Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another "P'O'ed cat" question

Rick C
September 30th, 2005, 02:52 PM
We have four cats and two Goldens in our household.

One cat, Maude, a female, has taken up the disturbing habit of peeing/spraying furniture, usually at night when no one is around and usually in a spot where one of our other cats, a dominant one, Polly, has been laying around.

Maude and Daisy are feral cats who spent their formative months growing up in the wild before washing up on an acreage half-starved . . . and finding their way to us. Polly is your typical domesticated cat.

Litter boxes - there are three - are cleaned three times a day.

Maude absolutely adores Abby and Keeper so they are not the issue.

We are assuming Maude is displeased with Polly. Maude, Daisy and Skyler are indoor cats. Polly, who is disabled with her two rear feet missing, is taken outside with constant supervision.

Any comments?

Is Maude jealous because Polly gets to go outside?:

http://www.goldentales.ca/P1120047_edited-1.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

CyberKitten
September 30th, 2005, 05:15 PM
AsI replied to a similar question:

We have this tendancy to anthropomorphisize our animals and this is just the wrong way to think about it. Cats think like, well, CATS! They do not have human emotions. They do have strong feelings though and will demonstrate them in varying ways. You need to translate from feline to human.

Usually though, inappropriate urination is an indication your cat is attempting to communicate something to you. Either he is ill, hates the litter box (it is not clean enuf, in a place he dislikes,) or is stressed about something. The first course of action is a trip to the vet to rule out health probs and then if it is not that, work on what the behaviour issue is. Also, you do have to clean the area extremely well!!!! Don;t use Javex since the kitty will think the amonia smell is urine and will of course think that is where he should go.

I always keep my cats inside of course but they go out on leashes. Could you maybe try her on a leash outside - tho it is easier to start cats when they are kittens on leashes.

Good luck!

Roxy's_MA
September 30th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Cyberkitten,

you must have a brilliant vocabulary, I had to look this one up anthropomorphisize -To ascribe human characteristics to things not human (just so everyone else knows)

Prin
October 1st, 2005, 01:30 AM
I would laugh if one day we see "the light" and find out our animals really were as human as we projected... You know, like "You fed me 4 kibbles less than yesterday. Take that, you a**!!"

chico2
October 1st, 2005, 09:04 AM
Rick,I have a cat who sprays,he can go weeks without doing it,then he goes again...he is the main reason we have no more carpeting.
To try to figure out why,I guess you need to be a cat :D
He is a very laid-back sweet Tabby,but he gets excited seeing other creatures outside,or gets in a lovey mood to chase Chico around(they're gay :D )and will rub his face and turn and spray,then go to the water-dish for a refill :eek:
He was checked for UTI,so there is no medical problem,I have used citrus-sprays etc...but when he gets in this mood,all I can do is clean it up :confused:
Giving him up was never an option,he's my love-bug,cleaning the spot with a good cleaner keeps any smell away.
He knows he's doing something wrong,when my voice get stern in a"Rocky,no!!" But it only helps until the next time he gets excited.
In your case it could be because she sees Polly outside,they cannot tell if it is an intruding strange cat or not.They don't know each other by sight,only by smell.

Rick C
October 1st, 2005, 01:13 PM
I was mostly kidding about the "jealousy" thing . . . .

But it does appear to be about Polly as I said - Polly's arrival coincided with the behaviour. . . . the litter box area is very clean and the boxes are cleaned out three times a day.

Even though Polly is only two-footed, she has gradually become top cat in the house and both Maude and Daisy keep their distance lest they get whacked . . . . but Maude is the more assertive and is leaving her little messages around, probably aimed at Polly. Maude was also frequently beating up Skyler when he was growing up but that's stopped.

Its probably a societal thing that really can't be remedied. Right now Carol is accepting of the situation in the sense she's willing to clean up whatever might periodically happen (I'm gone all day at the office) . . . . but if the frequency were to pick up then we'd have to think a little harder about it.

The luxuriant Maude . . . .

http://www.goldentales.ca/P1030062_edited-1.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

chico2
October 1st, 2005, 02:41 PM
Aww Rick,she's a beauty...females(cats) tend to be a little more temperamental,a little"bitchy".
But she's so beautiful,I'd forgive her :D
I believe cats can get jealous,especially my Chico,if we call Rocky or Vinnie,Chico comes running as if saying"Here I am,what do you want with them!!"

LM1313
October 3rd, 2005, 01:06 PM
Are the cats neutered/spayed? I know neutering cuts down on the tendency to spray, although some cats will still do it. :)

The first thing to do is wash the urine out, because it's like a beacon that says, "Urine here! Add some more!" It's not enough for it not to be detectable by humans, it has to be removed to the point where the cat can't smell it--and they have 100 times the smelling ability we do. :) There are enzymic cleaners you can get at the pet supply store that can do the trick. They also sell small handheld blacklights that can help you detect any urine you can't see/smell. (Yes, it glows under blacklight. Hee!)

Does Maude usually spray in one particular place? How about feeding her in the area where she usually sprays? Most cats won't "go" where they eat (or sleep.) Also, does Maude usually hang out where Polly does? Maybe it doesn't have to do with Polly, maybe she just considers that the edge of her "territory" and wants to mark the perimeter. If that's the case, getting Maude to spend more time in those rooms might help.

Also, there' s a great product called Feliway that you can get from pet supply stores . . . it mimics the scent glands that kitties have in their chins. Not only does the smell tend to relax cats, but cats don't usually spray in areas that they've chin-marked. :)

Other than that, just try to associate Polly's presence with positive things, I guess. Feed Maude treats when she's "nice" to Polly.

They are both gorgeous kitties! I hope Maude gets over her jealousy issue or whatever it is!

~LM~

celena
October 23rd, 2005, 02:40 PM
MM

I peaked at your thread since I had a simular problem and wanted to see what was suggested for you.

Wow! Glad I did it was worth the time just to see your beautiful cats, and incidently your excellent photography.

OK gush time over. :) Hope your problem resoves itself as well.

Take care