rules are, where you should be. It sounds like she sleeps in the same room as you, I would put her elsewhere as soon as she starts to whine.

If you are concerned about her going to the bathroom during the night, put her in her a crate or a space that is small enough that it will discourage her from doing so.

I would not continue with the routine that has developed particularly as she doesn't need to "toilet". You may even want to start having her sleep elsewhere for a while, then try letting her sleep in the bedroom, relocating her when the whining starts. It may take a bit but, she'll learn some behaviours have a not so good conseqence.

Trinitie
September 30th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Very good advice LoNScamp. It sounds as if you've been there before.

LoNScamp
September 30th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Very good advice LoNScamp. It sounds as if you've been there before.

Thanks, glad to say I haven't, but have seen it happen to a lot of other people.