Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Interesting article

justncase
September 30th, 2005, 03:02 AM
I came across an interesting article

http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=6aa09edc-5f5e-478b-be7c-15f99570d909

TobsterMom
September 30th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Lucky for me, I only came across this situation once when I worked at the vet. I know I wouldn't sleep that night if things didn't turn up like they did.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=11399

chico2
September 30th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Tobstersmom,I remember little Tea(Zoe),it was one of those stories that makes you all teary-eyed and you were an absolute angel.
How's Zoe doing?

TobsterMom
September 30th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Zoe is absolutely spoiled! We moved, so we don't get to see her, but we keep in contact. She has the run of the house, which she deserves :) and she's treated like a princess! I often wish we had of kept her, but I felt in my heart that she would be best off being the only "child" and I was right!

She is so smart, and trained so well. She did have an issue with chewing and digging in the trash, but she's over that now. She learned to trust humans again which is great. I think because she was so young, she forgot about the mean crazy lady. I keep in contact with the staff at the vet. They told me she phoned once, and after they were very cold with her, she hasn't bothered since. She doesn't deserve to know anything about Zoe, and that's how I want to keep it.

I'll see if I can get some recent pics of her!

Prin
September 30th, 2005, 12:24 PM
They should have an interprovince swap. They give the first needle, the people pretend to cry about the pet they don't really love and then the vet ships the pet to another province-- like a witness protection program for the pet.

I have to say, while I worked at the vet, the best way I found to cope with putting animals down for stupid reasons was to think, "If s/he doesn't die now, s/he'll spend a lifetime with this a-hole." You know?

Roxy's_MA
September 30th, 2005, 12:25 PM
I have an Aunt the used to be a vet. She quit after 10 years of practice for the exact reason the article states. She was absoulutly grief stricken about having to euthanize so many animals that where either healthy, or that needed treatment the owners didn't want to pay for

She eneded up becoming a nurse for the US navy.

animatch
October 1st, 2005, 08:16 AM
about this article: I find that many vets just do what the client wants & don't always think of the animal & reason, it is very rare that vets will take the time to educate properly or refer to other vets & rescues. More vets should think of the animal first, declawing, docking, cropping, euthanizing, devocalizing, etc... it is not necessary....sterilization is.