Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Odd behaviour

raingirl
September 30th, 2005, 07:58 AM
I was cleaning last weekend and found a squeaky rubber blow fish (can't remember where I got it) and decided to give it to Odin. It's just big enough so he can't get it all in his mouth.

I sqeaked it a few times, and Odin took it, and he was being super gentle with it. It was so weird. It was almost like he was babying it like it was alive (I guess because it was so loud). He would put it gently in his mouth, walk over somewhere, put it down, and lick it.

The weird part is he wouldn't sit still for more than 5 seconds. He would lay down, put it down, get up, pick it up, go out of the room, turn around, pace a little (like he couldn't decide what to do) then come back, sit down with it, and get back up again. He kept going from room to room doing this.

At one point I wanted to see if he would leave it if I enticed him with a cookie. He put it down on his bed, walked 2 steps into the kitchen for the cookie, then (as if he was scared) went back to the toy to watch it.

Anyone know why he was doing this? It was so bizarre that eventually I think he needed a break from the toy so I took it away.

LoNScamp
September 30th, 2005, 09:17 AM
The only time I have seen something this happen was when a dog I rescued came into heat about 4 weeks after she had finished one. She was being spayed and the vet called to say she was in heat again, he discover this after he had made the incision so the spay took place. She decided that one of her toys was "her baby" and did the same thing. Only difference being she would get aggressive if one of the other dogs went near it. I had to take it away from her.

I've not heard or seen it happen other than that one time, maybe someone else has.

raingirl
September 30th, 2005, 09:29 AM
What's funny is that he is a boy (of course, lacking his boy parts) but still...

He didn't mind if I took it away though.

PetFriendly
September 30th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Is Odin very sensitive? Maybe he thinks the toy was 'hurt' ?

Prin
September 30th, 2005, 11:34 AM
My doggies both think the squeakies are hurt. When I threw one once, the squeaker broke and Boo started chewing it like mad, but normally, if the squeaker works, they won't squeak it and if I do, they come and take it away from me... :D

mafiaprincess
September 30th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Cider destroyed all her stufties but one bear.. It was her baby.. She 'gently' chewed off the ears and tail... But didn't break it the way she did with all her others.. It was weird. Carried it everywhere. Although she did eventually destroy it anyhow. I wanted ot get her another, but as many times as I've repaired stufties, they get so broken so fast.